Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Do You Remember Your First Major League Ballgame? Yankee Stadium. Perfect for the Holiday Weekend

I decided to pen my first experience of visiting a major league baseball park – and wanted to share it – I know it’s long but I’m hoping others have had a similar experience.

I was 7 yrs old and my dad made the mistake of telling me a week in advance that we were going to Yankee Stadium on Sunday to see them play the Detroit Tigers! It’s summertime and although I had plenty to do with my friends, time seemed to stand still. The days inched by and every night I would lie in bed with my “Official Rawlings” Duke Snider center fielder’s mitt and dream of catching a home run hit by Mickey Mantle. By Saturday night I could barely fall asleep in anticipation of taking the long trek into the Bronx to see my first major league game.

Finally, as if a century had passed, me and my dad hopped into our ’56 Buick Roadmaster and headed towards the Triborough Bridge. I liked standing on the floorboard in the back seat and counting the street lights and cars; occasionally waving at passersby, to make the time pass quicker. Suddenly, we turned into this extremely large parking lot and then I saw it! Yankee Stadium. I couldn’t believe how big it looked. It was nothing like the Vleigh Place park down the block from our apartment on 78th Avenue.

The walk from the parking lot to the stadium seemed like 10 miles but the weather was nice and the sky was as blue as the ocean at Coney Island and all I could smell were the hot dogs and hear the sounds of men selling programs for the game. My dad bought me a scorecard, a stadium pin and handed me my own ticket! We entered this huge portal and there was this man in a green cap yelling: “tickets, tickets, have your tickets out.”
There was a scary obstacle to maneuver, like a monstrous gatekeeper, that appeared as if it could knock off your head with one clean swoop – the turnstile! As I handed the man my ticket, my dad helped me to navigate through. Phew, relief. When you’re 7, something like this can be pretty intimidating!

Then we hit the opening to the inside of the ballpark and it was like nothing any child could appropriately describe. The grass was greener than anything I had ever seen and the players were on the field warming up for the game.
My dad says, “look, Yogi is up at the plate.” The crack of the bat was like the explosion of M80s that Charlie Mullen used to set off on the 4th of July.
It was magnificent. The players looked like soldiers in their perfectly tailored white pinstripes. Even the umps looked special to me! An usher helped us to our seats. We were on the first base side of the infield close to the dugout. I sat down and my dad asked me if I was hungry. I was way too excited to eat! I was fully prepared to start the game. Wearing my Brooklyn Dodger baseball cap, I proceeded to go over in my head everything I required: scorecard and pencil…check…baseball glove…check…official national league sunglasses from sending in 10 box-tops and 25 cents from Post Toasties…check. I was ready for action.

This was right after WWII and Korea and there was still a special reverence for the National Anthem. We stood and listened while this lady sang at a microphone that was placed near the field of play. It sounded kind of odd since there was a delay between her singing and hearing it on the loudspeakers. The ump yelled: “play ball!” And the Yanks took the field.

The Yanks won the game, Mickey Mantle did not hit a homer for me that day and I didn’t catch a foul ball. But that was OK with me since I had the time of my life! I did get a hot dog and a cold root beer. Had a small bag of peanuts and saved the bag since it had the Yankee logo on it. I kept score with the help of my dad who knew all the players on the NY team. I did try to get an autograph of Mickey before the game started but he never came over to where I was standing.

Well, that was many years ago. My dad is gone, the Buick Roadmaster was probably melted down to make hubcaps, I don’t know what happened to the scorecard, peanut bag or ticket stub but I do have some memories that are etched in stone to tell my son when I take him to his first ball game.

Is life great or what!
mike

Mike

Comments

• Options
    Nice story, Mike. (Old) Cominsky Park for me. I don't remember who the visitors were. I was probably 8. I didn't get to Wrigley until a good 15 years later.
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    I was 8 years old. My grandfather took me to the game and I had to have a tooth pulled in the morning before the game. I don't remember why I had to have a tooth pulled at such a young age, but a remember how diligent he was at making me change the gauze.

We arrived at Wrigley early and my grandpa surprised me and I was able to go on the field and participate in a kids event prior to the start. I was assigned to center field as they gave kids positions to go to and the player who was starting at that spot then came out and talked to the group of kids at their position. So Bobby Dernier came out to chat with us and I was in awe. I remeber that I hoped to go to 1st base and meet Leon Durham but I didn't get the chance.

I am not sure of neither the date nor the opponent but I do remember that when we were leaving my grandpa reached for his wallet for us to take the EL back upto the Skokie Swift and his wallet was gone. We went to the police station on Addison and Halsted, about 1-2 blocks from the field to fill out a report. We were there for hours because my father had to come and get us and they lived about an hour north of Chicago. I remember my grandpa was giving out tips on the horses and all the cops at the station were enjoying his company there. It actually made me proud because I was scared and at 8 years old policemen were like celebrities and these guys were treating my grandpa like he was the celeb. I guess that was just the kind of guy he was, he made everyone feel comfortable and important.

That was also the first time I puffed on his cigar. My mom would kill him if he hadn't already passed. Giving an 8 year old a pull on.the stogie. That was a good day.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mac
    You got to go to old Comiskey. That's cool. I never got to go to Ebbets Field but I did go to the Polo Grounds.

Zef
    Nice story! That's a cool thing about your grandfather and the cops and horses. I had an uncle who was a bookie. And a 'hit' on the cigar! I remember when my dad gave me a sip of his beer - it tasted like crap!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing guys.

I can appreciate your memories. I have some of my own memories, including special moments with my grandfather, but not baseball related, though. My parents are immigrants and I was born abroad, but came here at the age of 5. Baseball did not catch on to me until age 13, but my first baseball game was when I was in my 20's. I am a huge Jim Abbott fan, so I went to the Big A in the early 90's to watch him for the first, and unfortunately, the last time. I drove there with my brother. We did not have tickets and we were a little late. When we parked the car, we were thinking about heading directly to buy tickets until a shady character entered our path whispering "tickets, tickets". Behold! My first scalper experience. I got the tickets cheap, obviously. It was not a sold out game or anything, after all. Abbott pitched against the KC Royals and Kevin Appier. Abbott pitched 8 innings I believe, but Appier was better. I was shocked at some of the prices on the peanuts and munchies--wow, that was expensive!

The Stadium was not crowded, so we changed our seats. My brother met people he knew there. That was a coincidence. It was different watching the game live as opposed to the TV. After the game, Keith Lockhart of the Royals stayed behind to sign every last autograph request (he was new and I am sure it must have been part of his contract to gain some sort of fan base). My brother got his autograph on his ticket stub, which he still has today. I kept mine as well, but regret I did not bother to get Lockhart's or Jeff Montgomery's graph. I thought at the time that if I can't get Abbott's, then ..... Now, I see that Lockhart is etched in my memory. I just liked the way he stayed behind until every fan was happy. Even though I was an adult for my first game, I still felt wide eyed. I was overwhelmed with the size of the stadium. Heck, I could not find the car after the game because it appeared that each side of the Stadium looked the same. It took some time to find the car. I liked the whole experience, though. I am pretty sure I will bring my son or nephew, whenever I get one, to the ball game at an early age so that they have the types of memories you guys had. It sounds like it is a very good thing to do for the kids.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Although we only lived 25 miles or so from Yankee and Shea statiums I was only able to attemd one or two games a year as i was growing up on Long Island in the 60's and early 70's.

I do remember much of the details of my first game ever at Yankee stadium in I believe in 1965 or 1966. My father told me weeks before that we would be attending the game. I being 7 or 8 years old was already a big baseball fan and the thoughts of my first baseball game excited me for those weeks. The Yankees would be hosting the Twins. Mantle was still playing at the time and of course he was every young boy's hero at the time.

The day of the game came.....and it was a rainy overcast day.image I spent the day staring out the window wondering and feeling confident that it would stop raining, but the rain really never went away. The game was a night game. By 5:30PM there was still no announcement that the game was postponed. Much to my mother's dissatisfaction we left for the game .....................

..........we arrived at Yankee Stadium, even surrounded by a dull grey sky it was a majestic site. We entered the stadium and i remember walking through the tunnel and seeing the field for the first time........My god , the place was huge!

The game did start but perhaps not on time. In the thrid inning the Mick came up to bat for the second time. (he had been walked in the first.) On the second pitch he hit a home run into the right field stands. I thought I would die. An inning later , the Twins tied the score at 1-1 when they hit a home run of their own. It would be years later that I would realize that THAT home run was hit by Harmen Killerbrew.....

......the bottom of the fourth came and the skies opened up again. Even though many people left, (and many had not come to begin with due to the weather) we waited until finally hours later the game was called.............The stats would be sticken from the records so officially I never saw Mantle and Killerbrew hit homers........

....over the years (we moved from LI in 1974) my father took me to one or two games a year. We would always be the first ones in the stadium. I would go down to field level and attempt to get autographs during batting practice. After the game we would go down to the Player parking lot. (The players had to cross a street to get to their parking lot.) I had a ball that accumulated about 20 autographs.......Ralph Houk, Yogi Berra, Bobby Murcer, Sparky Lyle, Lindy McDaniel, Walt No Neck Williams, Pete Ward etc.

I lost the ball in 1995 during a hurricane......image
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    PeetiePeetie Posts: 627 ✭✭
    Great story, Mike. Nothing better than a wide-eyed kid at the ball park. Me, Busch Stadium, 10.
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Great thread Mike, thanks for shareing the heart warming story.

I've never been. (Edmonton, Alberta Canada)

I've tried.. Whenever we're booked to go anywhere I search to see if there's a game to go to and the team is always playing away during our stay. image

If I'm lucky enough to have a son when my wife and I are ready for kids I'll be sure to go out of my way to bring him to a game that's for sure.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread and stories!

I was 6 years old and was extremely upset to learn that my father had tickets to take my brother and I to Yankee Stadium. I was a Met fan at that time in 1976. Anyway, I have been a Yankee fan ever since that night. As Mike described, the grass on the field was a green that I am not quite sure I have witnessed since. The enormity of the stadium and the field had me gazing all over the place the enitire game. Gorman Thomas of the Brewers hit a manmouth home run as the Brewers beat the Yankees. I was so amazed to see pop ups go so high, and even the lazy fly balls to shallow center looked like they might land on the moon at first. Good times, Good times ....

Dan

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    DG
    Thanx for sharing...your memories are just as gratifying to read as that of a wide-eyed child. Saving the stub makes it even better - and BTW, I still get excited when I see the immaculately manicured diamond to this day!

Lost
    We have had the same exact moment - Yankee stadium! BTW, I went to a day game when I was 11 with my friends - we took the subway - we sat near one of those steel supports that actually blocked some of the view for certain fans - but we didn't stay in our seats much anyway!

Peetie
    How about some details?

Knucks
    Hope you make it to a game - I promise it will surprise you - there's something majestic about the inside of a professional ballpark.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Great stuff AND now i just bought tickets to White Sox game tonight for my 2 1/2 yr old First Ever Game Thanks All!
    Always Buying & Collecting 1957 Topps Baseball 1914 cj,s 1978 bb and any Hof bb
  • Options
    What a great write-up by Stone"Deford"193! You've got a second career if you ever need or want one!

My first game was a long two-hour bus trip from Fairmont, Minn., to Metropolitan Stadium in Minneapolis in the mid-60s. The trip was part of the Knothole Gang promotion popular at the time and it was most likely the Cub Scout Pack I was in that sponsored it. I don't remember much about the game other than being awed by Killebrew's (image) rocketing fly balls and home runs. I do remember being inspired by the size of the stadium and the awesome view we had from the outfield. My only previous experience watching baseball games was from my bedroom window! We had a ballpark in our backyard and the local semi-pro team, the Fairmont Martins, played there. We also had a lighttower in our backyard that Mom wouldn't let climb on until we were older. I also remember finding a baseball one morning after a night game. That was the source of my love for baseball -- along with the Saturday (NY Yankee) Game of the Week on NBC, of course.

Thanks for sharing, everyone!

hh
    oo
  • Options
    Dan
    It's amazing about the grass! Especially if you're under 10 - it looks like the field goes forever!
    And the players looked so large! You went to the stadium after the renovation I believe - I used to go then also since I was in school in NYC at that time. The old stadium with all the steel beams had a different feel to it.

Mike
    Thanx! Seeing Killebrew is a great experience. And having a semi-pro team in your backyard is too much!
    I used to watch fast pitch softball in my neighborhood every weekend - these guys were outstanding ballplayers and took the game very seriously for no pay!

Quik
    Good luck with your 2 yr old at the game - might be a bit young but ya never know.

Great stories guys
    This is a great weekend topper!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    ......................the other thing which I can never get out of my mind about going to games at Yankee Stadium was the deep booming voice of the Public Address announcer and the dull echo of the PA system. The PA announcer, (and I cannot remember his name: i believe he is still there?) spoke very dilererately and paused when he spoke particularly when saying a players name............

Ladies and gentlemen.............now batting.......... for New York........... number 7..........Mickey...............Mantle....
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I was six years old and headed down to ole Fenway park. The Red Sox were playing the A's at the time. We were in the left field box seats. All of a sudden a Jim Rice foul ball hit me in the leg, and landed in my seat!!!! Then guy behind me pushed my seat down, and took the ball. I thought my Dad was going to KILL him. I wish I had been fast enough to grab that ball that had landed directly in MY SEAT. But the drunken idiot behind me stole my ball. I guess all is fair in foul ground.
  • Options
    RM
    I have never been to Fenway - sure would like to go! That's too bad about the ball - your dad "should" have kicked his ass!

That reminds of something that happened in the bleachers in 1977 - I lady was sitting on the end next to the steps and had her beer next to her. A guy kicked it over. She said: "hey, you owe me a fawkin' beer!"
    The guys says...."fawk you!" No lie...without another nanosecond, she JUMPED the guy and was beating on his head! Next thing ya know...and it happened so fast, I don't know how, her shoe winds up in center field!!!! Luckily it was still between innings and Mickey Rivers very nonchalantly scoops up the shoe and tosses it back into the bleachers!!! By that time the cops had come and dragged both of them away!

Baseball....ya gotta love it!
    Mike
  • Options
    I was 13 years old. We went to Milwaukee for our class trip and saw the game at the old Brewers County Stadium, Brewers vs Rangers. I remember seeing Kevin Brown pitch when he was a virtual No-namer. Sheffield was a scrawny little guy in his 2nd year and the fans loved. Juan Gonzalez and Ivan Rodriguez were both young and unknown at the time also. Looking back it's amazing to see how many of these players turned into big superstars.
    Joel C
  • Options
    PeetiePeetie Posts: 627 ✭✭

<< <i>

Peetie
    How about some details?

mike >>

It was in late June or July in 1980. We had a big caravan going over, it was a gift to our Little League team for winning the City Championship.

I don't remember the game and I'm not sure if I even watched the game. It was just cool hanging out with the team in a setting other than practice or games. We had the cheap nosebleed seats, but we didn't care.

My fondest memories were of the minor league team the Evansville Triplets. It was Detroit's AAA club, so we got to see the boys before the show. Lance Parrish, Mike Laga, Mark "The Bird" Fidrych. I guess we saw alot of the guys before their 84 championship.

I will never forget those times. I love this country!!

Mark
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>......................the other thing which I can never get out of my mind about going to games at Yankee Stadium was the deep booming voice of the Public Address announcer and the dull echo of the PA system. The PA announcer, (and I cannot remember his name: i believe he is still there?) spoke very dilererately and paused when he spoke particularly when saying a players name............

Ladies and gentlemen.............now batting.......... for New York........... number 7..........Mickey...............Mantle.... >>

Yeah, I know who you mean lostdart. I cant think of the announcers name either. But his voice is so nostalgic. It must have been nostalgic for him too when they made the movie 61*. Its been a long time since he announced the names like Mantle, Maris, Ford, etc. Im a Red Sox fan all the way but I am a baseball fan first, and seeing a game at Yankee Stadium was a huge thrill for me. I just wish I could have seen guys like Mantle, Koufax and Teddy baseball play. I am envious of all of your stories.
  • Options
    Yankee PA is the infamous Bob Sheppard.........
  • Options
    I must have accidentally backspaced rather than reply to voice of the Yankees.

The guy is a legend! Bob Sheppard was the announcer when I was 7, was the announcer when I was in school at 26 in NYC and is still the announcer!!!

Some things are just great to come home to!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mine is similar to Hoof's. Grew up in Nordeast Mpls. Dad took me and my little brother to Metropolitan Stadium (now Mall of America . . . BOO). Great ballpark.

I believe it was 1974. Yankees vs. Twins. Box seats, first base line. Gloves on our hands. A very young Bert Blyleven hurled for the Twins. Can't remember much else except for the home whites against green, green grass and constant jets overhead. And, of course, the sounds. Ahhhhhhhhhh, the sounds of a ballpark.

Used to wait in the parking lot after games for players to exit. Got a lot of great autographs . . . Carew, Oliva, Killebrew, not to mention many of the visitors.

Now living in suburban DC, I suppose my young lad will take in his first game at RFK. Or maybe we'll head up the beltway and take in an O's game at Camden. If so, you can bet it will be against the Twins.
  • Options
    Good story NJ
    I have seen Camden from the highway and it looks really nice - good place for a baseball experience.

Are you following the Nationals? They started out really good!

Whichever you choose, you can come back and give an account.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    In 1980, I was seven. My whole family went to Three Rivers Stadium and watched the Pirates beat the Mets. The thing I remeber most is my brother telling everyone that Willie Stargell was his dad.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options

<< <i>In 1980, I was seven. My whole family went to Three Rivers Stadium and watched the Pirates beat the Mets. The thing I remeber most is my brother telling everyone that Willie Stargell was his dad. >>

That's a pretty funny story about your brother!
    I went to 3 rivers in the 70s - I believe I sat in left field which was not good since from the seats we had, we couldn't see the outfielder and had to wait for the roar of the crowd to figure out what happened.
    I did have a few homers come my way but not in my hand!

thanx
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Closet Nats fan. Can't imagine NOT having baseball in the nation's capital.

Been to one game vs. Bucs. Love the rundown old ballpark (RFK).

Camden Yards is awesome. Eutaw Street and the Babe's house a block away. Inner Harbor is very close, also. Great experience. I understand there's a GREAT card shop somewhere in the vicinity, but haven't happened upon it as of yet.
  • Options
    1977 Chicago White Sox and Seattle Mariners in the old Comiskey Park. (Mariners 1st season)

2nd game was that same year and the one i remember most. Cubs and Reds at Wrigley Field. Pete Rose hit a 2 run home run to win the game 2-0.
    Loved that Reds team:

C Johnny Bench
    1B Dan Driessen
    2B Joe Morgan
    3B Pete Rose
    SS Dave Concepcion
    OF George Foster
    OF Cesar Geronimo
    OF Ken Griffey

etc etc..tom seaver

HA, and am a White Sox die hard fan and my best memories are of Wrigley and the 77 Reds.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    1973, I believe, Metropolitan Stadium, Bloomington, Minnesota (Now the F***ing Mall of America). A 19-year-old Bert Blyleven hurling for the Twins versus the New York Yankees.

A bit fuzzy since I was five or six years old.

Lots of great memories of the old Met. Killebrew, Oliva, Carew . . . Outdoor ball should never be taken for granted.

Twilight doubleheaders were a lot of fun, too. Games ended around midnight, or one in the morning!
    NewJerseyMeatHook II
  • Options

<< <i>image

image >>

Feelin a bid nostalgic Jordan?

I was thinkin about my dad this week with the death of my wife's dad.

I remember the first time I took my son to a game - it was Shea Stadium.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mid 70's, Yanks vs. Royals at KC. When we got to town, my Dad figured the Yanks would be staying at the nice hotel across the street from Royals Stadium(can't remember if its a Hilton or what?) so we go there and the guy behind the desk tells him Billy Martin got kicked out of the hotel for fighting and told Dad where the Yankees were staying. We go there and we see some Yankees eating at the hotel restaurant, My two brothers, cousin and I, being country hicks, didn't know it was impolite to ask for autographs while players were eating. So we see four players in a booth, the only one we recognize is Mickey Rivers, so I follow my cousin over to him and he asks for his autograph, Mickey says not right now, I'm eating. So we didn't get any player autographs, one of my brothers got Elston Howards autograph, who was a coach for the Yanks at the time. Later, at the stadium before the game starts, us four kids put a hex on Mickey Rivers. It works, he takes on 0 fer 5 and the Royals win.image

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Dodgers and Braves at the LA Colosseum.
    Drysdale and Spahn warming up down the 3rd base line.
    Sky a perfect blue; grass green as summer.
    Beside me the towering left field screen.
    Every transistor tuned to Vin Scully, calling the play by play.
    Did I mention the green grass?
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    I was about 8 or 9, Wrigley Field. The first thing I saw too, and is
    forever etched in my mind was the lush green grass.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    1993, Indians Vs. O's at Camden Yards. I went wearing my Yankees cap of course. It was a school field trip, I was in 2nd or 3rd grade. Nosebleed section and I could hardly see a thing. Luckily, the O's lost. I was a happy kid.

NJMH-The new stadium is currently being built for the Nats, I didn't get to see them last year but I'll def be there this year. I live in Temple Hills, around 8 miles from the White House.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options

My father took me to my first game when I was 9.

When took public transportation to Fenway Park and I still savor that magical moment when you emerge from the bowels of the stadium and your senses are assault by the green monster, red clay sidelines and light brown infield.

It was Memorial Day weekend in 1958 and the Yankees were in town for a three-game series. Dave Sisler faced Don Larsen.

It was an ordinary game. The Yankees won and Berra hit a home run. I didn't make it to the end. I was in the medical room. I got so excited about what happened before the game that I ate a bag of peanuts, shells and nutsl, and I got sick.

What happened to get me so exciting is a memory of my lifetime.

My father was a newspaperman. His friend was the Red Sox public relations director and they arranged a tour of the Red Sox clubhouse before the game for me.

Joe McKenney was the pr guy. He took me through the dugout into the clubhouse and introduced me to Pinky Higgins, the Red Sox manager (he had booze breathe), and everyone of the Red Sox. They all signed my Red Sox baseball cards (I wish I still had them!) The last player I met was Ted Williams and he was the best. He sat with me on the dugout steps. He talked baseball for 10 full minutes. I was trying to convince him to come and play for my Little League team.

• Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭
    My 1st game was on 4/27/1968. I was 9 and in the cub scouts. Tom Phoebus threw a no hitter that day against Boston. I really didn't rember the whole game but late in the game I remember I knew the importance of what was going on. We were going nuts early in the game because we could, we were going nuts at the end because history was before us.

On a lesser note my mom , who was our den leader, took us to another game that year on 8/8/68. In the 3rd inning Phoebus hit a homer in the 3rd inning that landed in the corner by the foul pole where we were all sitting. A couple of batters later, Paul Blair hit one to almost the exact spot, except my mother caught this one. It hurt her fingers real bad. All of a sudden , a small black kid ( I'm sorry if I offended someone that thinks history need to be revised ) runs up to my mother , smacked her in the face, grabbed the ball and ran. we ran after him ,but he ran right into the parking lot and was gone.

Life can get crazy sometimes.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options

<< <i>I got so excited about what happened before the game that I ate a bag of peanuts, shells and nutsl, and I got sick. >>

Pharber

Great story!

Sorry but the peanut thing is too funny - tho I don't think you felt that way at the time!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    9/12/56 at the Polo Grounds, NY Giants vs. the Reds....

Vividly remember Ted Kluszewski and of course, Willie Mays.

Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    The first game I went to was in 1990, it was the Blue Jays vs. The Yankees at the Sky Dome in Toronto. I went with a friend of mine's father and grandfather. It was one of the first games Mattingly came back from on of his back injuries. I don't remember much from the game, but it was the night the Blue Jays broke the Major League attendance record. They gave us a plastic case to put the ticket in. I still have the case.

My best live game moment was seeing Mark McGwire hit a home run in Toronto and knock two doubles off the wall. I believe it was in 1997. My wife (girlfriend at the time) went to see two games in Toronto and McGwire was our favorite player. It was nice staying in the Sky Dome Hotel and watching batting practice while eating breakfast.
  • Options
    St. Louis -- Busch Stadium -- Cards v. Astros -- loved watching Ozzie Smith do those backflips! Must have been 1986 or so -- I was five.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Must have been the early 80's. Athletics vs Red Sox at Fenway and it was COLD as it could be at a night game in April. I got hit in the Leg with a foul ball from Jim Rice!!! the ball landed in my seat, and the guy nehind me pushed the seat down and grabbed the ball. I wish my dad would have beat him up to this day. I mean it landed IN MY SEAT!! How lucky can you be! I remember my dad being VISABLEY upset. I am going to ask him more about the game when i see him and update here if necessary
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    July 1980. Three Rivers Stadium. Pirste vs Mets. We sat on the third base side. The Pirates won. I think it was 3-0 or 3-1. I was almost seven years old. It was my parents my two brothers and my two sisters. I got to see my sports heros play. Willie Stargell, Dave Parker, Omar Moreno, Bill Madlock, Kent Tekulve. Ed Ott was catching, but I really wanted to see Manny Sanguillen. He may have been traded by then.

Seeing Stargell bat was the most memorable part of the game for me. For the rest of the family, the most memorable part was my adopted brother, who had just turned 10, telling anyone who would listen that Willie Stargell was actually his dad. The only reason he was hanging around with this bunch of white folks is because he was just being nice and taking us to the game.

*Edited to add that I wrote the same dam thing a year and a half ago. Doof!
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< I was 7 yrs old and my dad made the mistake of telling me a week in advance that we were going to Yankee Stadium on Sunday to see them play the Detroit Tigers! >>>

Mike you might not believe this but my first MLB game was also at Yankee Stadium against the Tigers on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon - I'm pretty sure it was a Sunday. I lived in Fairfield, CT at that time. From my recollection, I was very young I think first grade, the Yankees won the game 2-0. I could probably find the game if I Googled it enough and looked at the Yankees game charts. Sure wish we would have bought a program and kept the ticket.

I do know Mantle or Maris didn't hit a homer or I would have remembered that. For me it's more like a gray blur. I remember one of the poles blocking my view for much of the game and it was difficult to see the game because I was young and small. The seats were cramped and close together. I had never been in a crowd like that before, it was very crowded, and it was kind of uncomfortable to be honest. But I still enjoyed it being with Dad and all that, and of course the Yankees winning.

Our family moved to Philly a few years after that and for some years I was a combo Phillies and Yanks fan but eventually lost interest in the Yankees as far as being a fan.

-