Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Coin ID help

I think what I have is a 10 or 20 cent coin from the Republic of China year 18. It appears to have a picture of Sun Yat-sen on it, but I can't seem to find this coin in my book. My scanner is broke, so I can't get a picture up. Does anybody have a picture of these 2 coins they can show me so I can determine if I have that coin or not?
currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay

Comments

• Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Can you give us any more info?
  • Options
    The earliest coin with a Sun Yat Sen bust listed in Krause is a Year 21 (1932) silver dollar/yuan, Y#344. All of the pre-Taiwan Republic coins showing Sun Yat Sen have a full profile facting to the viewer's left with the country name and the date across the top of the obverse, in the traditional right-to-left manner. The dollar has a Chinese junk reverse. The others all depict an ancient spade money coin bracketed by the denomination on the reverse, and are dated Years 25-32 in 5-50 fen denominations.

No coins dated Year 18 are listed in Krause. The early Republic coins were undated, and except for 4 dated Year 8 (2), Year 10, and Year 13, Krause doesn't show anything bearing a date earlier than Year 25.

Are you sure yours is a Republic of China coin?
    Roy

• Options
    OK, here goes...one side has a picture like this one...image
    The other side has across the top what looks like the characters feng pa shih followed by the four symbols that represent the Republic of China (Nationalist). (according to my Krause)
    Across the bottom are 4 characters I can't identify. The middle of this side has 2 sets of branches that look like they are tied together at the bottom then are fanned aroubnd the edge of the coin towards the top. Inside the 2 b
    anches are 2 characters I can't identify. On either side of the branches are 2 star looking symbols.

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    China, Kwangtung province 20 cent. KM#426
  • Options
    Thank you so much!!! I found it in the book and it is exactly what I have. image

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Bravo!image

That is indeed the beast in question.

Satootoko, there are many coins from the early Republican period, included this one, that are dated. The eighteenth year of the Republic would be 1929. (Add 11)