Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Need a '72 Topps BB Expert

Hi,

I just aquired a really cherry 1972 Topps set (put together and stored for over 30 yrs). After going through it twice, I identified about 160 cards worthy of grading. That is, cards that I feel confident will come back at least 8s with possiblity for 9s and 10s. I want to know if anybody out there has ever submitted a glut of 72s for bulk grading, how they made out and what advice they could offer?

Ive done this before with 78s a couple of years back with positive results, although a good 10% of those came back as PSA 5 due to surface wrinkles which I wasnt even looking, which was just a waste of fees. So basically, is there anything I should be on the look out for with the 72s? Also, how tolerant are they on centering this year? I see some PSA 9s on ebay that look too off center to be 9s. Also, can there be very minor border chipping and still be 9s?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    1972T PSA 8 commons run around $5-8 on the most part.

I would check the POP reports for the set. Any common card that has a population of less then 30 in PSA 8 or better will sell for a premium.

High numbers (655 and above) CAN sell for a premium.

My suggestion would be to send in what you think are gradable cards that would sell for a premium. (this of course would include STAR/HOF cards)

Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• BarkusDBarkusD Posts: 624
    If there is chipping you will not get a 9 (probably not an 8 either). I have been buying my 72s graded (I have bought half the set in the last 2 months) because at 5-8 per card you lose money grading 8s. Most 9s only sell in the $15-$20 range. As LostDart pointed out, the only cards worth grading are the low pops and stars. Most stars in 8 sell for about 60% of SMR so its tough to make money there as well.
    View my inventory of PSA Graded Cards at My Ebay Store
  • smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭✭
    I have submitted 69 1972 high numbers to date and have received 3 10's, 22 9's and all but 8 others received an 8. The 7's were all off center and just thrown in as a lark. I examine every single card with a 10x loupe and have had great success thus far. Best of luck to you!

Mike

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are all worthless. You should send the entire set to me. Thank you.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.