Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Do You Have a Favorite Player....

In another thread there was a plea for Bake McBride cards and Helio presented his reason why he liked this player. This got me thinking about players I like that would not get 'star' attention but that are definitely better than average career players. Here’s someone that I think may have flown under the radar screen for 15 seasons and a favorite of mine since he played a lot of his career with the Dodgers. I’m not saying he belongs in the HOF or anything – just a little comparison with his team-mate Steve Garvey.

Garvey Guerrero
BA 294 300
HRs 272 215
OBP 329 370
SLG 446 480
Fld% 994 977

Garvey has way more accolades, awards, etc. but if you were not a Dodger fan and don't know of Pedro's career, would you believe he had these kind of stats and a lifetime 300 hitter to boot.

Anyone else have a player they would like to share that should not be forgotten?
your friend
Mike
Mike

Comments

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's not really a favorite, but I think he fits the "should not be forgotten" category.

The best five starting pitchers (IMO) in the NL from 1963 through 1966:

1. Sandy Koufax (97-27, 1.86 ERA, 1228 K's, 31 shutouts)
    2. Juan Marichal (93-35, 2.31, 916, 23)
    3. The Forgotten Man (74-34, 2.70, 939, 18)
    4. Bob Gibson (78-45, 2.97, 944, 15)
    5. Don Drysdale (73-61, 2.73, 875, 18)

Of course, the time frame was selected to make this guy look good - and I'm not saying he belongs with this group over his whole career - but how many players can you place in company like that, even for only four years, that nobody's ever heard of (nobody under 40 anyway)? The Forgotten Man is Jim Maloney of the Reds; if you shift the time frame a little you can make similar comparisons with his forgotten Pittsburgh counterpart Bob Veale.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I don't have the numbers in front of me, a few guys that I casually collect that are long forgotten are:

Al Oliver
    Jose Cruz Sr.
    J.R. Richard
    Greg Luzinski
    Tim Raines Sr.

I have to say that I loved the discussion of Bake McBride on the other thread, I was also a big fan of him and Garry Maddox.

Abe
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one non-star player (other than San Diego players) that I collect is Terry Forster. He and I went to the same high school (he graduated in 1970 and I in 1980), and I knew his twin brother Larry, who was a teacher at the school. Another player that went to my high school is Jim Tatum, who played for the Brewers, Rockies and Padres.

Steve
  • Options
    As far as my favorite under appreciated player...it is Ron Guidry, pitcher, New York Yankees. "Louisiana Lightning" was overlooked in the Yankee farm system for a number of years, and did not make it to the majors until 25 years of age (even then, appearing in only 17 games - 16 in relief - in his first 2 seasons). If you hit on websites that provide comparisons, the HOF'er that comes up with the most identical comparison to Guidry is Sandy Koufax. Both of these guys were dominant in their prime....Koufax was just more ungodly in a shorter time span within his career.

Without a plethora of details, here's a few topline comparisons:

Guidry - 14 Years..170 Wins, 91 Losses, .651 Win%
    Koufax - 12 Years..165 Wins, 87 Losses, .655 Win%

Guidry - 1 Cy Young, 5 Gold Gloves, 2 AL ERA , 2 AL Wins
    Koufax - 3 Cy Young, 5 NL ERA, 3 NL Wins, 1 MVP

He's not Koufax in his 5 years of dominance, but IMO under appreciated none the less. Regards.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Dwight Evans, always a rock defensively for the Red Sox and after struggling early on in his career became a pretty good hitter too. Pedro Guerrero was a feared hitter when in his prime. Did he have a short career? I lost track of him.

Jim Maloney was one of my favorite pitchers when I was a kid and I always liked the '66 card of him.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As far as my favorite under appreciated player...it is Ron Guidry, pitcher, New York Yankees. "Louisiana Lightning" >>

Harry
    Great post and analysis! I'm with you - as a yankee fan in the late 70's, Guidry was a great pitcher who packed a lot of power into a very small frame - kind of like Pedro. Definitely overlooked as a player. And, signed this 3x5 for free! Thanx.

Magellan
    Pedro played for 15 seasons; 11 with the Dodgers and then St. Louis I believe

Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Ray Sadecki because my first glove was a ray sadecki model; bobby hull because i got his autograph ; vida blue because my dad would not get his autograph (he was holding out) ; and harry hooper because he is mentioned in a boomtown rats song
  • Options
    Pedro was a great player!

As a sidenote, he claims to be one of the stupidest players in MLB history.
  • Options
    Stone - nice pic. I don't have an auto of The Gator, but wish I did. You mention Pedro - he also shows up comparatively vs Guidry and Koufax. You astutely refer to his size (frame). Folks think Koufax was not a big guy, but his playing stats are generally listed at 6' 2" and 210 pounds. I have met him in person, and think that is overstated by a touch, but Guidry was indeed a wisp....listed at 5' 11'' , 162 lbs.
    Regards.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    Reggie Leach

Another Stone authored.. image
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I second the vote for Dwight Evans. He was always my favorite growing up.

On the football side, let me mention Troy Brown. One of my all time favorites and soooo good and underrated. Peter King says that even knowing that he'll never even have a prayer, he'll bring up Troy's name at the Hall of Fame vote just because he was such an excellent player who played both ways for some darn good Patriots team AFTER leading the team in receiving for a couple years. He did have an INT and a TD in the same game in 03 if I recall correctly. Troy was a real pleasure to watch.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Troy Brown played at Marshall where he was a dominate player at a small school. Anyways I have to throw David Justice into the ring as he was my favorite player growing up. The guy was the coolest Brave and he tapped some sweet Halle Berry tail over the years.

Troy Stats from Marshall:
    His career kickoff return average (29.69 yards per return) still stands as an NCAA record, as do his four kickoff returns for touchdowns. He scored a touchdown every eight times he touched the football.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Manny Mota

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    A favorite of mine - Rusty Staub

Played 23 years
    2,716 hits
    292 hr's
    1466 rbi
    3000 Hit CLub signed ball - 8/19 Living Members

Successful Deals: tennesseebanker, jvette,
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i love Leon Durham. image

please pick up the grounder Leon. PLEASE?!?
  • Options
    No secret that Dale Murphy is one of my all time favorites and a childhood idol. How many non-steroid guys won 2 MVP's and aren't in the HOF?

Another one I always liked was Bill Buckner. Of course he is only remembered for one play. Injuries are the only reason he isn't in the HOF. 2715 hits and 8 seasons batting over .300. If he had played SS instead of 1B he would have been a lock.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without a doubt, mine is Vince Coleman. I loved to watch that guy get on base. He terrorized pitchers with his speed. The guy stole over 100 bases each season in his first 3 seasons. That is unheard of these days.

Shane

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Al Oliver had a pretty damn good career.

Oliver's Life time Stats
    18 Seasons
    .303 Avg
    2742 Hits
    219 HR
    1326 Rbi's
    7-Time All-Star
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    Growing up in the 80s and 90s in Chicago, I was always a HUGE fan of Ron Kittle and Robin Ventura.

I loved watching Kitty hit rooftop homers at the old Comiskey Park. Also, never saw a 3rd Baseman as good Robin Ventura. He was Mr. Clutch with his numerous game winning hits, and 18 Grand Slams for a guy who wasn't a real slugger, like the other guys on the All-Time Grand Slam list (Gehrig, Manny, Murray, McCovey). Plus I guess for his beating he took from Nolan Ryan...and the sick ankle injury from slidding into home. How he every played after destroying his ankle is beyond me.

• Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Paul O'Neill

O'Neill's Life time Stats
    17 Seasons
    .288 Avg
    2105 Hits
    281 HR
    1269 RBI's
    5-Time All-Star
    1994 AL Batting Champion w/.359 AVG
    6 World Series Appearances with 5 World Series Rings!
  • Options
    Matt, I was going to mention Paul Oneil too but thought I would save him for you. Another one that could have been a HOF'er if not for injuries.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll second the vote for Robin Ventura. He was my favorite Mets player. He also auto'd a jersey for me as well, great guy.

Who could forget his grand slam in the 1999 NLCS that turned out to be a single?? I got chills just from watching it again.

link
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>Another one I always liked was Bill Buckner. Of course he is only remembered for one play. >>

wow. we are kinderd spirits. image
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    Andy Van Slyke, Bobby Bonilla, Chico Lind, Doug Drabek, Spanky Lavailliere, Jeff King, Jay Bell, Zane Smith, that side-armed closer guy, oh wait, I think I just named a bunch of the Pirates that couldn't make it to the World Series in 1990-92image Definitely NOT Sid Bream image
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    Third vote here for Dwight Evans. I always thought he was overshadowed by Rice and Lynn and undervalued as an outfielder. He was my childhood hero and I got to meet him a few years back, he is everything I had hoped he would be and then some. Does he belong in the Hall? Probably not, but he did deserve more love from the writers when his name came up. I've actually been debating on starting a graded card collection of his.
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    scashaggyscashaggy Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭
    Not baseball but I have a few lesser football players I collect.

Santana Moss - I collect him because I have followed him since High School. Our schools played each other.

Rohan Davey - Not a very good NFL player but he is my best friend's cousin.

NBA

James Jones - Currently on the Miami Heat we graduated HS together in the same class.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    I Don't really have a favorite player. I know some of you might think I would say Steve Young....I just more think he is cool to collect. His stuff is a faction of the cost of say Emmitt or Marino....and PC collecting is cool.

Current favs are football, Adrian Peterson and Tom Brady.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

uuuhhhmmm...my name here is Carew29....my ebay id is carewfan4life.....Nope, nothing is coming to mind right now...image
  • Options

<< <i>Rohan Davey - Not a very good NFL player but he is my best friend's cousin. >>

Another highly touted LSU disappointment. Thanks for the reminder.
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    As a kid, The Big Red Machine players and Lou Whitaker. Currently Joey Votto, Junior, Jay Bruce, and Derek Jeter.
  • Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    george brett and cal ripken jr. was my favorite in my teenage years. then in twentys it was griffey jr. and frank thomas. now it is pujols and wright. my all time are griffey, brett and pujols.
  • Options
    many 70's players,grew up watching the cubs,the big red machine,the A's( the owner charlie finley lived in my home town).thats why I collect 72-77 baseball and football ( Walter Payton)
    set needs
    03/04 & 05/06 topps black
    72-77 topps baseball raw
    72-75 topps football raw
    any years santo,williams,banks,
    payton,butkus,sayers,piccalo,ditka,hampton
    wantlist

good transactions katscards,swartz1,packman,Salinas
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Ron Francis. He was/is the man.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    I think it is well known that I am a Phil Garner fan. I also likes Sean Casey mostly because I remember him as a high school player in Pittsburgh.
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

<< <i>[L=Reggie Leach] >>

And props for having an avatar of Leach in a SEALS uniform!