Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Poll - What's better? Find a PSA 9 on ebay or bust tons of packs and get a 9 in a submission

Just curious. Especially for newer issues, it seems like it is better to have someone else do the work, but it is definitely a rush to get a submission back with 9s.

Comments

• Options
    I've been buying some wax to either try and find cards that I need or to submit cards I might be able to flip for a few $$. For the most part the results have been disappointing in trying to find clean cards from the wax I have opened. I might submit a little here and there but in the long run it's cheaper just to buy what you need. Can't see spending $500+ on a box and getting nothing that would be grade worthy.
  • Options
    achteyachtey Posts: 304 ✭✭✭
    To me it feels better to have cards in my sets that I actually found and had graded then ones I bought off ebay. But I've done both as it is cheaper in the long run. But if I had a preference, I'd choose to submit all my own cards.

Josh
    The world meets no one half way. If you want it you have to go get it.
  • Options
    I love the thrill of busting packs and finding that really great card!! If I feel that it's worthy of a 9 or 10 I submit it and sell it - I keep all the rest. I've added about 1000 cards over the last month and just about broke even on cost vs sales. But even if it cost me more than I sold, I still would bust packs. image
    << image >>
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    The latter.

Eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    I find it far more satisfying to find the cards and submit them myself. Still, it is more economical to buy them graded.
  • Options
    Everyone's definition of "better" is different:

If yours = cheaper, then you'll go with eBay
    If yours = more thrilling, then you'll go with busting packs
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭

<< <i>Everyone's definition of "better" is different:

If yours = cheaper, then you'll go with eBay
    If yours = more thrilling, then you'll go with busting packs >>

Or for a player set collector, some cards will never come up if you don't submit yourself, so it could be waiting vs. owning.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never saw a pack I didn't want to rip!

But, if I only want one card - I don't want a couple of thousand cards to do something with. Have been there, done that and done that and done that.

And will continue to do that...cause I like ripping!!!

Next best? Find the card raw for cheap at a show and have bragging rights!!

E.g. - bought a 61F #46 IA Baylor for 30$ - had it graded - came back a 9!

Not sure of the SMR but I know it's way more than 30 bucks! BTW, this has rarely happened for me! Was a fluke!

And last would be to buy a 9 on ebay.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    I love busting packs, but buying raw off eBay and getting a 9 takes the cake for me.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    KremsKrems Posts: 347 ✭✭
    There is nothing like seeing the grades when your submission pops! Plus if you send the card in raw you always have a shot at a 10...but I guess you have a shot at an 8 or less also
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    3. Ebay purchase
    2. Wax rip
    1. Card I pull out of my collection that I bought when new back in 197?.

I love MY cards that I boguht when new. I don't have too many 9's in my cards from 1974-77 as I was looking at them too much back then but I have managed to pull a couple!
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭✭
    by the way, smr on that elgin is $700, wow...

Sweet card, I have no idea if it sells above/below smr though. But either way, it's akeeper.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS