Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Sellers that say "set" when it is in fact a LOT!

SET?

IM sorta annoyed cuz last night I purchased a "set" only to later find that it is a 'LOT"

Anyone else feel a "SET" should be a Complete set. And a LOT should be described as such, and if set is to be used "Partial" should be in the desription?

Steve
Good for you.

Comments

• Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I have run into the same problem lately also, and it is getting worse some guys have been listing "set" in the description with fewer than 20 cards to sell rediculous.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve
    This is what I call a set!

Or a rack!

Mike
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    You mean "Complete set" dontcha?
    Good for you.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah man Mike! Back problems soon for that woman!

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Mike: That's a nice set; the "top" should be called a rack pack.

Steve - I actually look for lots using "set" as a keyword. However, the auction you linked says nothing about a lot. To answer your question, yes - a set is a complete set (not unlike the l'il missy partially pictured above) - any set that isn't complete should be called a partial set.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    I've seen that too - it gets frustrating. Same goes with when the seller's title represents that all the cards in a set have been graded, but when you look at the auction 1 out of 700+ cards has actually been graded...

Brian
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

I bought a 1977 Seahawks Team Set, and it came without the card that I was looking for. When I contacted the seller he said "did you really think the Largent rookie was in there?" I could not believe that was his answer. I said that he should not mislead and he became more insulting. Appearantly he put the # of cards that were included in the team set which included the team checklist. When I read the # of cards I thought that the checklist was not counted and that the Largent was. Oh well, $7.00 to learn never to buy from him again.

The week after I bought a 1978 Cowboys set from a different seller which actually yielded a PSA 8 Dorsett.

Oh yeah, nice set Mikeimage

ZEF
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    sayheykid54sayheykid54 Posts: 779 ✭✭
    The seller clearly describes the number of cards included and the grades assigned. The auction title is designed to attract more potential bidders. I feel this auction is pretty straight forward.
  • Options
    thejamthejam Posts: 164
    ah yes ... ... kgmurphy ...
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I agree. It is just a ploy so that you will at least look at their auction. I hate when I am looking for sets and go into an auction and when you look at the fine print it says 512 of 609 cards. Don't call it a set on the listing then!

Stingray
  • Options
    kingraider75kingraider75 Posts: 1,500 ✭✭
    I do the same thing, so I won't throw stones on this one. It's annoying, but if the person states it's a partial, near, lot in the description then I think it's OK. Even with some of my complete sets I put lot in the title. Just trying to nab as many hits as possible.
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options
    sayheykid54sayheykid54 Posts: 779 ✭✭
    Technically it is a set. A partial set.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the insight sey hey

king in the example I provided the seller did not say it was partial. the "set" i bought was aslo misrepresented.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Technically, if my Aunt Edna had balls, she would be Uncle Ed image

It's misleading and should not be allowed. If it's a partial set and he advertises it as a set, the word "partial" should be required in the title.

For example, you have this 1955 Topps Set Super Nice PSA Grades

In the description, he discloses it's actually a "71 different 1955 topps lot".

That's comparable to a car dealership advertising a car but only selling the steering wheel.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options

Sorry about the blank message...

I agree that it is misleading but I understand that sellers pu it in the title to get more hits. I wouldn't have a problem if they put both lot and set in the title as long as they CLEARLY state in the opening of the auction whether it is a LOT or a SET.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions