Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Starting a 1933 Goudey Set

I am starting a 1933 Goudey set graded in PSA 5/6. Are there any difficult to find cards (other than #106)? It does not appear to be a difficult set to put together (although expensive). I was wondering if anyone has any advice on the best way to get started in a hurry on this set. I am looking to buy a large group now and gradually add to it. Are there any dealers that have a large collection of Goudeys? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. David

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Levi has all the stars + a few commons - but his prices are high.
    Larry (bbcards4u) has a decent number in mixed grades
    Mike Wheat has a number of raw examples that are probably in the 4+ range.
    Besides that - best bet would be to wait until the next Mastro or similar auction. They often have large lots/sets of these cards in collector grade.
    A trip to the National would also highly be in order.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Jay from the boards

PSA 3's and 4's look nice, so you might consider those as well.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    ScumbiScumbi Posts: 268
    Packman,

I think you need to do a little research before you set off on a PSA 5/6 1933 Goudey set. I've seen commons like Danny MacFayden go for over 200 bucks in PSA 4. Also, each of the Ruth cards is a minimum of 3000 in PSA 5. This doesn't even take into account the Gehrigs, Foxes, Hornsbys, Hubbells, Bengough and Otts. Cards are not as readly available as you think especially in grades over 4. A straight PSA 5 set will cost you 75K and take three years. There's a group of about ten hardcore collectors for this set with very deep pockets. Also, there are a bunch of low pop commons. Cards from #1 to #53 are rare even in midgrades and super expensive. You can toss your SMR out the window. The dealers have all been picked through to. They are not holding huge numbers of PSA 5 or better cards. They are snapped up very quickly. If I were you, I'd put together a very nice set of PSA 3 and PSA 4. Quality cards is a great first stop. You can really get a start off that website. Mike Wheat, as mentioned, keeps a nice inventory, but you have to get the cards graded and that can be dicey. Shoeles Joe, Tom Witek Enterprises, 707 all try to keep some around. On Ebay, Barnett's cards, TJ Schwartzsports, B-E-C collectibles, Yorktown and MM something or other all keep a fairly constant stream of cards coming. Mcavoy sportscards has the whole set, but they are ungraded and expensive. I've been at it for a few years now and it's not easy. I can't pay the money other collectors can. I don't like spending 250 on a PSA 6 common. You had better be prepared to spend 2 hours every night if you really want to make a go.

Also, #106 is a mere 25K or more if you can find one.

Good luck.

S.
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    I don't think that set is very hard to find at that grade and somewhat affordable (depending on your budget).

I think eBay is probably going to be your best bet on value. Most dealers who sell these issues charge a premium. Last year I sold the complete set of Cubs players (individually) and they were graded either PSA 5 or PSA 6. The HOF types such as KiKi Kyler, Hack Wilson and Babe Herman, all PSA 5, sold in the $200 to $280 range, while the PSA 5 commons sold in the $40-$70 range, while the PSA 6 commons went from $80 to $100.

Good luck!
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    bbcexchange often lists these on ebay as well, although many of his are PSA 3 or 4. I would recommend contacting a lot of vintage dealers to see what they have in stock - Goodwin, Andy Madec, Kurtz Kardz, etc.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Dude, have you put together a full set in PSA 5/6? Last year, the marketplace was quite different. Recently, a PSA 5 119 Hornsby went for 600 bucks. That's double book at the minimum. Also, Cuyler is a tough card. It doesn't come up in anything over PSA 4 very often. I saw Varner put up a GAI 4 Dazzy Vance at $225 andit was gone the same day.

If you look at 707's inventory, it isn't chock full of cards over PSA 3. Look at his prices on the Ruths and Gehrigs. We know he doesn't budge. That's some serious dough. Buying 240 cards on Ebay is a chore onto itself. Postage alone is going to be 2000 bucks once you're done. Also, there's no trading up. Nobody is looking for a PSA 3 and 100 dollars for their PSA 4.

I hope packman goes for it. It's my favorite set. I'm sure he'll end up buying some of my cards in 5 and 6 at some point. However, I think it's fair to let someone know what it's like so they don't get discouraged. This isn't a 1963 Fleer set in PSA 7s and 8s. This is 240 cards that will most likely never be completed because of the Lajoie. There are a bunch of very able collectors driving up this market now. Be realistic. I've been there. It's tough and I don't make myself out to be a hero.

S.
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Dude, have you put together a full set in PSA 5/6?

Nope. I wish I could.

I agree with your analysis and indeed the set is a classic, and I'm sure if one does prudently build that set, it's hard to lose money on it. Collectors 100 years from now will still chase it with great enthusiasm.
  • Options
    MachodocMachodoc Posts: 541
    OK guys,

I have a raw/graded set minus two of the Ruth cards but with PSA 5's of the other two Ruths and one PSA 5 Gehrig card.

I am about 13 cards short of the entire set, which I have been buying raw over the past year.

Personally I am not much of a submitter. I believe in buying already graded cards in order to complete my set building goals, but with supply drying up in certain key collecting years I will be doing more submissions.

Back to the Goudeys: I recently decided to submit a chunk of my Goudey set for grading as a test to get my toes back into the waters. I sent in 26 of my most valuable 1933 Goudey raw cards and will await their results before deciding to submit more.

Along with my raw 1952 set this represents a major leap into the submission pool for me and perhaps I'll do a after action report when done in early fall.

SW
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Steve -- great post (except for the sig. line). Goudeys are on fire right now. They should cool down somewhat in a bit, though. Nobody can predict the future, but my experience with graded vintage is that once a card set gets really "hot", then you never see it drop all the way back to where it was right before things began to get out of control. A new mindset gets established so that one goes from saying, "That idiot just paid 3 times SMR at $600!" to "I was fortunate to snag it for just $589" just months down the road.
  • Options
    ranchranch Posts: 341
    I agree, you can't rely on the SMR anymore. The marketplace has been so unpredictable lately and completing this set in PSA 5/6 could take forever. And I agree with what Scumbi wrote, a PSA 3/4 set makes better sense...
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    What Vargha said.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. Thanks for the dealer recommendations. I always wanted to build a 1933 Goudey set. I had planned to budget around $40k on the set. However, it appears that my goal to build it in PSA 5/6 would not be realistic. Perhaps the better approach is to work on a PSA 3/4 with a few key cards at PSA 5. Another set that I want to build is a 1941 Playball. I think this set would bw easier to build due to the size. Has anybody tried putting a 1941 set together? What is a realistic grade that I should be shooting for? I was thinking about a PSA 6 set. Thanks. David
  • Options
    I would have to say go for the 41 Playball and for two reasons. One is that everyone on here talking about the increase in pricing is absolutely correct. Prices for PSA3/4's are going way up from what I have been paying. It has been extemely frustrating trying to win any auctions on EBay. Commons are hard but Semi-stars and stars are out of my league. I think I'm going to put my set on hold for a while until this all cools down a bit. My second reason is that I'm being selfish and don't want another bit of competition. Whatever you decide, have fun.

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• Options
    I have to say it now. I'm done for a while with the 33 set. When I see PSA 3 commons going for 30-40 dollars then I'm out. I can't believe the increase in price over the last month or so. I'm off to find another set to start or work on that I can afford. I am just so pi$$ed about this I can hardly stand it. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• Options
    The increase in the last little while is truly amazing. It's going to put quite a few of us in a quandry whether or not to sell off our partial sets. I only need 55 to finish off a mainly "6" set (some 5's and 7's) but I'm not sure if I still have the will. I'm pretty sure my '34's will be gone as I'm only 25% through that set. The competition on ebay has been very strong lately, and it's a sad commentary when I have dealers way outbidding me, as I know that they are only buying to sell at a higher price.
  • Options
    Yeah, 33 Goudeys are about the hottest attainable issue right now. I wasn't kidding with my original posts on this thread. It's nearly impossible to win an Ebay auction without bidding some insane amount especially in the PSA6 and above grades. The set is large, but not too large to handle. There are an overabundance of HOFers. The four Ruth cards and two Gehrigs are cards you don't mind having to collect in the same player.

I'm going to try and ride out this huge price boom. I don't think the cards can go up indefinitely. There's no time limit on collecting them. 33 Goudey, if you are 185 cards in, it would be sad to just give up. Pick up on another set for a bit and see what happens. Personally, I'm trying to upgrade, but now isn't the time. Remember, people paying insane prices for PSA 7s will have PSA 6s or PSA 5s to sell. There will be a trickle down at some point.

Additionally, there are enough inconsistencies in grading that allow you to crack out PSA 3 slabs and receive PSA 4 grades. I've done this on a number of occasions. Really take a good look at the card. Each grader within PSA seems to have a different standard for the Goudeys. I have PSA 5 cards that are no different than PSA 7 cards.

Interestingly, the 1952 Topps set in PSA 5 is quite reasonable right now. Most of the collectors are in the PSA 6 and above range. The market is saturated with PSA 5 and below. They are selling for under SMR. Of course, you do have to face the hi numbers, Mantle and Mathews at some point, but I think it's a good time to go after this set if you are looking for another major set.

Last, now is a good time to put together superstar player sets. Mays, Banks, Clemente, Snider, Campanella and Frank Robinson are all under SMR by a decent percentage. These players in PSA 7 and PSA 8 can be very reasonable. It's nice to have a full run of cards of one player. It's something to consider in the meantime.

Best,

S.
  • Options
    Hi. I've been lurking on the boards for awhile, but I started selling off parts of my collection on Ebay. (A guy needs to focus on some specific)

I sent my star Goudey's in for grading. (Should be back soon) but I had 15 common's that I figured I'd just sell in a lot. They look good and I put a link in the auction so people can see hi-res scans on the front and back of these cards.

If you or anyone else is interested please feel free to bid and I'm happy to answer any questions as well.

Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5109121214&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
    Collector of T201 Mecca double folders. Graded and Raw...
  • Options
    It's been awhile since this post was up. What is the current environment for 33' Goudey's? Thinking 3/4/5.
    RayBShotz
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    Ray:

I have a few up now on set-builders2 and they are MIGHTY quiet. Much like the T205's, they have cooled noticeably since earlier in the year. T206 HOFers though are still red hot.
    Joe Tauriello
    Setbuilders Sports Cards
    Ebay: set-builders & set-builders2