Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Update- BGS 8.5 comes back from PSA - "trimmed"

Update on the BGS 8.5 card we sent to PSA for crossover and it came back "evidence of trimming". I did talk to Jeremy Murray at Beckett as was suggested. He said if card is in a Beckett holder Beckett will stand behind it but nothing else they can do. As others on this Board mentioned he said that Beckett will grade a card from an uncut sheet while PSA will not and that could be a answer (this is an 82 Topps Ripken). We sent the card in with a minimum grade of 9 and from what I have heard and read that can cause the company to err on the side of caution and not grade the card rather than bust it out and then decide it doesn't deserve the minimum grade designated. Anyway after talking to Beckett and reading the comments I am comfortable that this is a matter of an abundance of caution in grading and does not necessarily mean the card is really trimmed. It is Beckett's position that they stand by the 8.5 grade so I think we can sell or trade the card as a Beckett 8.5 in good conscience. I guess the lesson is not to seek crossover on high graded cards - but we have had some success with crossovers in the past. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Bob

Comments

• I think potential buyers should be told that PSA believes the card is trimmed.
    Kosmo
  • Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Believes it is trimmed, still does not mean that it is.

There is only one way to put an end to this. Crack it and send it in raw.
  • I would measure it through the case. I had a 1994 A-Rod Collector's choice Gold Signature BGS 8.5 (that I shelled out $260 for) that came back from PSA and GAI as trimmed. When I measured it through the case, it was clearly short (almost 1/16 too short). I sent some angry emails to beckett about it, but there wasn't anything they would/could do.
  • what does "stand behind it" means? they stand behind their grading but if another company deems the card trimmed then are they reimbursing you?
  • It means, they arent going to do anything about it
  • I assume they will stand behind their grading, means that won't admit they might have made a mistake.
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • ON AVG 77% of cards i have sent to psa in any other holder have come back trimed or min grade not ment.

But when i crack the very same cards over 92% have crossed to either the same grade or higher and then 50 % of the remaining 8% have graded the 2nd time around in raw form.

I prefer psa as my grtading company of choice but i have made this point many times on this board
    PSA cross over as a joke !!!!!!!!!

If you want the card to cross you better crack it or your just wasting $
  • CounselorCounselor Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭
    After reading some of these comments we did measure the card through the case and it measured fine. Because measuring through the case is difficult we compated it to a PSA 10 card we have and both cards measured the same through the case. Same with a BGS 9 we have.
    Beckett position seems to be we graded it and we are comfortable that it is not a trimmed card - they say they have the same concerns on crossovers and would rather send a card back and not grade it rathter than take a chance on busting it out of the holder and then finding a problem. But they did not offer to send me any money or even look at the card - their opinion stands that the card is not trimmed. They did say that they will grade cards cut from sheets while PSA will not and if that is the case with this card PSA will not grade it so might just send it back with "evidence of trimming".

Bob
  • Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

All of a sudden i that line from Chris Farley pop in my head----" Hell, i'll throw a stamp on it and guarantee it's a piece of image"