Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

If any of you dealers are in Toronto this weekend....

....dont forget the '50 Bowmans!
Now looking for a 1950 Bowman Baseball Box as pictured below.

Comments

• Options
    I plan to attend next year, for anyone going, would like to hear if they see any of the Big 3 cards from the 1955 Quaker Set at the show. Lumley, Clancy or Richard. Condition and price.

Thanks.
  • Options
    jersterjerster Posts: 828 ✭✭✭
    Will be tough to find baseball there. Hockey rules supreme at that show.

Bummer that I don't think I will be able to make it.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Molson - Have you seen those quaker cards before? I have been to virtually every show and I think maybe once somebody had one and it lasted about 30 seconds.
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    jerster is correct....the Toronto Expo is a hockey show, plain and simple. There are always a few baseball exclusive guys, but it is very difficult to find basketball or football (and vintage stuff of these two sports is virtually non-existent). That being said, it is usually an enjoyable show for those of us who focus on hockey items, whether one is there to actively buy or just to window shop.

Actually, just thought of one guy who sets up regularly who does have some nice vintage football cards. He is from outside Buffalo and he goes by Cameo Cards, if I recall correctly.

Eyebone

"I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    Thanks for remembering me eyebone! I'm at booths 209-211. I hope to see the board members that I already know and meet some for the 1st time. It's always a great part of any show!
    Greg
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    Greg:

I have seen your posts here on occasion, so I should have made the connection. I always enjoy looking at your cards as you have some very nice stuff, not only of football, but baseball too. Hope you have a successful and fun show.

Eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    Albie,
    I have not seen them before, but have been putting a Quaker set together over the past couple of years. I am 86% complete and know how rare and expensive these three cards are. From what I have heard from dealers, Lumley appears to be the toughest, and a few have seen the Richard and Clancy. I have been told you can expect to pay $3K - $5K per card. If someone is going to the show, was curious if any are there.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Molson - There are so many people working on that set that need those three cards that I imagine even in low grade they will sell for more than $3-$5 K. If they appeared at the show they would probably end up in the hands of AJ, in which case they would be priced at some incredible amount, or Len, who probably has a huge list of buyers for that card. I hope you can acquire those three but it will be as difficult as picking up some of the SP cards from the 1920's and 1930's.

By the way, Huge congratulations on your 500 Goal Scorers Set. That is an incredible set.
  • Options
    Lots of Great Vintage Baseball Toronto Show Dealers
  • Options
    Cameo,

Great to meet you at the show. I had been out west for two years and it was nice to get back to the show, definately the biggest in Canada. There was certainly a lack of vintage baseball dealers, I was real glad to see you set up there. If it werent for your booth I would have been really disappointed. You've got some great cards, I know next year you'll have some 50' Bowmans I need! image

Ryan
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Two years ago I talked to a dealer to came to the show with a Quaker Lumley. He said it was positively the rattiest card he'd ever had, and that it had what looked like bicycle tire treads imprinted across the front.... and he still sold it for 2500 within the first 10 minutes on Friday.
  • Options
    Ryan,
    I really enjoyed our brief time chatting. I have always really enjoyed the show. I've made a lot of friends over the years that I look forward to seeing. It's also nice that it's less than an hour from home! The 9 hour drive from Chicago is a drag, especially when you aree licking your wounds over a $10,000 theft! Yep, a 3 row box of high grade 1959 baseball walked away on Sat. I still can't believe that it was taken right in front of me! If anyone has 59s that they aren't going to grade, please contact me at: cameocards@adelphia.net
    Greg
  • Options
    Greg,

Sorry to hear about the '59's, I hope the perp rots in hell surrounded by nothing but '88 Donruss baseball as punishment. I might think about travelling a bit to my next show. Detroit is about an hour and a half from where Im at, and Chicago about 8.
  • Options
    Ah, that would be fitting for the SOBs. Every pack, every box '88 Donruss. Hopefully all, stained, dinged and oc! Theft is part of the equation, and I try not to take it personally, but .... I haven't don a show in Michigan in years. I keep threatening to do one. I post my show schedule on my web page.

null
  • Options
    Greg sorry to hear about your stollen cards THAT SUCKS! I live in downtown chicago so if their is anything to do to help you please let me know... That should not happen and im embarresed for my fellow chicagoans. Jeff
    Always Buying & Collecting 1957 Topps Baseball 1914 cj,s 1978 bb and any Hof bb
  • Options
    Jeff,
    Thanks. I suspect that the cards will end up on ebay. However, if you do frequent any shops, I'd be appreciative of any help. Just maybe, they will try and sell them locally. All cards are in card saver II's. I have small stickers located in the upper right and left lip of the saver. The card # is on the left and the price is on the right. I only knoiw of 2 other dealers that put the card # on the front and 1 of them is in Mass. We may just get lucky! I put a lot of time and effort into my presentation and I try to be collector friendly [afterall, that's how I started] and you are correct: it sucks!! I love Chicago. Scum live everywhere and know no bounds of geography or decency.
    Greg
  • Options
    Will take a peak at a few shops on sunday near downtown.
    Always Buying & Collecting 1957 Topps Baseball 1914 cj,s 1978 bb and any Hof bb
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    GREG - That sux!
    Too bad you didn't see the guy walking away with it, you could have given him a pile driver.
    See you next week at Fort Washington...jay
  • Options
    Thanks for the support guys. It really does help. Jay, I always look forward to our discussions.
    Greg