Here's a few coins from the Stuarts and Commonweath. Coin album

Comments

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭
    Stuarts!!image

The true heirs to the throne!image
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Wow, nice, nice, nice, nice, nice, nice, nice, nice, and nice!
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Stuarts!!
    The true heirs to the throne! >>

Now why would you say that Mac????

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

<< <i>Stuarts!!image

The true heirs to the throne!image >>

Arguably true, but not for the reasons you think.

The Scottish dynasty had more right to sit on the English throne than the English kings did. As David I of Scotland was the nephew of Edgar the ætheling (David's father Malcolm had married Edgar's sister). Edgar was the true heir to the English throne in 1066. His father Edward the Exile was the eldest son of Eadmund Ironside, and therefore should have inherited the throne after Harthacnut's death, Edward the Confessor should not have, since Edward the confessor was a younger half brother of Eadmund's from Æthelred II's second marriage to Emma of Normandy. Eadmund Ironside's line came for Æthelred's first marriage to Ælfgifu.

The English Royal family is also decended from the line of Cerdic (the line of kings including such notables as Egbert, Æthelred I, Alfred the Great, Edward the Elder, Æthelstan, Eadmund I, Eadgar and Æthelred II). However the English royal family is further removed, Henry I married David I's sister. David I had the old royal blood in him Henry I did not, although his daughter Matilda and her line (Henry (II) Plantagenet) did as they got the true blood from the maternal side.

• Options
    So Æthelred how's this for you?

Henry II who's mother was Empress Matilda, who's mother was Edith of Scotland (aka Matilda), who's mother was Margaret (the ætheling's sister), who's father was Edward the Exile, who's father was Eadmund Ironside, who's father was Æthelred II.

Æthelred the Unready's father was Eadgar, who's father was Eadmund, who's father was Edward the Elder, who's father was Alfred the Great, who's father was Æthelwulf, who's father was Egbert (who is considered the first king of England), his father was Eahlmund, who father was Eafa, who's father was Eoppa, who's father was Ingild (this is the early 700s)... and it goes back a few more generations to Cerdic who died in 534.

Good fun what?
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭✭
    Glory to Hermes divine messenger of the almighty Olympians, god of travellers! I humbly beseech your guidance and protection in this life and the next.

Religio Romana

Sylvestius grow up and change your sigline.The dodecatheon? image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭✭
    sorry, double post
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Stuarts!!image

The true heirs to the throne!image >>

Absolutely!!! I couldn't agree with you more!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Python, your coins are simply beyond proper description!! Beyond words!! I'm flabbergasted!!

I love the toning on the second James shilling (it blows mine away). All of your coins exude originality and beauty. Thanks for sharing.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭✭
    Very impressive! image I wouldn't get tired of looking at those beauties.
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Very nice!
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    As always, exceptional coins! image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    excellent coins... very attractive... love the shillings

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    Very image - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments. I'm glad you enjoyed them.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i> So Æthelred how's this for you?

Good fun what? >>

Good fun to say the least!

The English throne has been in the hands of pretenders since 1399, The Tudors were cold-blooded religious zealots, the Stuarts had just enough brain power to keep a heartbeat going, the Hanovers were no smarter than the Stuarts, but a public joke as well. The current Royal Family has been inbreed to the point of insanity, they make the Stuarts look smart and the Hanovers look serene.

That said, those are great coins Brett! I really like teh bust on this one:

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely STUNNING Set.
  • Options

<< <i>Now why would you say that Mac???? >>

Well, maybe I'm a bit Celt-Centric!imageimage

Syl, you must be breathless, and a Genealogical savant too.image

I'm always amazed that Queen Anne had an issue of 17 children, and not a single one lived to assume the throne.....If Stork had been around I'm quite sure she could have saved the day.

BS, as always, a Murderer's Row of hammered, and I know they are most definitely much better looking in the flesh.....can you say 1700 tanner!imageimage

• Options

<< <i>The English throne has been in the hands of pretenders since 1399, The Tudors were cold-blooded religious zealots, the Stuarts had just enough brain power to keep a heartbeat going, the Hanovers were no smarter than the Stuarts, but a public joke as well. The current Royal Family has been inbreed to the point of insanity, they make the Stuarts look smart and the Hanovers look serene.

That said, those are great coins Brett! >>

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

The English throne has been in the hands of pretenders since 1399, The Tudors were cold-blooded religious zealots, the Stuarts had just enough brain power to keep a heartbeat going, the Hanovers were no smarter than the Stuarts, but a public joke as well. The current Royal Family has been inbreed to the point of insanity, they make the Stuarts look smart and the Hanovers look serene. >>

I would have thought either Mac or Jester would have gone after me for this one, have I lost my touch?imageimage
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>I would have thought either Mac or Jester would have gone after me for this one, have I lost my touch? >>

My claymore is presently in the shoppe!!imageimageimage

Of course, I could start piping just outside your coin shop which would attract all manner of vermin......
  • Options
    You didn't see my last post? I laughed at you, knowing full well you're brain is deader than your skeletal remains excuse for a body.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD