Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Where can I get Dansco albums for ...

... Australia - Type Set

New Zealand - Type Set

UK / Great Britan - Type Set

... that are similar to the Dansco U.S. or Canada Type Set albums? I have searched all messages here, searched on Google and on eBay and can't find any. Thanks to Aethelred, I have the Canadian Type Set Albums image

Thanks for your help image

My OmniCoin Collection
My BankNoteBank Collection
Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.

Comments

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is an out of print Whitman Album for Victorian (UK) silver coins, but I don't think albums were made for any of the others.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • I keep reminding myself that I have to order a custom made Dansco album for my post WW2 Greek coins, I even have the pricelist, I just have to measure the coins and order it. As ajaan pointed out, only British out of print type set albums exist by Whitman.
    Dimitri

DPOTD-1
  • shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    I bought the New Zealand type set album from Coulport (complete with coins) and found the Australian album at a coin store. They're not easy to find.

I'm looking for the Fiji, Japan, and Hong Kong type set albums, also.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>New Zealand type set album ... Australian album ... They're not easy to find. >>

So, they are (or were) made !!! This is encouraging image

My OmniCoin Collection
  • I am sure they are not standard off the shelf items for Dansco.
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3
  • dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Dansco did make several foreign type albums in the Supreme series but as mentioned before, they are kind of hard to find. Here are the album numbers that may help you in your search.

Canada has been mentioned here before.
    Mexico type from 1905 #7220
    Guatemala type from 1915 #7230
    Nicaragua type from 1878 # 7235
    Cuba type from 1915 #7240
    Rep of Panama #7451 and type from 1904#7452
    Australia type from 1911 #7337
    Fiji from 1934 #7350
    New Guinea 1929-1945 #7360
    New Zealand type from 1933 #7447
    Hong Kong type from 1843 #7450
    Japan type from 1870 #7460
    Swiss Conferderation type from 1850 #7500
    Israel type from 1948 #7600
    Israel from 1948-1957?can't read to date #7601
    Besides the "type" albums, they also made foreign albums for certain denominations like Mexico one peso, Australia half penny, Ireland florin, etc...

Doug
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭
    UK Type Set albums (all by Whitman)

9516 - Minor 1902-Date
    9517 - Silver 1902-Date
    9520 - Victoria 1837-1901

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
    Thank you all very much for the information.

I do appreciate your efforts image

My OmniCoin Collection
  • DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭✭
    I second Wybrit's recommendation of Chief Coin & Supply!!image
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used the Dansco #7371, 7372, and 7373 albums for my complete set of Irish coins. That was cool, because it was not only a complete type set, but a complete date set, as well! Everything in the predecimal coinage, from 1928 to 1969, except the 1943 florin, which had a cardboard "plug" in the hole, since it's so rare (25-35 known).

Unfortunately, the pickin's are pretty slim in world type set albums. As Don mentioned, there was a Whitman Classic album for the Victorian British type set (not just silver, but everything, including the Gothic Crown), but that one's been outta print since the early 1960's, I believe. They do surface from time to time.

Dansco does have a Fiji album, #7350, which I believe is a type set (it's six pages and covers 1934-1969, presumably all the predecimal issues). I have no clue what made them choose Fiji when they don't offer a single album for from Great Britain, but the Fijian album does sound interesting.

This is as complete a listing of the Darkside Danscos as I've been able to find anywhere.

I see Doug's list has some interesting titles I'd never heard of. Where'd you find those numbers, Doug? I'd love to find some of those, particularly the Swiss Confederation type album!

I'm baffled at how it seems nobody has made albums for the Philippine-American coinage.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    Oh- Capital Plastics used to make a nice Canadian type set frame, I guess it was back in the 1960's. Sadly, it appears they no longer do, but that British sovereign type set frame they have looks interesting.

I had the good fortune to find that Canadian type set frame in Mary Sellers' Asheville, NC coin shop some years ago- it was still in the original shrink wrap, and typical to Mrs. Sellers, she hadn't changed the pricetag that had been on there for thirty years or so- I think I paid two bucks for that frame! Nowadays, they seem to want over fifty bucks for frames that size.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    I found a Dansco Australia Type Set Album (2 volumes) on the 'net at a shop in Australia, but the guy won't ship it to the U.S. image

But I'm still workin' on him ... image

Thanks for the additional information and referrals image

My OmniCoin Collection
  • shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    I'm baffled at how it seems nobody has made albums for the Philippine-American coinage.

Whitman album 9526 has Philippine type coins from Spanish times through 1961, including US Territorial and Commonwealth issues.
    Obscurum per obscurius
    Aha.

• BBQnBLUESBBQnBLUES Posts: 1,803

<< <i>I bought the New Zealand type set album from Coulport (complete with coins) and found the Australian album at a coin store. They're not easy to find.

I'm looking for the Fiji, Japan, and Hong Kong type set albums, also. >>

I realize this is an OLD Thread.. but just stumbled across a Dansco Hong Kong Type album on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Old-Unused-Dansco-Hong-Kong-Type-Coins-Album_W0QQitemZ160123950087QQihZ006QQcategoryZ39475QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Now if ONLY I could find a Cuba Type Dansco ;(
  • MalkiMalki Posts: 9

Dear ALL, I have a Fijian and New Guinea Dansco album in mint condition i.e. never been used prior if some one keen to buy, I am based in Melb. Thanking you
    malki

@lordmarcovan said:
    I used the Dansco #7371, 7372, and 7373 albums for my complete set of Irish coins. That was cool, because it was not only a complete type set, but a complete date set, as well! Everything in the predecimal coinage, from 1928 to 1969, except the 1943 florin, which had a cardboard "plug" in the hole, since it's so rare (25-35 known).

Unfortunately, the pickin's are pretty slim in world type set albums. As Don mentioned, there was a Whitman Classic album for the Victorian British type set (not just silver, but everything, including the Gothic Crown), but that one's been outta print since the early 1960's, I believe. They do surface from time to time.

Dansco does have a Fiji album, #7350, which I believe is a type set (it's six pages and covers 1934-1969, presumably all the predecimal issues). I have no clue what made them choose Fiji when they don't offer a single album for from Great Britain, but the Fijian album does sound interesting.

This is as complete a listing of the Darkside Danscos as I've been able to find anywhere.

I see Doug's list has some interesting titles I'd never heard of. Where'd you find those numbers, Doug? I'd love to find some of those, particularly the Swiss Confederation type album!

Sir, are you still after a Fijian Dansco album i.e. I have one in mint condition, thanking you

Sir, are you still after a Fijian Dansco album i.e. I have one in mint condition, thanking you

Wow! A post I made 15 years ago!

Thanks, I'm not really after a Fiji album. Was only mentioning back then that it was an interesting choice for them to manufacture one.

• Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could get an empty Dansco with no pages and make your own pages.