Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Need Opinion - odd eBay dealing

To give some background I've won like 8 previous auctions from this guy with no issue whatsoever. Anyway, I won 3 more Saturday night and received this email the next day:

"Thanks for once again bidding on our auctions.
I haven't sent the invoice yet for the following reason.
I can gat all the packs into one box except the 1998 Pinnacle inside the
can. By combining them it would save you $15.00 in shipping but if I mail the
can separately it would cost you an additional $4.50 just to send it.
Please advise me if you want me to send the can or not."

My answer:

"Can you substitute a different pack from 1998 for that can instead? That
would be fine with me, that way you can send everything together."

His reply:

"Thank you for yor answer.
I have no replacement of the pack.
I am insulted by the request.
Your invoice for the purchase will be sent."

How on earth is asking for a different pack an insult?? His options were basically send the can by itself and charge an extra $4.50 shipping or not send it at all meaning I get one less pack. I think this is being a bit of a drama queen here. I am tempted to tell him to piss off and just not pay for the auction and let him relist them. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    who is this guy? i would tell him get a bigger box.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

Sure, that sounds real grown-up. Don't pay for the auction and get into a feedback war because you don't like the tone a seller took with you in an email.

The seller's a jerk. So what? Pay the man and don't bid on his future auctions.
  • Options
    Ridiculous. Especially for a repeat buyer.

Tell him to do what he has to do, but also politely tell him that he's lost you as a customer.
    If you have a moment, please check out our E-bay auctions.
    our e-bay auctions

• Options
    He also screwed me with shipping now because of it. He says he will combine shipping charges for multiple auctions won. I previously won 5 auctions one night for 278 packs and they were shipped for $27 (vs $8.50 each to total $42.50). Well I just got my invoice for these 3 auctions (186 total packs) and he charged me $25.50. What a jackass. What sucks is he has some great auctions and I wanted to keep bidding but not anymore. He sells unopened packs of like 97/98/99/00/01, etc and cheap as heck. For the first 278 packs I paid $127 including S/H and book value on what I pulled is well over $2000. Oh well.
  • Options
    kingraider75kingraider75 Posts: 1,500 ✭✭
    book value is probably worthless on packs. Maybe he breaks boxes and waits until all the odds are against him pulling any more money cards. Then he dumps the packs on ebay.

As for his box size issue, tell him to go get some flat rate boxes at the Post Office. Then he can surely fit 200 packs into one of those for $8.00 shipping nation wide.
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options
    Perhaps he does break boxes and sell what he thinks are loser packs but he missed quite a bit. I pulled many high dollar jersey and autograph cards and even some atomic refractors and other cards similar. Many having a book value of $50-100 or more. Plus for $100 I had the joy of opening 278 packs and finding alot of really kewl cards. To me it was a steal.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭
    Not sure what the seller was saying exactly. He just wanted $4.50 more? I would try to figure out a fair price to pay for postage, pay it, get your cards, enjoy opening them, and consider not buying from him again... unless he apologies.
  • Options
    Yeah he wanted $4.50 more just to send the can of 1998 Pinnacle. My reply was could he substitute a different pack that would fit in the current box so I'd avoid paying $4.50 for essentially 1 item. I thought that was a reasonable request and was quite surprised at his reply.
    Oh well, I sent payment....we'll see how it goes
  • Options
    ok case closed. i got a nice explanation of where the seller was coming from and an apology so we are all squared away. i told him there was obviously misunderstandings on both sides and let's just move on. fortunately i have managed to avoid my first eBay dilemma. image