Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New Conders!!!!!!!!!!

Bill

09/07/2006

Comments

• Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405
    While buying this new house, I am living vicariously through you. Keep them coming.
    Both are very niceimageimage
    The second is Scottish right?
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I have examples of both of those - but yours are in MUCH nicer condition! image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Conders are so cool and you've got two good ones there Bill!image
  • Options
    Once again, Wowzers!!
    Shep
  • Options
    Those are awesome. The dragons on the second one are very cool.image
  • Options
    I really need to redo the Crooms picture. It is such a lovely proof with nice reflective fields and this image just does not show them.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Fabulous image

I always loved that one with the weaver and loom. Neat design!

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    Superb!!
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Love the dragons!!!!

How many conders you got now?
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    The Dragons are cool. I am up to 27 Conder Tokens.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Hmm i bought one today... *cough*
  • Options
    They look pretty old to me image But they sure are nice...... image
  • Options
    << Hmm i bought one today... *cough* >>

image You bought copper?????????

What'd you get?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Both are very nice, but that second one is amazing!!!!!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Well i don't know much about Conders, so i hope i haven't picked a Dud.. i just saw it and though ha, i'll get that. It's not actually for me but it's for a friend of mine who has a thing about copper coins. I will admit though as i was looking i was getting a little interested in them. Some are quite nice... oh dear did i just say that? image

Here's a link to some pics;

Conder

(Bearing in mind i bought this without any knowledge about them, so watch me have pulled a forgery or something!) image
  • Options
    Someone is going downimage

Link no worky for me. It wanted me to login.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Hang on...

Try this;

imageimage
  • Options
    There it is. Lady Godiva. Nice one.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Can i ask what would a decent price be on that one. I bought it in York (England) yesterday, now York's a coin hotbed as it has several shops, but being as it's an historic city marketed at tourists and the tourist industry i suppose they can charge prices at the upper end of the value spectrum.

I got this one for £7.50, now i had no idea what a fair price was for one of these. I'm not bothered if i overpayed too much cos it's a present for a friend on another forum anyhow. I showed him a picture and he likes it, so i'm happy whatever. image
  • Options
    I'd say that was a fair price for that one. As for what they normally sell for I have seen them all over the place depending on the grade. From $15.00 to $150.00 for diffferent varities.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    I dunno if i could make myself spend $150 on copper, but the cheaper ones look to be pretty decent for the price.

Am i going mad here? Cuprophobic and having to try to persuade myself not to buy copper? image

You've poisoned my mind... image And i actually think i'm rather enjoying it.
  • Options
    Copper poisening I love it. I need a nice example of the Lady Godiva one but I have not found one that I like yet.

As for $150.00 on copper that ain't nothing. I bid £700 on a Conder Token in the October Dix Noonan auction and still lost by a lot.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Now i'd happily spend £700 on a piece of tin, silver or gold. Strange innit?
  • Options
    danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭
    I just sold a Lady Godiva token on eBay last week, and it wasn't in as nice a condition as yours, for I think about $13.00, so at what you paid for it I think you did good image
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • Options
    You paid about the right price unless the edge says PAYABLE AT I FIELDINGS MANCHESTER. You have a Warwickshire 242. It comes with six different edge inscriptions. The I Fieldings edge (242e) is extremely rare, and tere are two other edges which are just rare. The other three are common. You may be interested to know that your coin is a contemporary counterfeit as are all of the 1793 Lady Godivas.
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    very cool!
  • Options

<< <i>You paid about the right price unless the edge says PAYABLE AT I FIELDINGS MANCHESTER. You have a Warwickshire 242. It comes with six different edge inscriptions. The I Fieldings edge (242e) is extremely rare, and tere are two other edges which are just rare. The other three are common. You may be interested to know that your coin is a contemporary counterfeit as are all of the 1793 Lady Godivas. >>

You know i had a feeling you were gonna say that! image

Actually that's all the more better, cos a counterfeit shows what a state the currency was in at the time. Not only were they having to produce tokens to make up for the lack of regal coinage (of which alot were forgeries anyhow), but they are actively copying the conder token as well!

Wow i couldn't have captured a period of history any better if i'd tried really. Wicked image
  • Options
    I got bite by the Conder bug well before I started posting here. I keep telling myself noooo! but it doesn't work. I now have a dozen of the silly things and I know there will be more!
    "Any fool can use Power, but it is our wits that make us men."

Collecting Penguins, Named Ship Coins and other assorted goodies

Looking for Circulated coins of Papua New Guinea

stores.ebay.com/Grumpy's-Cave
  • Options
    Noooooooooooo! There is no cure... imageimage
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paging through an old British dictionary I found this entry:

Conderoma - [con' • der • oma]

1. A cerebral growth that decreases purchasing inhibition when exposed to copper greater than 200 years old; no known cure available at present.

2. A benign brain tumor believed to originate in England around the turn of the 19th century following exposure to excessively wonderful copper tokens.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    <<Conderoma>>

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    I've booked myself in for surgery to have it removed! image
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Knowing the state of the National Health system in England you may have to live with that growth for several years! image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    Several decades... image