Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

1942-S Walker in MS-67

I've just been advised that the only 1942-S Walker in MS-67 is for sale. A client of Barry Stuppler's wants him to sell it on ebay starting at $100,000. If interested, contact Barry.

Steve

Comments

• Options
    Wow. I wonder what the newest coin to ever sell for over 100K is. If an error or variety, what is the newest regular issue coin to ever sell for over 100K? Certainly 27-s quarters. 32-d quarter? 34-s Peace? Will this 42-s Walker be it?
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Under pop of 112 as of Jan 2003. NGC pop of 2 with another 138 in the underpop. Yup - that's a safe one to hold long term! image

• Options
    I saw this coin when it was being auctioned off at Heritage. Nice coin and I believe it opened at $26,000 with no bids!
    Building 33-47 Mint Sets always looking for MS67s PM with any coins you might have for sale.

Mike
    idocoins
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "1932-d Wash. went for over 100k several years ago and still is a pop 1 "

Actually Craig - I do not believe the 32(d) achieved the $100k mark. But, it was in the very high $80k as I recall. I could be wrong.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    You're right Mitch. Here's the Heritage auction:

Heritage 32d Auction

Craig, although it's only been 3 years since it last sold I'd be willing to bet a couple bidders with money to burn would bring the price of this beauty well over the $100,000 mark should it come up for auction today. Will another 66 or 67 ever be made?

• Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    Wow! Nice quarter!

ms66 28-s peace dollar is pop 1, right? Any records of a sale of that? FH 27-s quarters have sold for over 100K, right?
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    I just looked at the Nevadaman acquisitions thread and may have got my answer!

Leothelyon's signature says "the guy with the $125,000 53-s nickel".

But wait... I thought the Nevadaman 60-d was a record for a Jeff nickel?
  • Options
    khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    First off I wouldn't pay $100K for a 42S walker in 67.

Next, who would try to sell a 100K coin on ebay? C'mon now.

-KHayse
  • Options
    "Next, who would try to sell a 100K coin on ebay? C'mon now."

-KHayse

I certainly wouldn't try to sell a coin like that for 100K on ebay. However, here is the email I received regarding the proposed. Maybe it's a fraud. Who knows.

Steve

I’ve received an 1942-S Walker graded MS67

by PCGS from a client. As you know it’s the

only one graded MS67 and none higher by

PCGS. The client wants me to list it on eBay

with a $100,000 starting price.

Do you have an interest?

Barry Stuppler

eBay I.D. VERYPQ

Member:

ANA, ICTA, PNG & CCBMA
  • Options
    Well it certainly is no fraud, it is a spectacular coin that originally sold several years ago and has resurfaced this time. It will make a terrific coin in a world class set, but not at the price asked. The guy is tossing it out for asks, and probably isn't even thinking it will be sold, but who knows, some people have more dollars than cents.image
    Dick
  • Options
    WalkerGuy,

I totally agree. I'm sure it's a great coin.

But for $100K why wouldn't you go get a real rarity like a 1919-D or 1921-S?

-KHayse
  • Options
    With 209 1942-S's in 66, maybe the owner of the lone 67 realizes that it is just a matter of time before another 67 gets graded. Perhaps that is why he is trying to sell at present. Just a thought.

Steve
  • Options

<< <i>Well it certainly is no fraud, it is a spectacular coin that originally sold several years ago and has resurfaced this time. It will make a terrific coin in a world class set, but not at the price asked. The guy is tossing it out for asks, and probably isn't even thinking it will be sold, but who knows, some people have more dollars than cents.image
    Dick >>