Home Sports Talk
Options

Is Bernie Williams Done?

AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
Sounds like it, with all the lineup changes the Yanks made today.

And on another yankee downward spiral note, big unit going to miss a start, probably going to go on the DL.

The wheels coming off, and it's barely may? Where's spammy!

Comments

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Womack in Left! image

Robinson something or other at 2B! image

Little Unit to the DL! image

Wright on the DL! image

Brown, Gordon, and Rivera all stinking up the joint! image

Life is good.
  • Options
    Amen brother!
    Jay
  • Options
    Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990
    The World Champion Boston Red Sux
    Won 13, Lost 12
    Hardly a championship team.

<<Rivera all stinking up the joint!>>

Mo Rivera has a 2.35 ERA. I wish all the starters had such an ERA.
  • Options
    Bernie is not done. He is just taking a rest.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Bernie is a class act, but he is done. He lost two steps in center, and doesn't have the arm.

Yankees are done as well. Turmoil in the Bronx with every loss ... and it grows
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    Read a very interesting line from Buster Olney's book, apparently following the Yanks' loss to the D'backs, da George took back control of all personell decisions from Cashman, Torre, et al:

"Steinbrenner took the reins back, veering onto his own erratic course, following his impetuous instincts. "You have no idea, day to day, what he's going to do," said one club official in 2003.
    The loss to the Diamondbacks seemed to make Steinbrenner even more desperate for championships, and he reverted to his old habits."

Seems George is determined to take the Yanks kicking and screaming away from the success that Cashman and Torre brought them, back to the awful years of before.

Olney Story
  • Options
    A very good friend of mine once worked for George. He worked in the front office at the VP level, had an office behind home plate and said that he had good days and not so good days. The not so good days were really bad.
  • Options
    << A very good friend of mine once worked for George.>>

Was his name George Constanza?
  • Options

<< <i><< A very good friend of mine once worked for George.>>

Was his name George Constanza? >>

Boy someone's in denial...the yankees are crashing and burning in front of our eyes, and poor ole spammy can't accept it.
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭
    Williams is notoriuos as a streak player. When he gets hot, he carries the team for 10-15 games. Basis his long term contributions to the Yanks, I think he is not yet done. I hope anyway.
    Proud of my 16x20 autographed and framed collection - all signed in person. Not big on modern - I'm stuck in the past!
  • Options
    Dirty Harry, I agree. I remember in 2002 Bernie had a slow start and went on a tear in August and hit in the 330's.
  • Options
    Gemmy.....yeah. He's done it many times......his M.O.
    Proud of my 16x20 autographed and framed collection - all signed in person. Not big on modern - I'm stuck in the past!
  • Options
    Too bad that was 3 years ago...Bernie's done as an everyday player.

edit: is Bernie a HoFer? Granted he's a career .301 hitter, but no MVPs, one top 3 finish (1998) in OPS, led the league in BA once, never hit more than 30 home runs. Yeah, he excelled in the post season, but is that enough to get him into the hall?

Pushing aside my anti-yankee bias, I am going to say no to bernie in the hall. He never truly dominated any season...just was a solid player. And solid players with no dominance have no place (in my opinion) in the hall.
  • Options
    Gemmy, no his name was not George Costanza, although we did call him that for the three seasons he worked for George. I am actually going to dinner with him and a few college buddies tonight in Hoboken, and I am sure the state of the Yankees will be discussed - those "Jersey Delts" are big Yanks fans. Quite obnoxious too ... but they are my pals.

Bernie cannot play a competent centerfield, and the Yankees all of a sudden are an old team.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>Seems George is determined to take the Yanks kicking and screaming away from the success that Cashman and Torre brought them, back to the awful years of before. >>

You can see this as clear as a bell - it's the 1980's all over again!

Good times!

Oh, and by the way, the Red Sox are not lighting the world on fire, but we are above .500 - with Schilling on the DL (and never really recovered yet from off-season surgery) - we are playing with house money this year, anyway...it's the Yanks and their fans who are out on the ledges across the NY area.
  • Options
    Axtiod - who said anything in this (your) thread about Williams in the HOF? Also...yeah...he is not the everyday stellar performer he used to be. That's what happens as you age. Yuo find your role. He's not done. His bat will revive.
  • Options
    Dirty-

Vendetta much? I said 'on a side note'...since it looks like Bernie's career is done.