Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

what was your favorite card when u were young?

i'm 35 & i remember my fav card being 1980 topps george brett card

Comments

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine was the 1975 Topps Randy Jonesimage

Steve
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    1965 Topps Yogi Berra........
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    2007 pujols topps!
  • Options
    Mine were the 1974 Topps/1975 Topps Mini of Joe Rudi. (A gutsy ball player with plenty of clutch hits and home run/hit stealing leaps out in left field!)
  • Options
    Ken griffey Jr rookie I was 7 yrs old when 1989 upper deck hit the scene. And a mariners fan since I live in seattle.
  • Options
    I always loved the 1976 Kurt Bevacqua Bubble gum blowing contest card. I finally found one graded and bought it.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    68T #280 Mantle.

The design looked so ugly at the time - now I like them.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    1986 Donruss JOSE CANSECO!!!
  • Options
    Probably would have to be the 1982 Fleer George Brett.
  • Options
    FYSFYS Posts: 194
    The 78T Tiger Rookies: Trammell, Parrish, Whitaker and Morris. Also, 81T Gibson.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1974 Fisk - Horizontal action shot.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    1965 Topps Willie Mays card.

bat on shoulder...............

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1983 Topps Traded Strawberry
    Mike
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    1979 Burger King Pete Rose - his first Phillies card. I was 11.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    Cool thread!

In 1981 I was 11, and I remember the A.L. Championship card, #401....horizontal shot of George Brett and the "Royals Sweep Yankees", winning the pennant. I LOVED that card!

Not my auction, but here it is

Sweet memories!

-dal-
  • Options
    '72 Topps Clemente.

Was only four, but still plenty to be had at local card shows.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    1960 Topps #350 Mantle
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    1969 Topps Pete Banaszak. Pete is from my hometown, and I started buying football cards to try to find his.

• Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Fuzzy thing about Banaszak, my Mom went to high school with him. Crivitz, WI, he was two years ahead of my Mom. I am sure you know my Mom's side of the family. Popp's resort in county X.

Also, he name is pronounced (Ba na sheck). I know he changed they pronounced his name in the pros.
  • Options
    Without a doubt, my most memorable card was this 1962 Topps George Witt. My cousin and I still reminisce about exchanging the "ugliest" card we'd ever seen back and forth in every trade we made...

hh
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    1977 Topps Fidrych, he was the biggest thing going on in our area, everyone wanted his rookie card.

Stingray
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    FavreFan1971,

I don't know your Mom's family personally, but I know my parents do. I think we went to Popp's for dinner last year when I visited.

I think it was probably the old AFL announcers who changed the pronunciation of Pete's last name. Those Polish names can be tough!

Mike
  • Options
    When I was 8, I thought this had to be the coolest card ever made. I remember trading some big names to get one in '76.:

-Todd-
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Favorite card then is my favorite card today.

1971 topps baseball #5 thurman munson.
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

I loved action shots, and I idolized Joe Torre.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    1958 #35 Don Mossi
    Close second was the elusive 1975 Boog Powell image
    Sig: Looking for a recent smr magazine, Please pm if you have one to recycle. Thank You
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    1988 Topps Steve Lombardozzi!

He was my favorite player for some reason, and I remember meeting him outside old Arlington stadium. He was the last player out of the clubhouse. I remember the look on Kirby Puckett's face when I said "Mr. Puckett, is Steve Lombardozzi in there?" He did a double take and went back in to get him. All the other autograph hounds were long since gone, and it was just myself and good old mom waiting in that parking lot. Sure enough, he came out, Coors Light in hand, gave me a pair of wristbands from the game, and took the picture with the most toothless mudflap one can imagine. If you can imagine an 8 year old kid winning the lottery, that's exactly what the expression on my face looked like. The pic is in storage in TX, but I will scan it as soon as I get back so all you guys can have a good laugh.

• Options
    1987 Topps Mark McGwire
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1985 Topps Don Mattingly was my fave when I started collecting cards.
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I'm too lazy to scan mine right now, but the '83-84 OPC Oilers Highlights with Gretzky and Messier was always one of my favorites as a kid. Still is. The Donruss San Diego Chicken card has lost some of its charm now that I'm the paragon of maturity, but I always wanted one when I was young.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    1971 Vida Blue. He was having a phenomenal season (as pretty much a rookie) and as a 11 yr old (in Upstate New York, no less), I was so ecstatic to get his card in a pack that summer. It was a short-term thing since I was not an A's fan but a Reds and Mets fan. I still have that card and it's in my display above my monitor as I type this.

Runner-ups would be the 1970 Roman Gabriel, 1971 Joe Namath and 1972 Willie Mays, as well as a few 1970-71 Basketball that I don't have anymore.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    hmm - hard to choose. Definitely a 1978 Dodger, probably Lopes, Cey or Garvey.

Geordie
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Either the 1985 Topps Alvin Davis, the 85 T Dwight Gooden or the 85 D Roger Clemens.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    1987 Fleer Will Clark.

He was my hero when I was a kid. I saved up all my lunch money for a few weeks and shelled out $30 to get his card at the local shop. It made all the kids at school go "Ohhh, ahhhh!"

2nd place..
    1981 Topps Joe Montana.

I saved up my lunch money for a few months, mowed a bunch of lawns, and washed a bunch of cars to get that card. $200. I never took that to school though, figured I'd get jumped for it if I did!

Edit: This was either in 1989 or 1990.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    Probably the 86 Topps Mattingly. I think I liked that card more than any of his rookies.
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    For me, it was, and still is, the 1971 Topps Thurman Munson.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Probably the 86 Topps Mattingly. I think I liked that card more than any of his rookies. >>

I, too, remember this card. It's a *perfect* action shot of Mattingly. I actually remember being disappointed when the 1987 set came out, specifically because the Mattingly was such a boring card. Mattingly was unquestionably the man back then, even though I was already a Will Clark fan. Mattingly drove the hobby for a few years.

I wouldn't say the 86 Mattingly was my *favorite* card, but I sure do have fond memories of it.

Here's a great scan from ajetfan's registry set. (sorry for the huge size)

• Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    1959 Topps Mickey Mantle, I was 10. Mickey just seemed to sound better in my bike spokes. I was a smart kid! At eleven I traded my whole box of cards for a "killer giant bag of marbles", Wow! Was I happy! I used the marbles later that year with my buddies, "shooting them off" in a corn field with my new sling shot!

edit: You get smarter as you get older!

rbd
  • Options
    My hero...

Carried Orr's 68 Topps card with me 24/7....my original would probably grade out PSA -2! LOL
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57