Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Guadeloupe 50 centimes UNC?

Just picked this up on ebay: Guadeloupe 50 centimes

cropped ebay pic:
imageimage

So, whaddya think?? Price, condition? Seems it may be closer to AU. I think I might slab this one, should I? What do you think it'll grade?

(OMG! I can't believe I'm talking like this! image)

Comments

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still haven't unpacked a Krause to make any intelligent comments regarding price...but that's a nice looking coin--I like it alot! Anyway, I vote to leave it be, unless you're trying to sell it to someone who wants the plastic.

Spoon= big-fat-budda ?!?!? That's a good ebay name, though I must admit every time I see your posts, I hear the voice of the Tick!

• Options
    Very nice!

KM#45 XF$85 UNC$240
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Spoon= big-fat-budda ?!?!? That's a good ebay name, though I must admit every time I see your posts, I hear the voice of the Tick! >>

I'm terrible when it comes to dreaming up screen names. But it was a real Tick moment too when I first registered with Spoon.. I was eating yogurt and couldn't think of anything.. SPOON!! image

I don't have a clue what was in my head when I chose the ebay handle...
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice!
    KM#45 XF$85 UNC$240 >>

Cool! Thanks for the quote image

I don't think I will slab it, maybe when (IF!) I sell. But I've been getting some nicer coins than usual lately so I figured it's about time I experiment and figure out how it's done.

This is actually the most I've ever spent on a single coin by 30 bucks. image
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    looks really nice, where do you see the wear?
  • Options
    I don't see any wear on it, but I think there may be a little residue around the rims and a very slight knick on one of the reeds on reverse. I'm still not the greatest at grading so I dunno if something like that might knock it down?

Regardless, I love it! I actually like collecting circulated coins better (real history there!), but this is an awesome design deserving of an UNC example. Seems like a good value considering the book price and the condition of the ones usually seen on ebay. image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of those coins on which you can just about forget catalog price. They
    aren't seen in high grade and generally attract little interest. If you need one you just
    have to pay the price when it appears. Grade on these isn't so critical either since
    they're tough in all better grades. This one actually does look unc from the scan. It's
    not especially pretty but it does appear unc.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Nice grab spoon. I'd like to know why so many of these French colonies coins have this inscription Bon pour (=good for) .... in this case 50 centimes. Is it an emergency coin, or a token? Otherwise, it should simply say 50 centimes , right?
    Dimitri

DPOTD-1
  • Options
    Nice find, never seen one before, not that I have been looking..... image
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Nice, I like that indian.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    A pretty scarce piece in a challenging condition!! image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image