Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How is this guy still a Power Seller?

E-Bay has its flaws for sure. But this is ridiculous.

Stink Link

Comments

• Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I like this below feedback from a recent winner.

" awesome cards....Great shape...1962 MANTLE...THANKS
    Buyer ***** inhaile90(private*****

The only guy to get a Mantle has private feedback. Gotta love it!!
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    This guy's feedback??????..........you gotta be kidding!!!!!!
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    jskirwinjskirwin Posts: 700 ✭✭✭
    So why do people still bid on this guy's stuff?
    Are they the same ones who play 3 Card Monty on the sidewalk?
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    If you bring enough revenue to eBay, you're a Power Seller. Rules, shmules.

Nick

Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options

<< <i>If you bring enough revenue to eBay, you're a Power Seller. Rules, shmules.

Nick >>

True, but you have to keep 99.5% positive feedback. So his status will be revoked.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    PowerSellers are eBay top sellers who sustain a consistent high volume of monthly sales and a high level of total Feedback --with 98% or better positive rating by other eBay users.

Looks like most of his negatives, if not all, have come in the last week or so. He's got some 'splainin to do.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    FYS - eBay let discountcardz remain a Power Seller for at least a year with feedback below 98%. Their status has eventually been revoked, but between this board and the Beckett boards, there are a number of threads about how they managed to screw bidders and have less than 98% positive while maintaining the status.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    The seller is a scallywag, I tell ya!
  • Options
    Supposedly ebay will drop your status if you fail to meet qualification for 1 month, then it takes three more cumulative months to get it back.

I've personally observed that isn't the case. We were upgraded to silver powersellers (>$3000/month sales) after a real big month, then had a few months where we didn't come close, but are back up to that level again. But never got bumped down to the lower level powerseller.

For the monthly sales qualifications, it obviously doesn't matter much to buyers.

But it's unfortunate that ebay allows power sellers to drop below the feedback rating.

A lot of people, especially on these boards, dismiss the powerseller qualification as meaningless. And although I will usually defend it, realistically when you see sellers like this one, it's hard to do and frustrating. If ebay were more strict about enforcing their own policies, especially regards the feedback levels for powersellers, it'd (rightfully) carry a little more weight. If you drop below 98%, which is the % for any level of powerseller status, you should lose your status and not get it back until you regain that level AND maintain it for 3 straight months.

Ebay could and should be doing a lot more to highlight and reward their best sellers. It's good for everybody. And the most important part of being a "best seller" should be the feedback rating.

The whole feedback and powerseller system is only dismissed and laughed at and discounted because ebay allows it to be. In theory, it should be a great thing for buyers and sellers, lending reliability, credibility, and accountability to their whole business.

Of course, as the great Homer Simpson said, in theory, communism is a great thing too.
  • Options
    From the looks (and timing) of the feedback, I think this guy literally took the money and ran. He ran his bogus dutch auction for a month or so. Then, rather than mail out cards as poor saps won auctions, he sent out all the cards at the same time in order to avoid the negative feedback that he knew would be coming in. He could scam more people that way.

He's done--probably set up shop under another ID.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

I GOT A 1954 TOPPS WILLIE MAYS #90, OOHHHHH MYYYYY, WOWEE! ! GREAT GREAT EBAYER!
    Buyer luca82sdr ( 47) Aug-04-05 14:52 5220802053
    Reply by 123blowout: $800 CARD From One Pack of $12.95 ! Aug-06-05 06:02

I GOT A 1954 TOPPS WILLIE MAYS #90, OOHHHHH MYYYYY, WOWEE! ! GREAT GREAT EBAYER!
    Buyer luca82sdr ( 45) Aug-04-05 14:52 522080

Oh yea sure...this same buyer happened to get these cards. The other few buyers who "received" some good cards are most probably also frauds. Such obvious scam auctions with the feedback as noted, yet ebay just closes their eyes and allows it all to continue.

• Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    I'm sorry but the buyers are complete and utter morons. It's hard to have sympathy when the buyers are sending money trying to get more value than $12.95 can buy. Buying these packs is like playing the lottery with even WORSE odds. Don't get me wrong, this is a scummy way for a seller to make a living but every time you try to get something for nothing...you end up getting nothing for something.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Ebay Powersellers mean absolutley NOTHING. You can be a great seller and not be a powerseller or be a crappy one and be a scam artist. The problem is this guy only has a 200 feedback, take away all the negs and he only has 284. 284 transactions should not be enough to get a powerseller logo. It is all about money plain and simple. In fact, it seems like the majority of major scammers lately ARE powersellers. Ebay gives the buyer a false sense of security because of it, although the buyers are stupid for buying without checking the feedback. To me it is a waste of space on the screen to have the powerseller logo, means nothing, nothing at all
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    lmao, ya I agree the buyers are stupid enuf to buy it.. Guess if I put a vintage black used banana peel on ebay and someone bought it so be it.
  • Options
    Ebay Powersellers mean absolutley NOTHING. You can be a great seller and not be a powerseller or be a crappy one and be a scam artist. The problem is this guy only has a 200 feedback, take away all the negs and he only has 284. 284 transactions should not be enough to get a powerseller logo. It is all about money plain and simple. In fact, it seems like the majority of major scammers lately ARE powersellers. Ebay gives the buyer a false sense of security because of it, although the buyers are stupid for buying without checking the feedback. To me it is a waste of space on the screen to have the powerseller logo, means nothing, nothing at all

Case in point to my last post. I understand and agree with this entire comment. It'll all get cleaned up eventually though. Hopefully. Ebay can't turn in to the wild west of auction sites. A couple of big (or a couple thousand) scams and they'll have to wake up. Soon as the headlines start coming in "Ebay buyer scammed and screwed", "Ebay unfair marketplace", "Ebay protects bad sellers, buyer beware" etc. and things will change. If it really becomes that problematic, or that risky for buyers, they'll have to do something. Eventually. Hopefully.
  • Options
    well the aucitons are kinda like the lottery. They look too good to be true, so they are. yeah the guy claims to put a Mantle in every auction and then does a BIN for $13.00, come on. Ebay just hasn't caught up to this bum yet.
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options
    I like all the PSP (Playstation Portable) that he's selling for $29.95 BIN (in quantities) with free shipping and the negs
    and questions wondering where their PSP is. Hmm, a brand new PSP for $25 when it cost $249.00. These people
    are idiots.
  • Options
    Ebay figures feedback % on powersellers by total transactions and not individual users like the normal ebayers.

But that isnt the case thats keeping this guy alive.
    Collecting
    Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    1960's Topps run Mega Set image
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    When does it become obvious to a buyer that a seller might not be on the up and up, after 5-10+ negative feedbacks. Come one people, why let yourself become a victim.

Stingray
  • Options
    WHY on earth would you buy anything from a seller like this??? Would you play russian roulette?
  • Options
    I've started another thread on a related issue.

Evil genius
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Those buyers got what was coming to them. They thought they were going to "steal" some cards from this guy and in turn got burned themselves. I don't feel sorry for them at all.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"