• Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    Verrry Interesting
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I'd even say, reeeeally interesting!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    That'd do it. image
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I just LOVE the toning on that token. Is it pure gold?? I'd assume so, but then there are people who claim that pure gold can't tone.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    I like it a lot! Now that I have seen it can you give me a little history on it?
    TIA,
    Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Never seen one, that one is really sharpimage
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image What's the story behind it?

Cathy

• Options
    bonkroodbonkrood Posts: 796 ✭✭✭
    African Popper ?
    image Steam Power
  • Options

<< <i>African Popper ? >>

Julio Popper. Extremely rare El Paramo, Tierra del Fuego, Argentina private gold issue, unpriced in Janson.
    "Think of the Press as a great keyboard on which the Government can play" – Joseph Goebbels

"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media" - William Colby, former CIA director
  • Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The piece is an excessively rare 5-Gramo, struck in El Paramo, Tierra del Fuego by Julius Popper, a Romanian born adventurer. Popper and a band of mercenaries established themselves in Patagonia as the Lavaderos de Oro del Sud (gold washers of the South), and issued their own coins and stamps. They also carried out their own brutal form of martial law, essentially warring with anyone that encroached upon their gold-panning operations.

This is one of only three reported examples of Popper's 5-Gramo struck at El Paramo. Of the other two, one is apparently lost, and the other is permanently impounded in an Argentine museum's collection.

The toning on this piece is the result of a relatively high concentration of silver and copper in the unrefined gold that Popper used in the pieces. You find similar toning on California Fractional pieces that were struck from raw gold (refined from gold dust).

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options

The story behind this piece makes it very interesting.

Are there other denominations, and do you know how this piece survived?

Bob
    I like Ikes!! But I especially like Viking Ships, Swedish Plate Money, and all coins Scandinavian.
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Popper also struck Gramo pieces and issued Gramos and 5-Gramos in Buenos Aires. The Buenos Aires pieces were struck using modern equipment and lack the crude charm of the El Paramo issues.

I'm unsure as to how this piece managed to survive, although I suspect it may have been part of a group that was sent to a member of the Argentine military in 1889 - that would explain the fact that the piece is essentially as made.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    Learn something new her every day. Great history lesson.
  • Options
    Thanks for the additional information about this piece.

It is learning the history associated with coins like this that make Numismatics so interesting.

Bob
    I like Ikes!! But I especially like Viking Ships, Swedish Plate Money, and all coins Scandinavian.
    imageimageimageimageimage