Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Establishing Value of 1715 German States Thaler?

rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi, I am a regular on the US coin forum, but this is my first post over here. I have a very nice 1715 dated Brunswick-Luneburg-Calenberg Thaler that is KM # 88.2, pictured below. It appears to grade VF-30 or so by US coin standards, and it looks perfectly original to me. The trouble is that it is not priced in my Standard Catalog of German Coins. The very similar looking KM# 88.1 is a $165 coin in VF and $300 in XF, but this piece is the 88.2 with the initials under the horse, unpriced in any grade. I did find one auction record where a certified XF KM# 88.2 traded for $980 or so within the last year, but that is just one "data point." Does anyone else here who collects German coins have a better feel for a fair value on this piece? If certification is a big deal on these, where should I submit? I think PCGS would grade it based on originality. This may get listed over on the BST forum once I decide what it is worth, as I am more of a US coin collector.

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic coin. I love it. As for value, not listed in my 3rd ed. Krause but I would say in the $200 range. If you eBay you are probably better off putting it on eBay.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    wildjagwildjag Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    That is in fairly nice shape, but I am not sure of an accurate price for this piece. I have a local coin show this week that is heavy with German collectors and I will ask around. It would sell higher if it was graded but I have doubts that PCGS would slab this coin.
  • Options
    Why were you concerned about PCGS slabbing the piece? It hasn't been wiped or cleaned. There is something going on with the rim, but I think that is the way it was minted. Perhaps I am mistaken?
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think PCGS WOULD GRADE THIS... and it should go in the mid VF range. The value is subject to debate, but it seems to be attractive for what it is...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like a mount may have been removed from the coin, but without seeing the coin in person I can't tell for sure. Either way, a very nice coin and I see no reason to get it slabbed.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Perhaps I should send this to ANACS instead and see if they grade it or net grade it. Do they even slab German Thalers? I'm not even sure this coin would fit into one of their small slabs.

I thought about the possibility of the coin having been mounted, but there is very little evidence remaining if that was the case. The edge of the coin looks completely normal other than some small rim disturbances as seen in the photo.
  • Options
    UdoUdo Posts: 984 ✭✭
    It's almost impossible to give this coin a value, I have the feeling that it doesn't appear on the market very often.

I've only found three past auctions from Künker/Germany:

Künker Auction March 2003

Vorzüglich
    Price realized: 400 EUR

Vorzüglich

Sehr schön +
    Price realized: 260 EUR

Sehr Schön +

Künker Auction November 2002

Rand bearbeitet. Sehr schön (trace of mounting)
    Price realized: 110 EUR

Sehr Schön
    imageimage