Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

If u had a choice between 1 of these rc's............

graded bgs, psa or gai gem what would you take & why?? i know the obvious answer would be $ but what besides that? i put mine in the order i would take.

7) 86 fleer jordan

4) 68 ryan

1) 80-81 topps bird / magic

2) 79-80 opc gretzky

6) 67 topps seaver

3) 72 staubach

5) 76 payton

my choice would be the bird rc. growing up all i ever saw & heard was bird. i rememeber watching, which it seemed every game with my dad.

Comments

• Options
    I'll take the Payton.
    everywhere you go
    there you are

marc in Hawaii
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are my choices, with rationale:

1) 68 ryan (My favorite player of all time)

2) 74 Winfield (2nd greatest Padre ever, my favorite Padre of all-time, and for me the most exciting to watch...he could do it all) image

3) 80-81 topps bird / magic (Great rivalry between the two and I'm a fan of both)

4) 86 fleer jordan (Just have always wanted one)

5) 69 Reggie Jax (The Staw that stirred the drink)

6) 72 staubach (One of the all-time best portrait shots on any sportscard)

7) 68 Bench (have always been a big fan of JB)

8) 79-80 opc gretzky (Can't go wrong with this one)

9) 76 payton (Can't go wrong with this one either)

10) 67 topps seaver (have never really been a fan of Seaver)

Steve
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I would take the Ryan. Always loved that card and wanted one so bad growing up, but as a kid I never had near the kind of money they brought. The MJ would be second- even though I have one, it is just such a great card.
  • Options
    For me it would have to be the Jordan,I used to own one and someday hope to own another.The guy was just unrealimage
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Jordan all the way. Out of all the players listed, he's hands down the greatest in his sport. The card will forever hold its value.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    The card will forever hold its value.

You have to consider that the card is worth 1/2 of what it was a few years ago and is at its lowest mark in about 10 years
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    i'll take the 52 mantle
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Allen makes a good point about the Fleer Jordan - a sweet card though.

I would pick the Payton from your list, if I was making my own list - I would like a 1960 Topps Yaz RC.
  • Options
    How's this for timing. I had three Jordan's and about two months before the first Basketball Beckett came out, I traded them for 5 UD Griffey Rookies. What a Deal!! Anyhow, I think I would take the Gretzky as I don't own a single Hockey card, but this would be the one to have.
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    I would take the Jordan I've always wanted one as well.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    You have to consider that the card is worth 1/2 of what it was a few years ago and is at its lowest mark in about 10 years

still not bad for a card that at its release could have been bought for under 20.00.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grade
    How did you come up with this selection? Just curious.

Stone
    Mike
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>and is at its lowest mark in about 10 years >>

Is this really true? A Jordan rookie is cheaper now than it was in 1994?

<< <i>still not bad for a card that at its release could have been bought for under 20.00. >>

$20? I'd think you could have gotten ten of them for that price when it was released.
  • Options
    I don't have my Becketts in front of me at the moment, but I remember when the Jordan rookie jumped up. I think the lowest I ever remember it being was around $650. I know it was $900 for a very long time then it jumped to $1000 then $1200 and peaked at $1600 or $1650.
    The 94-95 season is when Jordan made the comeback and the card got hot so it had to be in the $850-$900 range. If someone has their old beckett collection handy that would be great.

I am suprised that it is as low as it is right now. I never thought it would go less than $1,000.
  • Options
    My first choice would be the OPC Gretzky then the Ryan.
    That's a great list. Wouldn't mind having them all.
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    While I would love to have the Jordan or Ryan because I don't have either one yet, I would still choose a PSA 10 Staubach because he is my favorite player of all-time. I have one already, but it is raw and would grade a 6 or 7 if submitted.
    James
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    Not sure why the selection...includes some of the greatest rookie cards in the hobby, but not all (mantle, aaron, mikan for instance).

I would go with the ryan and seaver just because i need those personally for my collection. And as a basketball fan, i would definitely enjoy having a bird/johnson and a jordan rookie.
  • Options
    DhjacksDhjacks Posts: 343 ✭✭
    Just for fyi...

Listed from most common in PSA 8/9 to least common

Card ...... Population 8/9 ..... SMR 8/9

1) '86 Jordan ...... 5,341/1,634 ....... $500/$1100
    2) '80 Bird/Magic...... 1,515/322 ........ $220/$800
    3) '76 Payton ....... 1,095/249 ........... $175/$500
    4) '68 Ryan .......... 412/45 ............. $1,000/$5,500
    5) '67 Seaver........ 343/51 .......... $750 / $2,200
    6) 79 Gretzky OPC ..... 340/26 ............ $875 / $5,500
    7) '69 Reggie ........ 268 / 18 ............ $450 / $5,500

Since I have the Ryan (PSA 7), I'd like the Seaver. Although the '48 Mikan, '57 Russell and '61 Chamberlain may all top this list.
    Working on 1969 through 1975 Basketball.
  • Options

68 Ryan - I collect Baseball HOF Rookies and is a card I have wanted since childhood.

76 payton - This is another card I have always wanted since childhood, and while I will get one soon, GEM is only but a dream.

67 topps seaver - Again, like the Ryan, this is on my "to get" list, however, this doesn't have the same allure to me as the Ryan.

86 Fleer Jordan - I don't collect basketball, but to me this is the pinnacle card of the modern basketball era, so you gotta have it.

80-81 topps bird / magic - Two of the greatest of all time on one tough card, what's not to like.

72 staubach - Being a Redskins fan in the NY Metro area that is a double whammy against the cowboys. Although once I start my assault on the NFL HOF Rookie list he will surely be near the top

79-80 opc gretzky - I admire the card, but I am not into hockey thus this would be last on this particular list - even though it is probably the most valuable in GEM Mint

I realize that GradedDream asked which of these cards in GEM Mint condition would you most want, but do a lot of you have these cards in the upper grades (7,8,9); just not in GEM Mint? For me the list doesn't change whether we are talking about these cards all graded a 6, 8 or 10.

• Options
    DHjacks:
    Could you also provide the numbers for the 72 Staubach?

I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    I'll take the Ryan - great card and I no got.

<< <i>$20? I'd think you could have gotten ten of them for that price when it was released. >>

ajw
    Actually the set was a bomb where I lived. Nobody liked the design or anything - they were selling at the end of the season at below suggested pack price. The candy distributor had topps and fleer closeouts by my office back then - for what ever reason, he would put a big X on the top of the box. I have a great Fleer war story about that but let's just say that I was an idiot and leave it at that.
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    DhjacksDhjacks Posts: 343 ✭✭

'72 Staubach ....... 152 psa 8s / 13 psa 9's ...... SMR $300/$1,250
    Working on 1969 through 1975 Basketball.
  • Options
    Thanks!image
  • Options
    Thanks! image

Sorry for the double post
  • Options
    67 Seaver - this is one of the five cards I need to complete the set. This card is much tougher than the 68 Ryan. This will not be a popular opinion on this board with all the Ryan supporters, but I think Seaver was a better overall pitcher than Ryan. Ryan was a great strikeout pitcher, Seaver was a complete pitcher.
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    I have to take the 1979-80 O-Pee-Chee Wayne. Who else
    could be referred to as "The Great One" and still be
    underrated in some circles.

Even the 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle has, I believe, three
    PSA 10s. If I'm not mistaken, there is only one Gretzky
    PSA 10.

Besides, the blue border looks great when the card is in
    crisp position.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think Seaver was a better overall pitcher than Ryan. Ryan was a great strikeout pitcher, Seaver was a complete pitcher. >>

I don't mean to taunt the NRMS guys, but the above statement is undeniably true. Seaver is one of the most underrated players of the last 30 years. Ryan is one of the most overrated. That's not to say that Ryan wasn't a great player, but he wasn't Tom Terriffic.
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Since two posters mentioned the 52 Mantle...............,

His RC is the 1951 Bowman, not really the 52 Topps nor the 52 Bowman either. Maybe more popular or expensive, but not his true RC from any major card company.

For my personal collecting via sets, RCs I'd enjoy would be a 57 Unitas, or a 73 Schmidt, or a 1979 Ozzie in gem 10 shape !!!

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    You're right, jaxx. My mistake.

Maybe the question for this post should have been: What are the top ten rookie cards in the hobby? Of course, these lists would be subjective given the interests and collection purposes of board members.
  • Options
    I would take the '67 Seaver. Seaver is my dad's favorite player, and the role of my dad in cultivating my interest in sports (and less directly, card collecting) gives this RC a certain sentimental value. This is the only one of the cards on the list I would realistically attempt to purchase (probably in a low to mid-grade) unless I become fabulously wealthy.

Peter G.
    Always looking for PSA 9 or better Alan Trammell basic set cards. Visit my Trammell card web site at "www.trammellcards.com"
  • Options
    Nice change on the icon:

Is that you Ranch?

Stone
    Mike
  • Options
    I'll take one Ryan please...thank you

Mark