Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Who says 75 8s are dead?

Of course, I'm talking mostly about the cards I still need for my set, but it looks like there is another spike in pricing in the tougher and/or more desirable cards either for team, player, or set collectors. A Reggie Cleveland (Bosox pitcher, doesn't come up on ebay very often) closes at $26.50. Bobby Bonds (showing him as a Yankee, also not very frequent) goes for $14.50 in 2 different auctions. The 1957 MVP card with Mantle & Aaron sells last week for $38! This card has been trending upwards lately, but this is a new peak, AFAIK. One closed bidless for $24 last night, though, so who knows. $22 for a Jose Cruz. A run of Big Red Machine cards brought some new high prices, like $26 for George Foster (a fairly tough card in ebay terms), $15.50 for Clay Carroll, $18.50 for Fred Norman, $46(!) for Ken Griffey, and $33 and $41 for Reds team cards. Jeff Burroughs $14.50, I paid $6.64 with shipping 3 months ago. Sure, most of the cards still go in the $5-$8 range, and this is likely only temporary as the competition gets broken down to one person, but it looks like the second big wave of completists plus a couple Cincy collectors, are bringing some new dollars to this arena.
WANTED:
2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay

Comments

• Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    I sure can't find the '75 Reds Team card PSA 8 for SMR $18. I missed out on the $41 one you mentioned, and another went for $33 last night. I may have to find one raw.

Of course 1975 is the year most closely identified with the Big Red Machine because of the legendary series with the Red Sox. In '76 they took the Yankees in 4, but collectors don't seem impressed. I bought the '76 Reds Team card in PSA 9 for $15, half of SMR's listed value for a common. 1975 is just one of those special years for BRM collectors!
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I feel like a dope! I had that Reds Team card in PSA 8 and I sold it to one of the board guys back in March for $12!

• Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭

<< <i>I feel like a dope! I had that Reds Team card in PSA 8 and I sold it to one of the board guys back in March for $12! >>

Con, if you have another one I'll give ya $13.

Seriously, '75's were pretty dead earlier this year. I was able to get a '75 mini Brett rookie PSA 8 for $110 ($SMR $220) and Bench PSA 9 for $160 (SMR $250). Some weeks I would see 3 or 4 Bench #260's in PSA 8 on eBay with little action. Now '75 Reds are getting snapped up for above SMR. Either it's just 1975's turn to get hot, or there is an influx of new Cincy collectors. Or was there an article in one of the hobby publications, perhaps, touting '75 as an undervalued set?