Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

York Coin Fair; Results!

Well i finally managed to get to a coin fare at last, luckily for me a few things turned out alright today unexpectedly so i found myself at York walking my way from the train station to the Coin fare. (Walking back was more challenging... cos it took me a while to remember which way i'd come! A few delayed trains later and i'm here).

Well i enjoyed it plenty of stuff on offer, not a great deal i could afford. Oh yeah i saw stuff i wanted but the prices clearly showed the stuff didn't want me. But i managed to find a few things to bring home with me.

So for my Charles II sixpence set i can now scratch 1683 off of the 'to get' list! Interesting this one, i saw a few very nice ones and a few cleaned ones. Now i couldn't make my mind up about this, I am convinced is original, in hand you can see the lustre has depth, some light toning, a bit of colour with it too, but all very light, just how i like it. So it doesn't detract from the design. The reverse seems more of a 'cleaned look', but there is toning across the whole reverse but the scanner hasn't picked it up all that well, the fact that it tones darker in the centre of the reverse just makes it look odder. A slightly bigger flan than usual too.

This cost me £170 probably a tad on the high side as always but it doesn't seem too bad, cos it fits with my others, it looks alright and the grade is adequate for my requirements, plus i wanted it. It was originally £180, i handed over the £180 then he said "actually you can have it for £170", who am i to argue? image

Now some of you may remember that i was interested in aquiring some old French coinage from the Bourbon dynasty, well i saw quite a few coins, but two caught my eye in particular, hell i liked 'em enough i bought them. Now i love coins the size of sixpences (or US nickels for those US members unfamiliar with sixpences).

Now i commited the serious crime here of buying the coin before the book, so if i've overpayed it's my own fault. Now i personally thought some of the stuff offered by this dealer was overpriced (i was looking at their sixpences and some of the prices were... arrghh! never!)

So perhaps that wasn't a good sign, but hey i thought what the hell, i like em and i haven't seen any more knocking on my door and i know i'll regret not buying them.

So i got these; Firstly what is this copper one exactly? And should the 'U' in Louis be like that? Have i just bought a dud?

The info i got with it was this; 1777H France Liard La Rochelle VG348, KM585.6

So what's the denomination, what's the grade? And what's a fair price? And is it real? I paid £30 for it, so it's not a great deal, i've blown my money on worse things, or rather i've had a £20 note blow away down the street before never to be recovered, so it'll not be the worst thing that's happened.

And the second one is this;

1783A Dixieme D'Ecu VG 353, KM 568.1 for £35 (What's a good price on that?) What's a grade on that even?

I also scooped up some Third Reich coins from the Junk Boxes, including a slightly lustrous 1938-J 1 Reichspfennig for 50p, grading about EF i'd say.

I saw a lovely 1 reichsmark from about 1937 or so (i can't remember the exact date), £32 and in UNC condition with a bloom of original lustre, but the problem was it was J mint... and for my good set i wanted a Berlin one! So i passed on it.

Loads of other stuff, hammered gold sovereigns of Elizabeth I, Five Guniea pieces, gothic crows left right and centre. I didn't see any Churchills though! image

One coin i was drooling over was a 1703 Vigo Anne sixpence, must have been UNC, full original lustre, you could see it blooming and not a trace of wear, gorgeous coin but i was about £50 short for it, otherwise i would have bought it. I've never seen one as good.

Also came across a 1751 sixpence, first time i've actually encountered one of those. No 1710s though, that i could see.

Comments

• Options
    Nice haul, dude!!! Don't collect any of the coins that you have pictured so I can't add a whole lot to the thread except my congrats!
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    sounds like you had a good time and found some nice ones. I don't collect any of those either and can't comment on the prices paid. image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Very nice coins, Hope the hole in your wallet heals soonimage
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice coins, Hope the hole in your wallet heals soonimage >>

If i could afford a wallet! But i know what you mean... image

I can't scan copper very well at all, but here's the reichspfennig, there is lustre on there but i can't scan that either.

50p is always good though! Also i got a 5 reichspfennig, an above average Zinc one 1942-A (Yes A!) and that cost 10p.

The most enjoyable part of the day was searching through a junk box, dunno why but i just like junk boxes in coin stores... tons of cheap stuff and somewhere under all that lot is a coin you do want. I passed on an VF 1943 Merc Dime (also 50p), i was gonna buy it cos that's a fantastic price, but i thought better of it, cos i found a brass 10 reichspfennig, which was a type i didn't have in my low grade type set.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great coins.

I just watched the movie Restoration, which was set in the court of Charles II. And I am reading The Lost King of France, which is about the boy who would've been Louis XVII- I just got to the part where Louis XVI went to the guillotine.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Great coins!
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options

<< <i>Great coins.

I just watched the movie Restoration, which was set in the court of Charles II. And I am reading The Lost King of France, which is about the boy who would've been Louis XVII- I just got to the part where Louis XVI went to the guillotine. >>

I have studied this period of French history and that's half the reason why i wanted a coin from it, or two as the case may be... Looks like the copper one with just the head was a sign of things to come no? image
  • Options
    Hey Syl! It was good to finally meet up with you today.

Bit of a surprise as you'd already mentioned that you'd see me at the fair in July!

But thanks for coming by and introducing yourself.

Also, met up with GeoffT - not sure if he's on this forum, but have spoken to him on Pre-d. He would have liked to have caught up with you too, but didn't come by my table until later in the day, by which time you had already left.

• Options
    Oh was Geoff there! I didn't know he was going... pity cos i wanted to meet him too. He went to the Wakefield one last time i think, i know he asked if i was going but i had other things on.

Yeah i said i was going in July, but i didn't know i was going today until this morning, lesson got cancelled, money arrived earlier than expected. So spur of the moment thing... i sure hadn't travelled all that way to Huddersfield for 10 minutes of nothing. So i thought, oh i'll go to York. So i did. image
  • Options
    Yeah - I've seen Geoff before (just didn't know his name!). He does sometimes come to the Wakefield Fair. (There's one on 30th Jan so may well come along to that)

...............So spur of the moment thing... i sure hadn't travelled all that way to Huddersfield for 10 minutes of nothing. So i thought, oh i'll go to York. So i did.............

And aren't you glad you did! Good set of purchases there.
  • Options
    Oh i sure am! image
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on the coin purchases, Syl image

I have no books on the other coins, though, so I'm of no help with values. I love that sixpence image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice coins and as for the French coins... I think you done good.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Nice finds and coins.....£170 for a 322 year old coin seems reasonable, try finding an early U.S. silver in that condition for that kinda price....

• Options

<< <i>Nice finds and coins.....£170 for a 322 year old coin seems reasonable, try finding an early U.S. silver in that condition for that kinda price....

image >>

I've now got, 1674, 1675/4, 1675, 1676/5, 1680 and 1683

Just need the 1677, 1678/7, 1679, 1681, 1682, 1682/1 and 1684. The 1680 will need up grading one day. The 1676/5 is a decent grade but cos of the style of toning it looks a bit out of place. But i reckon a partial/full trade in could be done on that one when the time comes.

So ignoring the upgrade and swap... i'm almost half way to a full set.

Also technically related; I've already got the 1693 and 1694 William and Mary ones which makes a full set there, minus the 1693 upside down 3 variant, but that's an error variety and thus not included by me. But should one come my way i might add it in.
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I really like the 2 French coins! image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713

<< <i>Should the 'U' in Louis be like that? >>

Yes. The Roman alphabet didn't originally have a "U" and used "V" instead, so you will often find this "classical style" on older coins and medals.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Should the 'U' in Louis be like that? >>

Yes. The Roman alphabet didn't originally have a "U" and used "V" instead, so you will often find this "classical style" on older coins and medals. >>

No i knew the U/V business, what i actually mean was why the U was a bit slanted and irregularly placed, but some collectors on Cointalk have already put me straight on that saying it's perfectly normal for this era of French coinage.