Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1909 Honus Wagner on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=73433&item=5133295462&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

says hes a power seller but something i dont trust about a seller that's feedback is private regardless of the % rate. Any opinons on the card????

Comments

• Options
    guaranteed reprint
  • Options
    just realized the reserve was met at $183 it has to be a reprint some poor person is gunna win a nice worthless card
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    eBay Power Scammers - gotta love 'em.

I'm tempted to get his contact info to pass it on to board members who are in Michigan.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    jersterjerster Posts: 828 ✭✭✭
    Im in the Detroit area, let me know.
  • Options
    I dont know if Ebay would stop the auction but am half tempted to forward the auction and his name to them for them to review it
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    Anyone dumb enough to bid $180 on that with the thought that they may be buying a $100K+ card that slipped through the cracks deserves to be ripped off by this guy for being that dumb and gullible. My thoughts about such people have evolved to the point that I have no pity for a guy who bids on these type auctions, with greed as their motive, entering into a potential contract in an ignorant state, not having a clue of the market they are in, and no idea the true worth of the item they intend to purchase. Fools and their money are parted daily on eBay, and unless people wise up, which has shown no indication of happening, it will continue indefinitely. A sucker is born every minute - on eBay.
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone dumb enough to bid $180 on that with the thought that they may be buying a $100K+ card that slipped through the cracks deserves to be ripped off by this guy for being that dumb and gullible. My thoughts about such people have evolved to the point that I have no pity for a guy who bids on these type auctions, with greed as their motive, entering into a potential contract in an ignorant state, not having a clue of the market they are in, and no idea the true worth of the item they intend to purchase. Fools and their money are parted daily on eBay, and unless people wise up, which has shown no indication of happening, it will continue indefinitely. A sucker is born every minute - on eBay. >>

well said image
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The card is a reprint from a reprint which was reprinted on a color copier printed from a scanned image from an offset duplicator reprinted from a mimeograph machine copied from a magazine cut-out reprint that was reprinted on an inkjet printer.
  • Options
    The card is a reprint from a reprint which was reprinted on a color copier printed from a scanned image from an offset duplicator reprinted from a mimeograph machine copied from a magazine cut-out reprint that was reprinted on an inkjet printer.

I think that makes it more valuable than the real one!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    tinas you seem to have a special knack in finding these weired auctions.........image
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>tinas you seem to have a special knack in finding these weired auctions.........image >>

haha i know i dont know if thats a good thing or bad thing though. i reported him to ebay and emailed i told him he had 24 hours to tell the poor people that he was ripping off that he was selling a crap card but instead once i seen the rest of his listing i just reported him so hopefully they'll get that idiot off ebay. image
  • Options
    From: DavidSkibinski@aol.com Add to Address BookAdd to Address Book
    Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 07:21:32 EDT
    Subject: Re: Question from eBay Member
    To: f1cross@yahoo.com
    system failure..............

nice email back to bad aol email doesnt have system failure and if it did i highly doubt it would have .............. after it lol what a retard i hope he does get kicked off ebay for this
  • Options
    Linky. Brian and Honus together. image
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    "Power Seller" meaning what -- he ripped off people for $3,000 or more in the last month?
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    The people who bid on this card deserve to win it.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Anyone dumb enough to bid $180 on that with the thought that they may be buying a $100K+ card that slipped through the cracks deserves to be ripped off by this guy for being that dumb and gullible. My thoughts about such people have evolved to the point that I have no pity for a guy who bids on these type auctions, with greed as their motive, entering into a potential contract in an ignorant state, not having a clue of the market they are in, and no idea the true worth of the item they intend to purchase. Fools and their money are parted daily on eBay, and unless people wise up, which has shown no indication of happening, it will continue indefinitely. A sucker is born every minute - on eBay. >>

well said image >>

Well, yes - well said, but awfully heartless. I don't think anybody who gets screwed by a scam deserves it. We don't know who the sucker is and/or why he got suckered and/or what outside pressures were involved in the bid and how intelligent the sucker is, etc.. I can't at all abide with the attitude that it's his own damn fault. The victim is never to blame; scammers depend on the weak showing up (as Yogi put it: afterall, none of us are human...). Come on guys - lighten up.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    reserve is met at 100.00 on a card worth thousands....

Good for you.
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    The victim is never to blame; scammers depend on the weak showing up

Gotta disagree with you. Obvious scams such as this one appeal to only the greediest of the greedy. They deserve what their greed has dictated.
  • Options
    it could though, be among the greatest finds ever!!!!

i gotta agree with vargha on this though
    Good for you.
  • Options
    what i dont understand is for a card with less then 100 known i have seen almost 500 of these on ebay in the past 6 months what gives?
    Good for you.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Okay guys - here's a scenerio. Homer, who just got a computer, doesn't know dick about anything, stumbles onto this auction. He's heard somewhere that this card is valuable, doesn't really know what it's worth, thinks $100 is an awful lot of money for a piece of cardboard, but he sure would like to surprise his crippled bed-ridden wife with something that may help pay the hospital bills. Outlandish? Sure. Stretching credibility? Perhaps. Possible? Most definitely. Greedy? I don't think so. And a damn shame because this poor guy is out some dough that he obviously needs. A fool and his money may soon be parted, but it's a pretty callous stance to say he deserves it.

Edited to add: I did a little searching of T206 Wagners on eBay. Check out this link - this is a dedicated ebay buyer of Wagner repros! Just goes to show you never know what the heck is going on out there. Millions of people are viewing ebay everyday and bidders are not always informed bidders. Greed can be a motivating factor, but it's quite a leap to assume that's what's driving a bid.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options

<< <i> I did a little searching of T206 Wagners on eBay. Check out this link - this is a dedicated ebay buyer of Wagner repros! Just goes to show you never know what the heck is going on out there. Millions of people are viewing ebay everyday and bidders are not always informed bidders. Greed can be a motivating factor, but it's quite a leap to assume that's what's driving a bid. >>

It's a very strange bidding pattern. All but one of the cards are clearly noted "Reprint" in the listing and sold for nominal $$. The other card is one of those "found in an old house" stories, but with the "selling as a reprint since it is not graded" note at the end. Idiot "won" it for $335 image
  • Options
    actually the wagner buyer has been buying completely different variatants (wagner estate, Mastro, common reprint, etc)...maybe he's collecting wagner reprint variants.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭

<< <i>The other card is one of those "found in an old house" stories, but with the "selling as a reprint since it is not graded" note at the end. Idiot "won" it for $335 >>

Maybe he started out as a victim, then after his initial image he started to image about victimizing others.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The other card is one of those "found in an old house" stories, but with the "selling as a reprint since it is not graded" note at the end. Idiot "won" it for $335 >>

Maybe he started out as a victim, then after his initial image he started to image about victimizing others. >>

wouldnt doubt that he prolly seen how much money he could make and thought hed try it to. Watch him try to resell the card with the same ebay id and someone looks at his wins and all are reprint cards he will last 2 hours before being booted. sometime tomarrow this auction should be over i contacted ebay this morning about this guy. hopefully it was soon enough to save these people some money on worthless junk
  • Options
    Text

this is his newest auction, low and behold he ended the wagner auction early "error in listing" i wonder if it has anything to do with my email to him haha.