Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1970 Collectors Watch Out

I am now officially a vintage collector. I have one of the 720 cards that I need to complete my set. Ty Cline will always have a special place in my heart as I recently purchased this card. I have liked this set for a long time but never really pursued it. Wish me well on my journey. Paul
#1 2000 Blue Xceptional Set(and #2 and #3, it's a sickness)
1933 Giants

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Good luck, just like Clay Carrol for my 1967 set that I am collecting, the first one will alway have a special place in my set, when and if I ever complete it.

Stingray
  • Options
    spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭
    Good luck Paul. Are you doing the set graded or ungraded? What's your minimum grade?

• Options
    I have a few already in ungraded condition but I think that when I buy, it will be 9's as the price is not way out of my reach. Years back (BG) before graded, I made the mistake? of putting together a very clean set but I paid more attention to centering than corners. I can't wait for a $5 special and I will send my best ones out. If I pull 8's that will be OK but I think I will only buy 9's especially the commons.
    1933 Giants
  • Options
    good luck in your quest. will you be collecting ALL 9's or just the commons?

chris k
  • Options
    highendhighend Posts: 534
    nice choice, i love the 70 set too.

PSA seems to make an exception for the infamous print lines that are common to the set.

if the print lines bother you it should be a gratifiying challenge to finish the set devoid of any cards that have them.
  • Options
    I think I am going to send in my stars and live with what I get. If I can find some 9's for my commons then those will be the ones that I purchase.

Highend-I passed on many cards as I upgraded my set that had the white lines. To me, they should be listed as a print defect but that is only my opinion. I have a few with those lines but not many. They definitely take away from the card's look.
    1933 Giants
  • Options
    Paul,

The very best of luck in your quest. It was the desire to complete the 1970 set that got me back into collecting about 7 years ago. When they first came out I was getting them in the mail series-by-series. But we moved across the Atlantic in June 1970 and the last three series never reached me.

I am now the proud posessor of a complete set of wildly varying quality - some PSA 8s, some from my childhood collection with tape marks where I stuck on carefully typed labels when players changed teams and with additional positions inscribed in ball-point when players became more versatile - ah, the innocence of youth. A complete, well-centered, PSA-graded set is definitely on my to-do list - but not quite yet. So for the moment, the field is yours. image

All best,
    Jonathan
    Baseball HOF Autographs
    Topps Baseball 1967
    Mike Payne's 300 Great Cards
    MVPs in their MVP years
    and T206???
  • Options
    Paul,

I love my 1970 set...first I ever finished and the set I am now working on to get to a 9.0. If can be of any help just let me know. Again, best of luck.

Dave Cryer (Cryer70 on the registry)
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    What draws you guys to the 1970 Topps set? I think I have a handle on most of the Topps sets since '52, but 1970 is one that eludes me. I'd love to hear someone who's passionate about the set explain its seductive powers.
  • Options
    Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990
    It's beautiful.
  • Options
    70 collectors - Have the following FS. Anyone interested pm me with an offer. Prefer to get rid of all as a 1 lot or 2 lots (7's or 8's). Thanks.

1970 Topps – All PSA 7
    25 – Cesar Tovar
    35 – Joe Horlen
    63 – NL RBI Leaders
    64 – AL RBI Leaders
    67 – NL ERA Leaders
    148 – Earl Weaver
    290 - Rod Carew
    224 – Steve Barber
    295 – Cecil Upshaw
    319 – Clayton Dalrymple
    330 – Lou Brock
    385 – George Scott
    399 – Yankees Team
    438 – Pat Jarvis
    510 – Tony Oliva
    528 – Elrod Hendricks
    545 – Ken Harrelson
    626 – Dave Ricketts ( SGC 84)
    629 - Merv Rettenmund

1970 Topps - All PSA 8
    114 – Gene Michael
    174 – Ted Sizemore
    206 – Clete Boyer
    226 – Ron Perranoski
    288 – Larry Hisle
    291 – Leo Durocher
    298 – Ken Henderson
    358 – Pedro Borbon
    472 – Brave Team
    475 – Dick McAuliffe
    541 – Bill Heath
    567 – Bob Oliver
    573 – Padres Rookies
    617 – Jim French
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    It is funny how we all have are own taste in the cards we like. I do not care for the design of the 1970 or 72s. Nothing against those who do like them. My favorites are 67s, 65s and 76s.

Stingray
  • Options
    I’ve been lurking on the board for some time now, and I never cease to be impressed by the level of knowledge/passion out there.

I thought I’d give in to the latter and offer a belated elegy to the 1970 BB set.

One of the primary reasons that it is my favorite set is because it was my first.

After church on Sundays my father would take us kids to the local Ha-Cha stationery store—we were each allowed to buy two pieces of candy. Being five-years old in NY in 1970 left me especially vulnerable to the charms of the 1969 Mets, and having a father who was a converted Brooklyn Dodgers’ fan sealed the deal. So, when I saw BB cards on the shelf that spring, they became a two-pack-per-Sunday habit throughout the length of the season, largely to feed my burgeoning passion for all things Mets.

Any Mets’ cards that I pulled took up permanent residence in my pockets, and every so often suffered the indignities of laundry day. But of course I would not have traded my tattered Seaver, Hodges, or Gentry for anything. Hell, I held tight to my Joe Foy, and he wasn’t even on the team anymore.

By and large those cards did not make the journey into adulthood with me. I sold a huge carton of them (along with a large number of 1965-1967s in much nicer condition that were bequeathed to me by an older neighbor when he moved) to the first card shop in town when I was about 11. I had never even seen a $100 bill before, and the nice gentleman in the store was kind enough to offer me one.

Now, the rational part of my brain would acquiesce to any argument that the 1970s are kind of bland (I mean, they are gray after all), but love of these cards, like most kinds of love, tends to challenge the rational part of the brain.

So, I love them because they are gray. I love them because when you flip them over they’re a silly yellow with neat blue accents.

I love them because I rode around on my bicycle throughout the summer of 1970 searching my neighborhood for Ron Klimkowski when I saw on the back of card #702 that he lived in my town. I never did find him…

I love that they have Pilots’ cards even though the Pilots didn’t exist anymore by the time the cards were released.

I love how Frank Tepedino’s card says “Yanks” instead of Yankees, and how Jose Cardenal’s says “Cards” instead of Cardinals.

I love how you can visually identify many high-number cards from the photo alone, which is often sharpened by the light and shadows of the Florida sun.

I love how the loopy cartoons let us know about Pedro Borbon’s favorite hobby (which I will not write here for fear of tripping overzealous filters), and someone else’s ulcers.

I love card #1: World Champions. Yes.

But most of all I love them because they were my first.

I’m currently building a mid-grade raw set, but I have most of the Mets in graded form—a sort of karmic payback for the time they spent gathering creases in my pockets back in the day.

• Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    I would almost have to echo inceptus word for word.

1970BB were my first packs and the cards that I probably spent more time looking at (front and back) than any other cards - combined. I think the colored letters on gray is very classical. (In the corporate design world, such a color scheme is considered to be elite.) I love the backs for their clarity. Though it's not unique to 1970, I remember looking at and being amazed at the minor league lines - teams and places that as a kid, seemed so special to me, esp. when there were very low minors listed in places where the town population could not have exceeded the number of ball players. 1970 FB and 1971 BB are close behind.