Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Bench registry members (and others) please read & offer input

This is not intended to start another fight about weights. But as a result of a recent submission, I will ask PSA to add a couple cards to the Bench registry. I would like some input on weights to suggest for these cards. Last time my recommendations were largely disregarded in favor of some other criteria, but still we have to give them something to start from. Whatever you guys want is fine with me.

1969 MLBPA Stamp hand-cut (PSA 8). Only 2 previously graded; one of those is mine, too.

1971 Bazooka unnumbered complete hand-cut panel (PSA 9). The first graded 3-card Bazooka panel. Two graded Bench singles exist, at the moment. The single card is weighted 2. What should a full panel get?

1978 Hostess hand-cut (PSA 9). For some reason, this is the first Bench graded. Weights for Hostess singles in other years range from 1 to 3. I'm ignorant of relative scarcity in different years.

Comments

• Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    In my opinion, there shouldn't be 2 separate entries for an uncut bazooka panel and a bazooka card which is from the smae panel. Doing this would open the door for the same for Hostess issues. I don't think we should be required to get 2 of something, and then cut one of them apart. I think this again raises the issue of grading hand-cut cards, which seems to be one of the slipperiest slopes PSA faces. Urg. My advice to the bench collectors is to unload everythng they have and start over with a modern player whose cards are a better investment, because that's all this hobby is about anyways. Try Barry Bonds or Ken Griffey Jr., two fan favorites who have PROVEN themselves as opposed to some silly catcher from Ohio. Brien taylor would also be a good choice.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭

<< <i>In my opinion, there shouldn't be 2 separate entries for an uncut bazooka panel and a bazooka card which is from the smae panel. >>

I don't disagree, but the fact is, that door is already open. PSA already handles panels and singles separately. Look at Hostess and, even more so, 1981 Topps Scratchoffs. The single Bench Scratchoff is one entry and each panel variation has its own entry, too. There's an argument to be made that a complete panel is harder than a single, but I would think one panel could serve to represent the half-dozen variations.

<< <i>Try Barry Bonds or Ken Griffey Jr., two fan favorites who have PROVEN themselves as opposed to some silly catcher from Ohio. Brien taylor would also be a good choice. >>

Muddy, I have some cards you may be interested in buying! image
  • Options
    Looking for well centered 1958 topps baseball psa 8 and up. Also dying for a 70 Aaron All Star in PSA 9.
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    A bit off topic...but I saw some coverage of Johnny Bench on CNN today. I couldn't hear the audio, but it appears that Mr. Baseball Bunch was the chairman (or whatever) of some type of dog parade in Cincinnati. The dogs were all dressed up in costumes. I would have recommended that Bench go in disguise, too...
  • Options

<< <i>A bit off topic...but I saw some coverage of Johnny Bench on CNN today. I couldn't hear the audio, but it appears that Mr. Baseball Bunch was the chairman (or whatever) of some type of dog parade in Cincinnati. The dogs were all dressed up in costumes. I would have recommended that Bench go in disguise, too... >>

The things retired ballplayers have to do for a living!
  • Options
    John- I think I have included all 3 of those cards (maybe not) in the updated Bench Master Set spreadsheet, which should be going out before lunch today to the top 5 or so Bench Registry members. Sounds like a good discussion point for the group!
  • Options
    BTW- I also asked for the 69 MLB Stamp be included a month or so ago, but no response as of yet. I asked for a 2.5 on it, but a 2 sounds reasonable too. I don't think I requested either of the other cards be added, since they hadn't been graded at the time. I'll add them to the spreadsheet for inclusion.
  • Options
    The famous spreadsheet! Scott, I sent in my copy long ago. I guess the return has not been large enough for PSA to do anything with it.
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

I am basing this on the assumption that the rookie is a 10. In PSA 8 grade (the basis grade for weight determination), the rookie sells for $250-300. This is my assumption for how the grading in a Bench set might work:

10 = $251-300
    9 = $201-250
    8 = $151-200
    7 = $101-150
    6 = $76-100
    5 = $51-75
    4 = $31-50
    3 = $21-30
    2 = $10-20
    1 = $1-10
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Here are my thoughts:

(call me)
  • Options
    John- Yep, the spreadsheet is still alive. I just sent it out right before lunch, so even if you've filled it out before, please do so again, adding your changes to the spreadsheet and send it back to me. I'll compile everything and then send it on to BJ.
  • Options
    Hi BenchGuys,

I was just looking at a post over in Sports Cards & Memorbilia Forum and noticed the 1971 Topps #328 has you favorite guy pictured behind the plate. I checked and this card isn't in the Bench Master set and
    I was curious as to why.

Now the only reason I'm asking is that the 1971 #355 Bud Harrelson is in the Nolan Ryan Master set, because Nollies on the mound as Bud's fielding his position.

Just curious and envious that your set doesn't have 500+ cards in it,

Scott J.

• Options

<< <i>Just curious and envious that your set doesn't have 500+ cards in it, >>

Give it time, Scott.

As for #328, I know it's a World Series card but that's all. Do you have a scan?
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    hi all,

i have no desire to continue on with this issue of grade weights.

please do as you wish.

lee

• Options
    Bob ... Buford Shmuford! That clearly should be Johnny's card! image

Let's start a new registry: Other Players' Cards That Johnny Bench Is On
  • Options
    Lee- Sorry to hear you're not interested in providing further input into the weights for the Bench set. The spreadsheet does have your input on most of the rare cards, which were the ones that generated the most debate. So, you will still have an equal voice when it comes to those specific cards.

Scott
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't add it. The card doesn't name Bench on the front of it, and he's not the unmistakeable feature of the card. Frankly, the '76 Topps World Series card seems questionable for continued registry status to me too.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.