Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

4 Sharp Corners certainly gets the grades......

10's Galore

what's-uh-the deal!

Comments

• Options
    wow, even though its mostly modern I am impressed! How much is SMR on a 1989 Upper deck griffey rookie in a PSA 10?
    Now looking for a 1950 Bowman Baseball Box as pictured below.
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    The deal is they probrably spend ungodly amounts of time on chosing there submissions. The do it for a living and have access to the cards. Thats all. Its all modern anyway. Theres collectors on this board that has had submissions with dozens of 10's in there submissions. They spend alot of painstaking time on choosing.
  • Options
    I've purchased several George Brett cards from 4 Square Corners and was pleased with cards and the service received. Fairly priced (in my opinion), well packaged and promptly shipped. He must go through lots of cards to come up with that many 10's even if they are moderns.
  • Options
    I agree with Gaspipe. Im sure they are like DSL and go through thousands of cards to whittle their submissions to the best of the best. And we never know how many 7's and 8's they end up with as well.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    I think they do choose only the best of the best to send, and with the newer stuff they don't even want to get 9's back. Modern stuff that would only grade 8 or 9 they prolly use as kindling for the woodstove in the winter. With a few exceptions (such as the SP Jeter and A-Rod rookies, the Pujols rookies) there's no point in paying the grading fees and shipping for those.

But I also suspect that some 9's slip through as 10's. Imagine a grader working through a tall stack of 100 cards of the same player. Say the first 50 in a row are drop-dead 10's. The grader's got the idea by now that this is likely a submission from 4SC or DSL, and he knows they are picky about what they submit. Maybe he starts thinking about his girlfriend, or going out for beers after work, and he doesn't bear down so hard on the remaining 50 in the stack. Maybe 4SC or DSL slipped a few 9's into the lower part of the stack, deliberately or not. The grader's been staring at gem mint 1989 Donruss Curt Schillings all afternoon. Maybe he only catches a couple of the 9's and three or four others get the 10 grade.

It doesn't seem so far-fetched.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    JR

I have to agree and confess to doing the same things in my job as well. image

I am a computer teacher and teach about 4 different classes each term. I have between 25-50 kids in each class (varying by class mind you). I grade approximately 50-100 pieces of homework, tests, classwork, etc. each week. It is currently the 4th term for me and by now I have a real gauge for the students who have excelled and the students who have not. I have come to assume the better students stuff will automatically be A+ and the F to C+ students I find myself grading much closer.

So from my vantage point, I agree 100% on the "not so far fetched theory".

I am sure the graders first look at who is submitting the cards, like I look at which student I am grading, and that influences the grading process.

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    Personally, I buy many Boggs and Bo Jackson cards from 4SC. I found them to be an excellent source of cards and have not had any problems with their customer service. My guess is that I have probably bought over 100 cards (either PSA 9s or PSA 10s) from them over the past year or so. If fact, I would say that at least 75% of my Boggs and Jackson players sets have come from them.

If you look at all their auctions, you will find that they get a lot of PSA 9s as well as PSA 10s. I don't ever see them selling PSA 8s or lower, but I imagine that they must get some. The amount of cards that they submit amazes me. I would be willing to bet that they submit over 5,000 cards a year. Wonder what kind of pricing deal they have with PSA. If it is $5 per card, they are getting hurt on almost all of the PSA 9s because they seldom even sell for $5. However, they make up for it with the price that they get for PSA 10s.

Mike
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    I think PSA gives a break on fees if you summit at least 1000 every month.

so who knows they might only pay 3 or 4 bucks per card
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And we never know how many 7's and 8's they end up with as well. >>

Keep in mind, some large submitters may put a minimum grade requirement in w/ PSA.
    Say they submit 1000 modern cards and state they only want 10's/ They are charged
    the grading fee of all 1000. PSA may deem that 200 of the cards are 10's. So the 10's
    are slabbed and the other 800 are sent back raw w/o holders. This way the submitter
    can liquidate the non 10's quicker w/o cracking each & every one out of the slab.
    And if someone checks the invoice, they will think they were 200 for 200 in 10's, w/o
    realizing that 800 didn't make the cut.
    I was explained this procedure by a large submitter...jay
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think PSA gives a break on fees if you summit at least 1000 every month.

so who knows they might only pay 3 or 4 bucks per card >>

There was a big-time submitter who, at one point, was given a $2.50 grading fee.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    There was a big-time submitter who, at one point, was given a $2.50 grading fee.

Okay, we need namesimage
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There was a big-time submitter who, at one point, was given a $2.50 grading fee.

Okay, we need namesimage >>

not from me....
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    4SC has been a great help for me with modern stuff. I've been consistently happy with the 9's and 10's that I get. I always picture them with a dumpster behind their house overflowing with offcenter and dinged cards.
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    what do they do with what they do not submit???

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    I wholesale my stuff to a few raw card dealers and even they get 9's and 10's. I just got back a 260 card submission and I spent quite awhile on these. Mostly 73-76. Mostly 9's with 6-10's and a dozen or so 8's. I'm actually disappointed, not a real good submission, I need to get 10-15 10's to get my grading fee back and make my money selling 9's for $8 to $10 apiece. Guess I need to look a little closer. Anybody interested in bulk lots of 9's from 73-76 I'll sell 20 at $170 postage paid.
  • Options
    what do they do with what they do not submit???

I'm sure if you needed something raw they have gobs of it laying around. They are super selective and blowout lower grades off ebay.
    But they are easy to talk to call em up or email em sometime, but remember they are also super busy.

Jeremy
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>There was a big-time submitter who, at one point, was given a $2.50 grading fee.

not from me.... >>

It it fair to assume this was a significantly larger than 10,000 card commitment?
  • Options
    Gaspipe, do you have a list? e-mail me - shamboscards@yahoo.com or send a PM.

Shannon
    shambo2000
  • Options
    There isnt anyone getting $2.50 or even close to that.
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    maybe Solomon did a long time ago.
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options

<< <i>maybe Solomon did a long time ago. >>

• Options
    There isnt anyone getting $2.50 or even close to that.

I agree with Gaspipe. The lowest fee I heard was $4.50 for 2000 card per month.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options

<< <i>

not from me.... >>

JT?
  • Options
    I'm sending 1000 a month and I WISH I could get $4.50.