Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Who do you listen to?

In the spirit of getting to know each other a bit better, the type of music one listens to is often a barometer of other things you may have in common as well as the era you grew up in. I'm curious what some of my fellow board participants listen to?

dgf

Comments

• Options
    new order, ny dolls, the records, gary myrick, big audio dynamite, stranglers, the clash, the jam
  • Options
    I still love hairbands. I recently had Direct TV installed and I get goose pumps when I listen to channel 6023 which is '80's hair bands. I LOVE Creed and Puddle of Mud. I still dig the hard stuff, Pantera, Slipnot, Godsmack- big favorite. My rule of thumb, it has to have a gutair solo or it's trash!!

Chad
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    Rolling Stones, Beatles, Doors, Foghat, Eagles, Skynnard.....what you may call classic rock nowadays. Too many to list.
  • Options
    EEK.. I forgot the classics.. Led Zep, Doors, Eagles.. Hell I thought that was a rule. If you don't like the classic stuff- you have to listen to cheesy boy bands. Also, I have to add Eminem. I wouldn't let my children listen to it, but he's a talanted boy..

Chad
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    Here is a list of my favorite bands:

Phish, Ween, Pavement, The Pixies, The Clash, Bad Religion, Sonic Youth, Velvet Underground, Guided By Voices, PULP, Vida Blue.

John
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭
    I am a country man. I listen to Lonestar, Brooks and Dunn, Shaina, and Martina McBride. My car radio never leaves 92.5 WXTU Country........Except when the Flyers, Phillies or Eagles are on.
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    Howard stern in the morning and NPR in the afternoon.

Music wise, mostly classic rock (stones, beatles, doors) when im by myself and when there are people in the car top 40 or whatever
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Lots of local political talk radio (Howie Carr, Jay Severin)... but for tunes, I'm all over the place! I love Peter Gabriel, Garbage, Green Day, Morrissey, Colin Hay, Pink Floyd, Madness, Beatles, Frank Sinatra, Robert Palmer, Rancid, and Offspring!
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Currently in heavy ipod rotation are Oneida, Minus the Bear, Big Black/Shellac, Department of Eagles, Edith Frost, Boss Hog, Melvins, Princess Superstar, Holly Golightly, Sparta, Interpol, Erykah Badu, Le Tigre, Sleater-Kinney, all those emo bands like Modest Mouse, Pinback, Postal Service, Death Cab, and Pretty Girls Make Graves. I've got about every Jimi Hendrix recording you can find. I've also been discovering Golden Earring. Aside from "Radar Love" and "Twilight Zone," they've got like 30 albums and some really wonderful stuff. "Vanilla Queen" is my favorite song so far this year and it's 30 years old. It's worth a buck from iTunes. The arrangement of "Clair De Lune" from the Ocean's 11 soundtrack is something I have to hear every day.

A friend of mine just came into town with 200 CDs his father, a gigantic record collector, burned for him. They are all unlabeled, all various random stuff. This will be a tremendous treasure hunt.

BTW, if anyone has Boss Hog All-Stars (the first record with the naked Christina cover) or Girl+ on CD, I will buy, or at least burn.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    I'm w/ Chad mostly.... a transplanted Northerner in the South... refuse to listed to country music. I'm more of the hard rock or heavier persuation. Slipknot, Nine Inch Nails, Mudvane, and Mushroomhead are currently in my CD player...tho I do own and listen to a lot of things, from those to Eminem to Garbage (love Shirley Manson!) to Don Henley to Public Enemy, Bethoven, and the Cure. basically anything except country I'd listen to, but like the heavy stuff best. I really like Korn, Helmet, and Quicksand as well.
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Tough call, but I guess my top 10 (not necessarily in order) would be the Beatles, Phish, Miles Davis, Blur, the Chemical Brothers, the Orb, the Smiths/Morrissey, the Disco Biscuits, the Wu-Tang Clan (and many of the Wu solo joints) and Stereolab.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    thumbs up on golden earring -- especially their live albums ... er CDs .. throw in cramps, boomtown rats, skunks (austin),
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    i listen to such a wide variety of stuff, you would think i was strange when you looked in my CD books.. if it sounds good, i listen to it.. everything from Amazing Grace to Afro-Man to Waylon Jennings.. from Van Halen to the Ghetto Boyz to Bocephus to Blues Traveler..

yawie - I have some Miles Davis also.. Kind of Blue..

lately its been MOFRO (check them out).. and several Ryan Adams CD's.. one of the best songwriters out there..

i should post a list of my 1200+ cd's.. =)
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭

<< <i>I still love hairbands. I recently had Direct TV installed and I get goose pumps when I listen to channel 6023 which is '80's hair bands. >>

DirecTV has a channel 6023? I thought the channels only went from 1-999, with the music channels in the 800's. What have I been missing all this time?
  • Options
    AknotAknot Posts: 1,196 ✭✭
    I listen to my Wife.
  • Options
    You know what, we have Dish Network. I don't even know what I have!! They call it SIRUS?.. The reason I didn't go with Direct TV is no local channels yet.. Sorry!!!!!!

Chad
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    Oh, you have DISH NETWORK, not DirecTV!

Dish Network's music channels are feeds from the Sirius Satellite service. I sub to Sirius so I know that hair band channel quite well. But I'm a Buzzsaw (heavy rock/metal) channel 19 person myself.
  • Options
    Iggy Pop, Early Bowie, Joy Division, New Order, Lou Reed, English Beat, Echo and the Bunnymen, Heaven 17 (For dance), The Clash, Fleshtones, The Specials, The Jam, Style Council, Sisters of Mercy, Nick Cave.

The only newer band I listen to is Radiohead.

Guess I'm locked back in my youth for music.

S.
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like many others I listen to a very wide range of music. At the moment my most-listented to are Johnny Cash, Stevie Wonder (early 70's), early Billy Joel and Skynnard.

Abe
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jerry Vale, Wayne Newton, Tom Jones and of course my all time favorite...Beer Barrel Polka!

After a sixer I like the top 30z on the radio.

Stone

Mike
  • Options
    SCUMBI and I must be close to the same age. SCUMBI: Do you watch VH1's Bands Reunited. In its second go-round, "Bands Reunited" will attempt to track down the lost members of New Kids on the Block (yawn), the English Beat (coolio), the Motels (su-weet), ABC (sweeter) and Haircut 100 (very cool).

Coldplay
    Radiohead
    Keane
    Travis
    The Church
    Lloyd Cole and the Commotions
    R.E.M.
    Talk Talk
    P-Furs
    Flock of Seagulls
    Depeche Mode
    The Ocean Blue
    Midnight Oil
    The Smiths
    Simple Minds
    Echo and the Bunnymen
    U2
    Police and Sting
    The Cure
    Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Toad the Wet Sprocket

everywhere you go
    there you are

marc in Hawaii
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Mostly 80's, Classic Rock and Christian Contemporary Rock (Tree 63, Newsboys . . .)
  • Options
    Small sampling of my CD collection...

All things British:
    Happy Mondays (source of my username)
    Stone Roses
    Depeche Mode
    New Order/Joy Division
    Blur
    Supergrass
    Radiohead
    Oasis (first 2 albums only)
    Pulp
    Manic Street Preachers
    OMD
    The La's
    The Verve
    Pet Shop Boys
    Erasure/Yazoo
    Travis
    Coldplay
    The Cure
    The Smiths/Morrissey
    The Police
    Sisters of Mercy
    Howard Jones

Industrial:
    Nine Inch Nails
    KMFDM
    My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult
    Front 242
    Ministry

Electronic:
    Kraftwerk
    Underworld
    Orbital
    Chemical Brothers
    Prodigy
    Daft Punk
    Future Sound Of London
    Basement Jaxx
    Moby
    Autechre
    Aphex Twin
    Boards of Canada
    808 State
    Air

Classic Rock:
    Pink Floyd
    U2
    Peter Gabriel
    The Beatles

Also REM, Smashing Pumpkins,
  • Options
    I'm a little different from you guys. I listen to a lot of different music though but here are my fav's.

KoRn, Deftones, Mudvayne,TOOL, Audioslave, Metallica, NIN, A little bit of Manson.

Oh and the Rome show when i'm at work.

Ben

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My top-five favorites are ZZ Top, Van Halen, Waylon Jennings, AC/DC and Heart. My playlist is huge...Aerosmith, KISS, The Eagles, Fleetwod Mac, Journey, REO Speedwagon, the Beach Boys, the Mamas and the Papas, the Carpenters, Hank Williams Jr, Charlie Daniels, Shania Twain, George Strait, Travis Tritt, etc, etc, etc. Right now, I'm listening to Meatloaf's "Couldn't Have Said it Better" CD.

Basically, I like everything except Rap.

Steve
  • Options
    recently i've been listening to a ton of Local H, Slipknot, Rancid, Authority Zero, old Sepultura, and Rise against
    other stuff-

PUNK-
    bad religion, pennywise, black flag, rancid, good riddance, decendents, 1208, born to lose, and thrice, etc

ROCK/etc-
    skynyrd, animals, pantera, down, superjoint ritual, deftones, foo fighters, sullen, cheap trick, alice in chains, helmet (old, new cd is wretched), clutch, hatebreed, white zombie, springsteen, outkast, tool, deftones, tracy chapman, rage, pearl jam, and a ton of other stuff
  • Options
    I have been hooked for a month on Saves the Day - Through Being Cool CD. Some hard core punk, emo with hooks you don't hear on the first listen. Which makes it fun to discover new stuff each time you listen. Tsuami Bomb first CD hasn't been out of my cd player for two months also.

All time favorite is the first four Aerosmith albums. Before they got too drugged out. All my friends listen to country, but I just could never warm up to it.

Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.
  • Options
    Ween, Funkadelic, Zappa, Beefheart, Eric Burdon, Cake, John Cale, Reed, Bowie, Black Sabbath, Miles Davis, Iggy Pop, Stray Cats, Ohio Players, Grateful Dead, Dead Can Dance, Portishead, Magazine, lvis Costello, John Brown's Body, Butthole Surfers, Black Flag, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Supergrass, Pulp, X, Burt Bacharach, Nick Cave
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    I like just about anything pre-1990 except real heavy metal or rap and hardly anything after 1990. I have at least 1200 CDs and they pretty much cover the spectrum. Some of my favorites are Riders in the Sky, Esquivel, Patsy Cline, Pat Methany, Dave Brubeck, Chris Isaaks, Sinatra, Blood Sweat and Tears, the Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, the Byrds, Springsteen and I could go on and on. I also like to listen to a lot of Various Artists compilations like the Atlantic Records R&B set, Capital Lounge series, and Rhino records puts out some great hard to find stuff from the '60's and '70's and so does Time/Life.
  • Options
    Basilone- can't believe you listen to Bad Religion, they're one of my favorite bands.

Jay- can't believe you listen to Helmet and Quicksand- actually, i can't believe anyone here actually knows who quicksand is
  • Options
    did jay mention Helmet and Quicksand too... I was the only one I recall seeing listing them. image
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    I listen to much of the above, especially the older stuff regardless of type, but there's a few I like that I don't think have been mentioned:

1st 5 Rush albums
    Kool and the Gang
    Black Oak Arkansas
    James Gang
    Uriah Heep
    Grand Funk
    Three Dog Night

BOTR

ps) glad to hear of some Foghat folks!
  • Options

<< <i>did jay mention Helmet and Quicksand too... I was the only one I recall seeing listing them. image >>

whoops, Jay used to have that avatar and i wasn't paying attention.
  • Options
    Very little music. U2, Beatles and that's about it.

On the radio I haven't seen an FM dial for a while.

The Talk Station
  • Options
    No prob GR... and i agree those of us who know who Quicksand are few and far between, might have something to do with them breaking up after 2 albums.
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    This is in the CD player of my T-100 right now:

• Options
    Slip was a great Quicksand album. Lost track of them afterwards...
  • Options
    Quicksand had two CDs... Slip and Manic Compression...both were equally good. I heard that they broke up a few years ago and I've not seen or heard anything since from them.
  • Options
    the members of Quicksand were involved with Rival Schools and CIV (both killer bands) after they broke up
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn, I can't believe I forgot to mention Pink Floyd, Queen and Rush in my previous postimage

I'm listenin' to Pink Floyd's Echos right nowimage

Steve
  • Options
    Deftones, Massive Attack, Orgy, Radiohead, Greenday, Poe, Luscious Jackson, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Dave Matthews Band, The Toadies, Hot Hot Heat, Sublime, Social Distortion, Stereo MC's, Coldplay, Danzig, Garbage, Alice In Chains, Filter, The Verve, Foo Fighters, Clutch, Bloodhound Gang, The Doors, Tool, The Monkees, Better than Ezra, Led Zeppelin, The Cars, Tripping Daisy, Ween, Vast, Bob Marley, Skrape, Jimi Hendrix, Rage Against the Machine, Cold, Silver Chair, Fatboy Slim, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, The Squirrel Nut Zippers, U2, Beastie Boys, Everclear, Flaw, The Cult, Rich Hardesty, Nickel Creek, Del the Funky Homosapien, Chevelle, Ice Cube, SwitchFoot, .....the list goes on and on.
  • Options
    X - what a great band that was never discovered by the masses.!!
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.
  • Options
    Vargha,

Funny you mention Queen as in my DVD player I have their "Live at Wembley Stadium" concert from 1986. Have you seen it?

• Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    Here's what's in the pile next to my CD player:

Massive Attack (3)
    Beth Orton (2)
    Everything But The Girl (2)
    Chemical Brothers
    New Order
    Eels

mjt