Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1981 Topps set builders

I have a GEM MINT set that I sent the Ryan in and it got a PSA 9 NQ and I have a question. The other stars are 8ish and was wondering if any commons from this set were tough. I ONLY looked at cards listed in SMR and the Raines is a 10 if I have ever seen one. So let me know so I can get my submission ready.
Check Out our auctions grandslamcardco on ebay

Comments

• Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    I don't see how it can be a Gem Mint set if "the other stars are 8ish." A Gem Mint set would be very impressive because centering problems are so common, not to mention print smearing and general low-quality production.
  • Options
    I guess the phrase GEM MINT is wrong! PACK FRESH with razor sharp corners and the possiblity of several tens from a MINT set

• Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    Figure the majority of cards will 8 or lower, and be virtually worthless.
    Figure you will get some 9's, which are worth about grading fees depending on player. (+, -).
    Figure you may get just a few 10's if any, which is worth more than grading fees to the right people.

Now just figure if it's worth it or not. If your already saying GEM MINT, then MINT set and psa 8 in the same breath, I'd run like crazy from the slab machine.........

BOTR

• Options

<< <i>Figure the majority of cards will 8 or lower, and be virtually worthless.
    Figure you will get some 9's, which are worth about grading fees depending on player. (+, -).
    Figure you may get just a few 10's if any, which is worth more than grading fees to the right people.

Now just figure if it's worth it or not. If your already saying GEM MINT, then MINT set and psa 8 in the same breath, I'd run like crazy from the slab machine.........

BOTR >>

lets just assume this crazy idea that I can grade raw cards OK and I can decide what to send and not send. All my post requested was there any low pop 81 topps cards?

Wow- This is getting old fast(the asking for info or help and always just getting off base OPINION comments).

if my post did not make it clear before

I can screen my cards just fine all I need is what was ask in the ORIGINAL POST!
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    1981 Topps population report
    I assumed you had access to this as a CU member. Topps stopped printing in series after 1973, so there are no "low pop" cards in the sense of short prints. But as you can see, there is a wide range of scarcity in high-grade cards, because of their position on the sheet (bad centering), the other quality problems I talked about, and relative popularity among collectors. Example: 166 Nolan Ryans in PSA 9, but only 6 Johnny Bench. Harder to tell about 1981 commons, because few people spend $8 to grade a card worth $1 or less.

BTW, my statement on the difficulty of gem mint 1981 Topps isn't an off-base opinion, it's a known fact. As the pop. report shows.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>lets just assume this crazy idea that I can grade raw cards OK and I can decide what to send and not send. All my post requested was there any low pop 81 topps cards?
    >>

Honestly - we're trying to be helpful, not opinionated and mean. FWIW - I will happilly pay $50 each for any Phillies cards in PSA 10 you can help me out with - my team set is under the Registry under Phillies Phan. All this being said - the expert on 1981 Topps is a guy on these boards called gator or gator05 - I forget which. He has literally gone through approximately 100,000+ 1981 Topps baseball cards. I trust him and his grading eye. I promise you that it is not as easy as you think - and I implore you to talk to him before you waste your money and end up with a bunch of worthless 8s

P.S. if you are going to grade out a significant number of 1981 Topps - it is worth the $5/month or whatever to get access to the Population report.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    I'd be interested in #'s 206, 405, 584, and 691 if they grade out 9 or better. I'd be willing to
    buy raw if they look like they will grade that high! Send a pm if you are wanting to sell.

aconte
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>lets just assume this crazy idea that I can grade raw cards OK and I can decide what to send and not send. >>

EVERYBODY on these boards can do this.............and still end up with a ton-o-8's. If you can't take a little constructive commenting, then have at it. Wait for the $5 special and let 'em rip!

<< <i>All this being said - the expert on 1981 Topps is a guy on these boards called gator or gator05 - I forget which. He has literally gone through approximately 100,000+ 1981 Topps baseball cards. I trust him and his grading eye. I promise you that it is not as easy as you think - and I implore you to talk to him before you waste your money and end up with a bunch of worthless 8s >>

Read this over and over till it sinks in. No truer words have been spoken on 81's.

Cheers Bro,
    BOTR
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Low pop commons on this set is meaningless, because not that many have been submitted.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Nothing like an '81 thread to bring out the Phillies team set collectors image

I'd be interested in #160, #317, and #526 if they look 9 worthy ...
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Good for you.