Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

CON40, I think you can answer this...

Do you know when they Nolan Ryan Basic Set composition is going to be reconfigured? (such as taking out the 93 refractor)

Comments

• Options
    He's in Hershey, PA on vacation.
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    yup , gotta have that family time sometime or the wife will use the cards as coasters.image he'll be back saturday
  • Options
    JonBJonB Posts: 495
    well does anyone else know the answer to that?
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭
    jon
    i think scott has discussed the revamping of the three nolan ryan sets. he has to pass it through bj and then it has to voted on by us. i think he wants it to be as accurate as possible so it may be a few more weeks?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Jon,

I think the consensus opinion is that the 93 Refractor be removed from the Nolan Ryan Basic set. I share this opinion especially since the insanity that has surrounded the last three PSA 9 examples that have popped up on eBay, its just not a card that fits the Basic set mold. I believe it was originally placed there for chase purposes, but at the Cold War escalations of $2100+, $3500+, and $3000+, it just is insane for it to be there.

I think that there were conversations that set restructuring of this type should wait until after the Oct 31 deadline, that way it would be in place for a whole year. Again I personnally have no problem with the card being pulled.

Also, Jon, don't let that card deter you from joining the Nolan Ryan frenzy, it will be removed. I'd say lets burn it now, but I'd rather wait until Keith gets back from his vaction. I don't anticipate much resistance to the move.

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    Ebay UserId: sjeanblanc
    --------------------------------------------------
    Collecting Nolan Ryan cards (68-94)
  • Options
    JonBJonB Posts: 495
    Scott,

I have already started my Nolan Ryan basic set, just haven't listed it on the registry yet. I started it about a month ago and so far I have about 6 PSA 10's. (still have a long way to go)

My main focus is my Cal Ripken basic set, but all of those cards will be in PSA 10, and after buying about 15 or so of those, I have learned its going to take a while to complete that set. Its not a money issue at all as most of the cards go for about $20, the hard part is just finding them. I have about 100 of the 198 cards raw, and about 25 of those have a chance at a 10, so next time PSA runs a special I'll send them all in.

The Ryan basic set should be fun, one of the reasons I started it is so i'll have something else to look for besides Ripkens. Plus, Ryan was always my favorite ranger, I am 22 (live in Fort Worth, TX, about 30 minutes from the ballpark in arlington) and remember watching him in person at the old arlington stadium before they built the ballpark in arlington.

Another nice thing about the Ryan basic set is that almost every card should be on ebay at any given time, already graded by PSA. That means I can be extremely choosy in the cards I buy.
  • Options
    Hi Jon,

Well, welcome to the Ryan collecting family!! image

Ryan's after 1990 become hard to find, if you don't submit your own, because most dealers won't waste their time and money. You should be able to find an ample supply of PSA 10's from the years 1980-1990 with the toughest being the Topps issues from 1980 & 1981, Score 1988, 1991, & 1993, Fleer 1983 & 1985 and Donruss 1985 & 1986.

Take it easy,

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    Ebay UserId: sjeanblanc
    ---------------------------------------
    Collecting Nolan Ryan cards (68-94)