Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Greatest Modern Insert Set of All Time??

This has to be it:

Greatest??

-Kevin

Comments

• Options
    in no particular order-

'93 Refractors
    '97 Flair Masterpiece (first 1/1's)
    '96 UD Jersey
    UD 500 HR Club Bats
  • Options
    1993 Topps Finest with the first refractor card...that green card....now that was a great modern card.
  • Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    I think parallel and insert are two different things.

Greatest parallel has to be 93 Finest refractors.

Greatest insert is a tuffy.

I personally believe that the Hot Gloves inserts were nice.
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

The first year of UD Legendary Cuts.
  • Options
    1998 Bowman Chrome Golden Anniversary Refractors #/5

1999 Bowman Chrome Gold Refractors #/25
    Joel C
  • Options
    1998 Donruss Crusade
    1994 SP Red Holoview
  • Options
    boggs301012boggs301012 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭
    1993 Finest by far. My favorite and you dont see them listed often 2000 stadium club game view numbered to 100. I have seen three Boggs on ebay usualy in a run of hundred I will see 80% of them listed.

James
    x
  • Options
    I like the '93 Refractors also. Ultra Platinum Medallion are also pretty cool.

The thing that is such bullsh!t about those 500 HR cards, is that they just have a piece of bat from any average Ken Griffey Jr. game. It even says right on the back. It doesn't say that it is from the bat he hit his 500th with? That is probably in Cooperstown by now.

So basically, other than the cool theme, you are buying a autographed, game used Ken Griffey Jr. insert. They can be had for a lot less than what that one is going for without the words "500 HR" on them. I know there is only 25 in this case, but it's still not that great.

TheRoach

7 MVP awards, the single season HR record, career walks record, single season walks record, 700HR/500SB, and two batting titles near 40 years old. How can one argue that those aren't stats of the greatest to ever play the game??? All this and there is still more to come!!!! Bonds:2005 NL MVP. Or are you going to doubt him again?
  • Options
    I like the 93 Refractors and the 1998 Leaf Rookie and Stars (Red, Purple, and Green) Crusade cards.

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    Ebay UserId: sjeanblanc
    ----------------------------------------
    Collecting improvements to my Nolan Ryan Basic set

• Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    yeah there has been some confusion over the Griffey bat card, people were under the impression that
    the bat chunch WAS from the 500 home run at bat, but now that they have seen the back of the card
    there is no mention of that. Perhaps UD came out and said it would be made with the 500 home run bat..IM
    not sure.

Kevin
  • Options
    what about 1986 fleer all-stars? those were some of the first "chase" cards that I remember. The Cal Ripken from that set is certainly a classic.
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    A large focus of my colelction used to be insert sets that I found aesthetically pleasing. It's hard to pick a favorite, but 94 SP Holoview Reds are up there. Others I like are:
    1993 SP inserts, Platinum Power in baseball, Silver Skates in Hockey, and All-Pros in football.
    1996 Leaf (Limited?) Pennant Chase (with the banner-shaped die-cut felt banners)
    1993 Select Stars, Aces, and Rookies (loved the Dufex)
    1995 Leaf Statistical Standouts (the original textured-leather surface cards)
    1997 Leaf Statistical Standouts (folding cards shaped like gloves)
    2001 Topps Heritage Chrome parallel. Glad they didn't do a refractor version.
    1994(?) UD SE basketball with the cards die-cut into the shape of basketball keys, distributed regionally. I paid $60 for the Shaq off Teletrade way back when. They made some new ones in a set this year.
    1994 SP Hockey Premium set with the matte white surfaces.
    1994 Score Check-Its. Hockey admits that players hit each other.
    1990-1994 UD Heroes sets that focused on individual players.
    1997 UD Game Jerseys. Let's face it, they were exciting, and the original ones had a great design.

My favorite insert set is actually the 1993-94 UD SP hockey set that came 1-per-pack in UD series 2, IIRC. The NHL had imposed a 2-brand limit per card maker and UD was able to capitalize on the success from baseball and football. The only drawback was that there were no foil RCs like the other sports. Imagine what a foiled-up Alexandre Daigle or Jocelyn Thibault would've gone for back then, coming out about 1 per case. They also did a Parkhurst Vintage set in a similar way.

UD's 500 HR Club set is a milestone, though, especially since they've been able to continue it with new members. Hopefully Bonds' holdout won't screw it up forever.

Still working on the 94 Red Holoviews and 2001 Heritage Chromes, BTW, if anyone has any.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    I'm leaning toward SP Authentic, especially 2000 Football.. Maybe for personal reasons.. I really like all the SP inserts. I also dig the older league leaders, and all-pro, etc..

Chad
  • Options
    influential sets to consider-

-93 stadium club First Day Production....the first limited parallel sets that fetched incredible premiums
    -92 Topps Gold- first parallel set, too bad the Gold Winners parallel (there was a game contest card in each pack, and you could easily win the contest by holding the cards up to a blacklight and getting the answers) killed the mystique
    early Donruss Elites, numbered to 10000....this was groundbreaking stuff back in 91
    -96 Leaf Signature Autos...first autographed insert set. 'nuff said
    -01 SP Legendary Cuts autos. self explanatory
    -94 SP Red Holoviews
    -90 Pro Set Lombardi Hologram...first super-rare chase card
    -late 90's Stadium Club CO SIGNERS
  • Options
    For football, it has to be the 1999 Donruss Elite Passing the Torch autograph insert set. It really set the auto/insert craze in motion (won insert set of the year from Beckett that year), and has arguably the greatest auto insert card (non-cut) ever to appear in a football product: the dual Payton/Sanders.

edited to add - I think eventually the Topps Ring of Honor auto set will also be considered one of the best all-time insert sets (if Topps doesn't mess it up by skipping a year) ...
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    passing the tourch autos sure was nice. What about finest gold refractors and 95-96 Hot numbers basketball?