Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1955 1956 1957 Topps Baseball registry question regarding minimum grades

A coworker was given her father's collection from 1955-1957 Topps and a bunch of football. I only collect football so I am not versed on the baseball side so I am asking for some help here. She gave me a list of cards but I want to know what to grade for her.

Should I send in commons that will grade 6? She has a bunch in 6 condition (75%) and 20% in PSA 7 shape. She brought in about 50 cards and I took the percentages from these cards. I know I will send in the 7's but what about the 6's, would she make money on the commons?

I will send in the stars in of course but I don't want her to lose $$ and I don't want to miss the 1950's special.

To give you an idea of what is in the hell of a find here is a list of the big names, mind you these are from the list and I have not seen them yet.

56 Reese
56 Banks
56 Clemente
55 Jackie Robinson
56 Kaline
56 Jackie Robinson
1953 Ford
56 Killebrew
1953 Paige

Don't know the years but this is the list of Mantles
#487 three of them
#10 One
#564 one
#467 one
#95 one
#160 one
#461 one

Hank Aaron #488
Spahn #40

Ted williams #1 two of these

So as you can tell this girl has some nice stuff, plus she has a complete set of 1957 topps football that I would love to buy off of her but her husband wants to keep it. Anyway, thanks in advance for the help on the minimum grades. Once I see all of the cards Iwill throw on some scans and if the raw 6's aren't worth grading they will go on ebay. The sad part for all of us is she wants to give the good cards to her son who is 5 now. So I doubt we will see any of the big names but maybe a few commons may grade 8 or some SP's that can help some of you on your sets.

I will keep the boards posted.

Comments

• Options

I would just send in the low pop commons as most of the commons will probably not bring back investment money(grading fees + postage).There are quite a few collectors of mid grade sets but selling prices realized on those cards can be less than grading fees on most commons.

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    From '55 through '57 baseball, any PSA 7 should be graded. Based upon historical sales prices, I would send any card that is a sure 6 for grading from these 3 sets as well. I would probably only send questionable common 6's in from the tough series from each set (1955 - 151-210, 1956 - 181-260, 1957 - 265-352).

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, I hope I can get a few FB cards from her for my 57 set