Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Anyone else tired of crazy questions when selling on Ebay?

The hits just keep on coming. I can't understand for the life of me why people send in crazy requests to sellers when tey are trying to buy an item. I have a Lebron James SPx rookie on Ebay that I just pulled from a pack recently up for sale, and I get an offer of a Wade, Carmelo, and $50 in return. The price of the Lebron is $800 BV and the Carmelo and the Wade are $500 combined, and the $50 difference is supposed to mean what? Sorry to rant but the reason people usually put cards on there is so they can SELL them.

On this same listing I have had a bidder twice place bids and retract them on different dates stating that they entered the wrong price. IMO this is a bunch of hooey and they are just trying to figure out what the reserve is on the card. They also had only a "1" feedback so I have contacted them and let them know they need to follow the auction listing and contact me to bid on the lot. Would anyone have done anything differently?
"Why is it that Superman could stop a bullet with his chest, yet he ducked when somebody threw a chair at him?"
"
" Go ahead and get your fancy barely visible cell phones that get the internet, play DVD's, and can speak 5 languages. As for me and my Atari cell phone it works, it weighs 7 pounds, it is 14 inches long, and it looks like I could call in an airstrike from a remote desert it is so large!"

Comments

• EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    The trade offer questions usually bother me the most.
    Ebay is an auction style site; not a trade site.
    Unless......"I'll trade you my stuff for money".
    To top it off; they always try to offer ridiculous trades
    to get your decent/good stuff for their garbage.
    Never a double book offer, or something even worth considering.
    Then you have to reply to their lame email(s) and try to be considerate
    and nice as you pass on their offers. I got chewed on earlier for a similar
    post because my language or tone may have offended people on this board;
    but I think the final assessment I've made with emails pertaining to my auctions....
    if it's a completely lame question; a trade offer; I simply will not reply.
    Pretty soon, everyone will have to list "no trades" in their item description which would be a joke.

• milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭
    You got a LEBRON!!!! I have been wanting one of those. Would you take a 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan rookie reprint card foil stamped #4? It is the rare two stamped variety of the word reprint. It is extremely RARE and I will also include Jordans 1991 Fleer card PLUS $28.32. WOW What a deal...you can't pass this up.

Only kidding of coarse. Yaeh I know what you mean by the lame offers. Ebay is selling site which I pay for in fees and not a trade site for someone elses garbage. I NEVER respond to any offers as it is not worth my time and effort. If someone really wants my card, than bid on it.

Goog Luck,

Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭
    Sorry....Should have been Good Luck.

Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • I am looking for the #3 re-print and only if it is co-signed by Babe Ruth and Lo Gehrig along with Jordanimage

I agree Eagle Eye that this deal with people offering trades is getting out of hand, and next time I am using your line of trading for money! It is always only when you put really good items on there, and then the stuff that is offered is pure junk. I had an offer last month for a Darryl Strawberry jersey card and some others just like it for a Joe Mauer Bowman Chrome Auto BGS 8.5. Yeah I will do the deal as long as you throw in some 1988 Topps commons and a Biff Pocoroba rookie.

I just received another e-mail back from another possible bidder wondering if they could have 14 days or more to pay because their account is suspended, and in my auction it does not state how long they have to pay. I think no is a safe answer in this case.
    "Why is it that Superman could stop a bullet with his chest, yet he ducked when somebody threw a chair at him?"
    "
    " Go ahead and get your fancy barely visible cell phones that get the internet, play DVD's, and can speak 5 languages. As for me and my Atari cell phone it works, it weighs 7 pounds, it is 14 inches long, and it looks like I could call in an airstrike from a remote desert it is so large!"
  • jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    I've only sold a little, so maybe I don't understand the gravity of the problem, but I've received those trade emails and I just ignore them. They are obviously NOT from legitimate, potential buyers, so no reply is necessary. They are from people trying to rip you off. Why even give them the time of day by replying?
  • I've never received trade offers before...

I did receive a strange message from a fellow that sent me a list of cards that I assumed he had. I was curious how it pertained to the card I was selling, and eventually I figure it out that he wanted to sell these cards and for some reason thought I'd be interested...

I just said that if he wanted to sell them then list them on Ebay.... you know like I was doing...
    Collector of T201 Mecca double folders. Graded and Raw...
  • GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    When guys like this trip your trigger, add them to yor blocked bidder listing, that will usually give them the message
    Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • Blocking the bidders would seem to be the best way to handle this, and maybe on future listings I will put in the description please no moronic trade offers.
    "
  • jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    Is a blocked bidder also barred from sending the seller a question?
  • I would not think so and I would not block someone from bidding just because they asked to trade. If someone (such as what happened in my case) e-mails me and says they are going to have trouble paying because Ebay suspended them, or they have already retracted two bids for the same amount on differnent nights than I am going to not have them bid. If they can't pay or they are seemingly being dishonest I don't think I need to do business with them.
    "
  • jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Today I got an offer of a 1994 Upper Deck A-Rod auto for my 1953B #33 Pee Wee Reese (the famous one) in PSA 6. Aside from the sheer silliness of the offer, he claimed his ungraded card was mint and worth $400. Pee Wee books at $535, never mind the fact that his raw A-Rod could be trimmed.

Months ago I had a 51B Mantle on eBay, PSA 8 (oc). Somebody offered me an 86F Jordan PSA 10. I know next to nothing about hoops cards, but a friend told me it was really the Fleer sticker, not the $6000 Fleer card.

Some of these offers are sincere, no doubt, but sometimes I get the impression that these young eBay entrepreneurs are cruising for suckers and it unsettles me that they chose me!
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    i hate people that say "i refuse to buy your item if you're gonna charge $2.95 shipping".. in the meantime, i check and they're HIGH BIDDER on my auction!.. what are they just ASSUMING i'll cut them a deal on shipping since they sent such a nice email?..
    ·p_A·
  • EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    Some of these offers are sincere, no doubt, but sometimes I get the impression that these young eBay entrepreneurs are cruising for suckers and it unsettles me that they chose me!

Even if the offer was great....double book, or something that you could use in your favor....they would have to send the trade item first. It's like payment IMO. There's no way I would send anything out first if they're trying for a scam.