Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

69 opc will mays bvg 9.5

Looks to die for (God forbid it could be trimmed!)

Is there is a little too much space on the top of the card and the top plastic groove? (I'm most likely wrong, as I'm bidding on it anyway! LOL!)

ebay link

rbd

Comments

• Options
    I've owned cards graded by BVG in the past, and I felt they were accurately graded. Nevertheless, this is a PSA forum so expect nothing less than a torch-lit mob.

Brian
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Hmmm ... seller has 64 auctions currently running.

63 of them are for PSA graded cards, and one lonely BVG card.
    Have a feeling that Mays card got returned from PSA because of the dreaded 'evidence of trimming'.

If you don't care about stuff like that, then go for it ... image

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    awesome looking card, regardless..
    ·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>Hmmm ... seller has 64 auctions currently running.

63 of them are for PSA graded cards, and one lonely BVG card.
    Have a feeling that Mays card got returned from PSA because of the dreaded 'evidence of trimming'.

If you don't care about stuff like that, then go for it ... image >>

Great investigative eye. Those of us in the OPC circle shy away from BVG graded cards.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    There's no way this card is in a BVG holder unless it's sheet cut. Not from this seller. The surface grade is fine, so a guy might be tempted to take a flyer... but I think on the balance that's a losing gamble.
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Beautiful lookin' card. Does have a little extra space at the top though....good luck, hopefully not.

This seller has some great lookin' cards on his other auctions too. So many cards, so little cash! LOL
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

<< <i>There's no way this card is in a BVG holder unless it's sheet cut. Not from this seller. The surface grade is fine, so a guy might be tempted to take a flyer... but I think on the balance that's a losing gamble. >>

this card was consigned to them from the Oregan - Vancouver sheet cut team (the guys that bought the Mastro sheets. As were the PSA 9 1968-69 OPC hockey (which once again proves my theory that PSA is great at catching sheet cut OPC baseball but horrible on the hockey side)
  • Options
    Who is the Oregon-Vancouver team?
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    They have a ton of different ebay user id's . These are 3 that i know off the top of my head >> thekardking , generalet , cardmainia .

Most of the hockey guys have figured out that most of there stuff is sheet cut so they use Mintxpress to sell some of there more high profile cards such as the psa 9 1968-69 OPC Parent
  • Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    i was thinking the same thing , doncherry
    Bob
  • Options
    I've always wondered...if someone were to purchase an uncut sheet and wanted to take a chance and have it cut.....where would you go? Do you just take out a razor blade and do it yourself? Paper cutter? I've always wondered, but never looked into it.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    print shop
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Part of the allure of the opc card for many (including myself) is the rough cut - not too much fraying- just enough to validate its authenticity and remind one of the crude yet strangely attractive cutting methods in Canada. This Mays violates all that is opc. What a shame that someone did this to poor Willie. A bit unethical that the auction, even for a moment, leads anyone to believe its authentic. Sad that someone will pay good money for something that eventually will, in all likelyhood, be deemed worthless.
  • Options
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>They have a ton of different ebay user id's . These are 3 that i know off the top of my head >> thekardking , generalet , cardmainia .

Most of the hockey guys have figured out that most of there stuff is sheet cut so they use Mintxpress to sell some of there more high profile cards such as the psa 9 1968-69 OPC Parent >>

I live in Portland. I wonder if the few cardshops in the area are a part of it.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    I don't think they will be considered worthless? I think they have worth but probably a 1/4 the value as an authentic? I still think that PSA or SGC should designate them as such and grade encapsulate them. I bet then they would have some worth? I would buy a PSA 9 (SC) 68,
    71,73,74,75,76 thru 81 opc cards of Nolan Ryan. It would be tough to tell on the Topps cards but The OPC's are a no brainer!
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    rbdjr1 ( 1241) Retracted: US $501.00
    Explanation: Cannot contact the seller Bid: Jul-04-05 09:04:07 PDT
    Retracted: Jul-04-05 20:33:07 PDT

looks like someone got spooked
    Good for you.
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    Thank you hbsturn, jackstraw (and others), for helping me decide on passing-up on this wonderful looking item!

I sent a message to the seller (mintexpress), and expressed my concerns: That it is so perfect, for a '69 OPC, and it is his only item up for auction NOT in a PSA slab. I asked why a "monster card" like this is not PSA graded? I expressed my concerns as to being hand cut (sheet cut), as I did not hear back from the seller, I eMailed/messaged him again that I will be retracting my bid.

Sorry "Say Hey Willie", how I wanted our '69 OPC "gem" of a relationship to continue. imageimage 'boo-who'

Again, thanks all for "swaying me" into making what I believe was a hard, but a right decision to pass on this "stunning looking" card.

Please PSA, consider grading cards like these and mark them as "hand cuts", "sheet cuts", etc. Cut sheets or not, they are beautiful vintage material, based on the scan of this '69 Mays, deserves to be collected. Just like jackstraw said, if these hand/sheet cut OPCs were graded, he would be eager to grab-up OPC Ryan gems, as I would be eager to grab PSA material, like this Mays OPC item.

Maybe PSA with their wisdom, since "hand cuts" are now being graded, will consider some form of PSA grading for sheet cut material.

PSA did grade a 1962 Mickey Mantle Post Cereal Card, PSA 10, and labeled it "Hand Cut from Life Magazine Ad" (and not from a cereal Box). I think the item just sold on ebay for well over $2000. Why not do the same for cards like this beautiful Mays '69 OPC example? I'm quite sure it would find a nice home while in a PSA holder!

Sincerely,

rbd

#1 '76 Topps Baseball (100% 9.33 rating) Comment: Looking for mint: 51, 182, 308, 323, 585 (Torre), 609, 621
    #1 '61 Nu-Cards FB (100% 9.52 rating) Comment: Looking for card: 118 Charlie Mitchell (the only card in set that is not 9 or 10!)
    #6 Pete Rose Master (33% 9.4 grading) Comment: Just sent in a 1964 Topps Venezuelian Pete Rose card to PSA.
    #1 1914 Carreras LTD. Complete Set of 50 - "The Science of Boxing" (Just came back from PSA, beautiful looking cards)
    Other minor #1 sets

• Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    hbsturn,

here is a '75 OPC Pete Rose I'm selling that illustrates that "rough cut" look that you discussed. Supersize scan and take note of the "left edge".

1975 OPC #320 Pete Rose

Now take a look at a regular issue 1975 Topps #320 Pete Rose, and notice a smoother cut on the edges:

1975 TOPPS #320 Pete Rose

sincerely.

rbd

#1 '76 Topps Baseball (100% 9.33 rating) Comment: Looking for mint: 51, 182, 308, 323, 585 (Torre), 609, 621
    #1 '61 Nu-Cards FB (100% 9.52 rating) Comment: Looking for card: 118 Charlie Mitchell (the only card in set that is not 9 or 10!)
    #6 Pete Rose Master (33% 9.4 grading) Comment: Just sent in a 1964 Topps Venezuelian Pete Rose card to PSA.
    #1 1914 Carreras LTD. Complete Set of 50 - "The Science of Boxing" (Just came back from PSA, beautiful looking cards)
    Other minor #1 sets
  • Options
    Sick.

This infatuation with things perfect or close to it is________ (fill in the blank.)
  • Options
    This infatuation with things perfect or close to it is expensive
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    MintXPress is a great consignment service. I consigned a few high grade '60's cards to them a few years back, and was very satisfied with how they ran their auctions. Payment was received quickly. However, it does seem that they're quickly becoming a dumping ground for unscrupulous sheet-cutters. They only accept graded cards for consignment