Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Baseball Cards: What rookies are poised for a jump in price?

Hey everyone,

I know, I know. Collect who you like and not players you hope are going to be worth something someday. But I admit I like speculating about what baseball rookies might be "sleepers" investment-wise. Of course, my prognastic powers have failed me before. Hence, my huge Phil Plantier collection. image

Here are some rookies that I think have potential:

1998 Leaf Rookies & Stars Mike Lowell
1998 Bowman Certifield Auto Mike Lowell

I think Lowell might have a monster year at Fenway and his rookies are cheap!

1998 Leaf Rookies & Stars Frank Catalanatto

This guy hits close to .300 in the two spot for the Jays every year. I think he is due for a big year, now that the Jays have added two big boppers behind him in Glaus and Overbay. His rookie card is cheap.

1992 Bowman Carlos Delgado

One of the game's most consistent and underrated sluggers comes to the Big Apple. He is getting close to 400 homers and he is just a good all-around hitter.

What does everyone else think?

TextTextText

Comments

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Being a long time Met fan i assume Delgado will tank this season ala Richie Hebner disease.

The latest casualty was Beltran of this famous disease.

George Foster had it.

The list is long and painful.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Being a long time Met fan i assume Delgado will tank this season ala Richie Hebner disease.

The latest casualty was Beltran of this famous disease.

George Foster had it.

The list is long and painful.

Steve >>

Ouch! That hurts! But I am afraid you are right. No matter who they get, they only get worse.

Matt
  • Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen any rookies cards yet (or cards period), but I think Jonathan Papelbon will have a great future in the major leagues. Everyone on the Red Sox is already saying that he's the next Roger Clemens.
  • Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    [double post]
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Writer
    I don't do the "prospect" thing anymore but enjoy reading about it.

I miss when Beachbum, Roach, KallMaloneSay, JS and others used to have some "healthy" debates over them.

Steve
    Wasn't is Cole Hamel who Beach thought was the "second coming?"

Where's Kuhlmann - he'll have something to say about the mets!

Happy New Year
    mike
    Mike
    Mike

Yep

SD
    Good for you.
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭
    a very belated thanks to the Mets for taking MOOOOOOO Vaughn a few years back!!
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>a very belated thanks to the Mets for taking MOOOOOOO Vaughn a few years back!! >>

Yeah, That was painful. I remember when he smacked one way up on the scoreboard at Shea off David Wells and the Yankees. That was pretty cool. I think that was his only highlight.

Matt

• << <i>Writer
    I don't do the "prospect" thing anymore but enjoy reading about it.

I miss when Beachbum, Roach, KallMaloneSay, JS and others used to have some "healthy" debates over them.

Steve
    Wasn't is Cole Hamel who Beach thought was the "second coming?"

Where's Kuhlmann - he'll have something to say about the mets!

Happy New Year
    mike >>

Cole was 2 years younger in me in high school so I pitched against him a few times, really solid player but I really don't think he's going to end up being that great. From the same high school that produced the Blalock brothers and several other top 100 picks over the past decade.
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Unless you have an impeccable sense of timing, I wouldn't invest a dime on pitching prospects.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    d'oh. double post.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • You do have to be very lucky and there are way too many misses for pitchers........I hit it very big with Santana though, I was getting his Bowmans best and finest rookies for between 5-10 bucks after shipping in the off season of 2001........I made a killing when he won the Cy Young 2 seasons ago.
  • MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Steve...we still have David Wright!! He will not tank.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    David Wright is the real deal - Wright and Reyes are the most exciting infield combo playing in NY at the moment!

Papelbon already has a lot of hype to live up to - his rookie cards haven't been really cheap for a while. The Sox have some other great prospects to look for, like pitcher Craig Hansen, pitcher Jon Lester, catcher Kelly Shoppach, 2B Dustin Pedroia, and newly acquired 3B Andy Marte. Any of those names could be great investments at the moment.
    Steve...we still have David Wright!! He will not tank.

I agree Frank. The disease usually only strikes guys that we trade for.

Guys that come up through the ranks usually do well. The problem is we use those guys for the tankers sometimes.

Wish we still had that jacobs kid.

Steve
    Good for you.