Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

New member just returning to the hobby

Hey all I've been lurking these forums for the past 7-8 months and finally registered and figured I'd start posting. I did collect cards, baseball and football, from about 1987-1992 but I got out pretty much in 1992 when I graduated high school. I collected all cards but sort of focused on my favorite players Kirby Puckett, Nolan Ryan, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice and ofcourse the 'hot' rookies of the time. I just bought my first house and moved in so my mom says now I can take all my cards out of my old bedroom haha. I have a box of stuff that was my good stuff back then, bunch of Puckett rookies, Montana rookie, 3 Rice rookies, bunch of Barry Sanders rookies, stuff like that, I know it's not worth much anymore especially since none is graded.

I'm now going to focus on stuff I like and always wanted back when I collected before. I going to start a 1991 Topps Desert Shield set, when I collected this was very hot and I remember the price skyrocketing to like $10,000 or more for a set. I've bought several starter lots on Ebay this week consisting of 650 or so cards with some doubles so that will give me a nice base to work on over time. I don't think I'll grade the set just work on it raw in as close to mint condition as I can. I'm also going to work on collecting Joe Montana and Nolan Ryan cards, I do I follow the Nolan Ryan thread on the registery forum.

Well there's my rambling introduction and I hope to hang around and maybe sometime down the road trade/buy/sell with some of you

Comments

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome! image

I have card # 57 of the Desert Storm Pro Set. Whatever that is, got it from a small collection I picked up for nothing .

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    I was hopeing for another hockey guy (there's so few on here)..

At any rate, welcome to the board!

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Borst!

Are you any relation to the artist R. Borst?

Good luck on your Topps DS set!

your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    1991 Topps Desert Storm Homecoming Edition - 3rd Series

I've got #'s 177, 185, 192, 103, 208, 216, 219, 224, 225, 226, 227, 231, 235, 254, 259 & 261; Medal Stickers #38 (Army Silver Star) & 40 (Medal of Honor) and a wax wrapper.

Msg me if you're interested in a possible trade and welcome to the boards!

Howard
  • Options

Hi Borst,

Welcome to the boards !!!! I can also remember when those desert storm cards were the hottest thing out there.It's a good thing that you have been reading the Ryan thread all along.It would be a bear to have to read it from the start now.image

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options

<< <i>Welcome Borst!

Are you any relation to the artist R. Borst?

Good luck on your Topps DS set!

your friend
    Mike >>

Don't think so but not sure.

And no I'm not russian before someone asks because they always do image

Dirtydog48 - I'm working on the 1991 Topps Desert Shield set, they are the normal 1991 Topps baseball cards with the Desert Shield gold logo embossed on them that were given to the troops during the war, not many were produced and even less made it back to the states.
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards.
    If your starter lots for 1991 Topps Desert Shield incuded duplicates for any of these 4 cards:
    #38, 436, 455, and/or #592, please send me a PM.

I have a Nolan Ryan player collection and have quite a few duplicates. Maybe we can trade!

James
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options

<< <i>Hey all I've been lurking these forums for the past 7-8 months and finally registered and figured I'd start posting. I did collect cards, baseball and football, from about 1987-1992 but I got out pretty much in 1992 when I graduated high school. I collected all cards but sort of focused on my favorite players Kirby Puckett, Nolan Ryan, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice and ofcourse the 'hot' rookies of the time. I just bought my first house and moved in so my mom says now I can take all my cards out of my old bedroom haha. I have a box of stuff that was my good stuff back then, bunch of Puckett rookies, Montana rookie, 3 Rice rookies, bunch of Barry Sanders rookies, stuff like that, I know it's not worth much anymore especially since none is graded.

I'm now going to focus on stuff I like and always wanted back when I collected before. I going to start a 1991 Topps Desert Shield set, when I collected this was very hot and I remember the price skyrocketing to like $10,000 or more for a set. I've bought several starter lots on Ebay this week consisting of 650 or so cards with some doubles so that will give me a nice base to work on over time. I don't think I'll grade the set just work on it raw in as close to mint condition as I can. I'm also going to work on collecting Joe Montana and Nolan Ryan cards, I do I follow the Nolan Ryan thread on the registery forum.

Well there's my rambling introduction and I hope to hang around and maybe sometime down the road trade/buy/sell with some of you >>

hi

beware that there are many conterfeit 1991 Topps Desert Sheild cards out there....

• Options

<< <i>hi

beware that there are many conterfeit 1991 Topps Desert Sheild cards out there.... >>

I have read the little info I found on the fakes (was a link from somewhere on this site) and almost possitive I'll have no fakes so far as I just have commons and a few minor stars (one common lot I bought has a Don Mattingly so that was nice)
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    are you Russian ? just kidding welcome!