Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Done Deal. It only took 301 days.

The NHL and NHLPA have signed off on a new six-year collective bargaining agreement.

Now the fun starts as the sides will have to deal with free agent signings and the 'Next One' Sidney Crosby sweepstakes. image

I don't think they're going to be hurting very badly.. Yes they lost a bunch of fans who are po'd but I think the other fans that haven't boycotted the NHL whom go to few games to many games.. who collect very little hockey cards to a lot of hockey cards will be going to see a lot more games and buying a lot more hockey product than ever.. These fans are missing the NHL bad and will dive right into it and with rookie cards of young stars like Crosby going into the 2005-06 product I think the card companies are in for a record sales year for hockey.

Call me crazy but just wait and see. image

Comments

• Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

Wow. Let there be hockey
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The NHL and NHLPA have signed off on a new six-year collective bargaining agreement.

Now the fun starts as the sides will have to deal with free agent signings and the 'Next One' Sidney Crosby sweepstakes. image

I don't think they're going to be hurting very badly.. Yes they lost a bunch of fans who are po'd but I think the other fans that haven't boycotted the NHL whom go to few games to many games.. who collect very little hockey cards to a lot of hockey cards will be going to see a lot more games and buying a lot more hockey product than ever.. These fans are missing the NHL bad and will dive right into it and with rookie cards of young stars like Crosby going into the 2005-06 product I think the card companies are in for a record sales year for hockey.

Call me crazy but just wait and see. image >>

"I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    I'm still buying. I hope everyone who is PO'd sells all their hockey.
    I for one will be going back to games and buying stuff. The year's abscent only made me hungry for more.
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    Geez, I have got to figure out how to do this whole quote thing properly.....my apologies. I am not very computer saavy.

Knuckles, you are CRAZY (with all due respect)!! I personally know of three collectors who have had enough, and who have vowed not to support the NHLPA any longer by buying hockey cards. One can assume there are many, many others. I do think, however, that there are others who will plunge wallet-first into the market, trying to make up for lost time.

By the way, I am looking forward to July 18 and that feature in the Hockey Beckett.

Eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    For a minute, I thought this was going to be about a "heritage" trade!
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Geez, I have got to figure out how to do this whole quote thing properly.....my apologies. I am not very computer saavy. >>

No big deal.. hit the 'Quote button', paste what the other person had said, click ok, type your response in the message text box under what was automaticly inserted after clicking ok..
    Before hitting the reply button just make sure the Q in brackets is at the front of what text you're responding too.. and the Q with the / in front of it within brackets should be at the end of this text before your words.. image

<< <i>By the way, I am looking forward to July 18 and that feature in the Hockey Beckett. >>

Thanks image I was at my local sports card store and he said that he won't have them on the 18th.. He told me that no one in the city ever receives Beckett's to sell on the given date by Beckett. I'll probably have to wait another 5 days+ after the 18th to see it for myself.

RipublicaninMass: image
  • Options
    Goalie equipment is getting cut down.. an inch here and inch there off of this and that.. no more 'cheaters' those plates in their sholders that stick way up.. those pants that are 20x the size they actually need.. Rather than just taking up space goalies will actually have to be goalies again.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Well IMO i hope the fans do what we baseball fans did a few years back, and that is don't show up. It appears that Jeromy reonick still doesn't care as well. Gotta love it.

To be totally honest, I really don't care what the deal is anymore. All I care about is getting the game back on the ice," Flyers star Jeremy Roenick said in a telephone interview during a celebrity golf event in Nevada

If Jeromy don't care, I don't care
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to celebrate with you and I hope this will bring the icemen some happiness.

What I know about hockey: ice - skates - sticks - puck - avulsed teeth.

But, I am willing to learn.

Is there like a place they can send you for training and stuff?

Congratulations guys
    Awaiting the news hi-lites
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭
    hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

The next 8 weeks are going to be VERY interesting as we witness 1) ratification by both parties, 2) the mad scramble of contract buyouts and free agent signings, and 3) the draft avec Sidney Crosby, the highest rated prospect since Eric Lindros. The the games begin! image
  • Options
    Yeah it's going to be interesting.. teams are going to be looking very different.

I hope Todd Bertuzzi's gets his reinstatement.

I hope Crosby doesn't go to a team like Nashville.. That would suck.

I hope Lindros ends up in Toronto.

weeeeeeeeeeeee
  • Options
    Yes, and I hope that my season tickets go down by about 20-25 percent, now that salaries can't exceed 54% of
    league-wide revenues.

Needless to say, I won't be holding my breath waiting for it to happen!
  • Options
    Oh, and by the way, Lindros is washed up.
  • Options
    I don't think he is.. As long as you can get a full season out of the guy or close to it he'll do very well for a team.. He'll put up the #'s..

Poor philly only has one ball.. (in the lottery draft)
  • Options
    kingraider75kingraider75 Posts: 1,500 ✭✭
    I bet wonderkid Crosby goes to a big market team. Rangers maybe? I think hockey is going to have an uphill battle in non-traditional markets, like the south and southeast. Seems like the hockey card collecting will probably get back to normal. They always use to claim that hockey collectors had the most income, so that helps right??
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭
    I read that the NHL may allow every team to be eligible to get the #1 pick (i.e. Crosby) via the lottery- though some teams will have a greater chance.

As a longtime hockey card collector and fan, I'm happy the game is back. I do hope that if any rule changes take effect, they'll actually ENFORCE them. The vow over the years to cut down on clutch-and-grab hockey has largely been empty. The league also tried to decrease the size of goalie equipment some years back. Again, look how big it is today. Eliminating the two-line pass, I think, will largely decrease the neutral zone trap, alas, open the game up. No-touch icing will also shave a few minutes off the game and, more importantly, reduce serious and needless injuries.

Yep, it's gonna be an interesting summer.
  • Options
    Red: yup.. it's a lottery.. everyone has a chance to 'win' him..

Some teams have more lottery balls than others which give them a better shot..

Lottery Balls

3 Buffalo
    3 Columbus
    3 NY Rangers
    3 Pittsburgh
    2 Anaheim
    2 Calgary
    2 Chicago
    2 Edmonton
    2 Los Angeles
    2 Minnesota
    2 Nashville
    2 Phoenix
    1 Atlanta
    1 Boston
    1 Carolina
    1 Colorado
    1 Dallas
    1 Detroit
    1 Florida
    1 Montreal
    1 New Jersey
    1 NY Islanders
    1 Ottawa
    1 Philadelphia
    1 St. Louis
    1 San Jose
    1 Tampa Bay
    1 Toronto
    1 Vancouver
    1 Washington
  • Options
    Crosby went to the Penguins.
  • Options
    KOBEcollectorKOBEcollector Posts: 3,873 ✭✭
    Rangers had 3 balls and end up with something like the 16th pick lol . Only the Rangers
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Thank God hockey is returning. I don't care if the players are greedy, or the owner's are hard-headed, or whatever. I just want to see somebody light a frickin' lamp.

Re: Knuckes wish list.

1) I do not hope Todd Bertuzzi gets reinstated immediately, although I admit he has to be reinstated at some point.

2) I agree that Crosby going to Nashvill would have sucked.

3) I would LOVE to see Lindros go to Toronto, just so all those Leafs fans can ask for the upteenth consecutive year: "What do we have to do to get this team to spend money on a decent corps of blue liners!" When McCabe and Kaberle are your best defensemen you can kiss a run at Lord Stanley's Cup good bye.

LONG LIVE THE NHL!!

• Options
    I think I'm actually gonna enjoy hockey a little bit now, it's odd that I even have broke any of it but I have... now trying to think of somebody I want to collect... although maybe I'll wait on making a decision until after all the wheeling and dealing is over... any suggestions of young stars that have a good selection of cards already and should have good productive careers for, say, at least another 8 years?
    Kobe Who? image At least Dwyane pays proper respect to Da Big Aristotle image

Yes, I collect shiny modern crap image

All your Shaq are belong to me image
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Hey bjork--

Marian Gaborik, Ilya Kovulchuk, Rick Nash, Vincent LeCavalier

Sidney Crosby is being hailed as the next Gretzky, so we'll see what happens. His cards are going to HIT THE MOON pricewise when they're released.

• Options
    The new logo sucks.. it looks awkward.. not right.. and I'm not sure about the whole shootout thing..

• Options
    Blah, of course I forgot about Nash, Gaborik, and LeCavalier... was thinking of Ilya (go fig, got rid of his UD rc when I was sure I was never gonna really collect hockey)
    Kobe Who? image At least Dwyane pays proper respect to Da Big Aristotle image

Yes, I collect shiny modern crap image

All your Shaq are belong to me image
  • Options
    New rules-

Moving the goals back to the original position- What was the original intent of moving them forward again?

Eliminating the red line- GOOD!

Shootouts after OT- Why not? It's exciting and there will be no more sister kissers.

Smaller goalie equipment- I'll believe it when I see it.
  • Options
    OnlypsahockeyOnlypsahockey Posts: 1,479 ✭✭
    Knuckles - can't wait to grab a hockey beckett Monday.I already called the local shop and told them to hold one for me.

bjork - two words.... Joe Thornton. He'll probably be the most poductive player in the league this season.

In case anyone missed it the Bruins are sitting pretty with only 3 players signed right now. They have about $30 mil to spend on putting together a stellar team for making a cup run.

Roenick, Guerin, Tkachuk, Lindros may all don the spoked B this year.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Harry Sinden is a genious.

Hey I can dream right. image

Bob

P.S. For the first time in 30 years there will be an Orr on the Bruins roster. Tuff guy Colton Orr (no relation) should make the team.

57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57