Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

sjeanblanc, what's up with the opc ryan rookie

I got this message right after the auction ended, is he trying to scam me or did you back out. figured you should know this too as if it's not true then he is trying to scam you to.
"Hello, The winning bidder of my item 1968 Nolan Ryan O-Pee-Chee (OPC) Rookie Card PSA 7!!! Item number: 5101578825 bid incorrectly and no longer wishes to purchase, I would still like to sell the item. Would you like to purchase the item? Please let me know, thanks. Have a nice day. "

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    While we are talking about oddball Ryan rookies - any guesses on final hammer on the Venezuelan example on Ebay?
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I wonder... because you are the 3rd high bidder, that means two people backed out in less than 10 hours? Strange.

The Venezuelan will go past $1000 in a cake walk.
  • Options
    zsz70zsz70 Posts: 541
    Duncan,

It's not a big deal really.
    Plus you will never find out if it's a scam.

So your options are..........

1- Buy the card at the price you bid.
    2- Just say no.

I forgot to bid on a PSA 9 72 Ryan that CON40
    won last night. I've been thinking about contacting
    him and asking him if he'd like to make 20 bucks on the card,
    so contacting people after auctions happens.

marc
  • Options
    What the F***k is going on.

I was just about to process Paypal payment, when I was reading some emails that Keith (Con40) sent me about this post.

A) If I bid on something I stand by it and pay for it.

B) I have received NO communications from the seller other than the standard eBay "End of Auction" notice.

C) If I didn't intend to pay for it, why would I have already logged it in my Ryan Master Set?

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    Ebay UserId : sjeanblanc
    ----------------------------------------------
    Collecting Nolan Ryan cards (68-94)
  • Options
    AknotAknot Posts: 1,196 ✭✭
    (sj im just kidding btw)

Maybe you have taken to long to send payment. I mean it has been over 10 hours and you have yet to pay.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    scott , just went back and looked at things more closely. the ebay user that contacted me had the same email name as the seller but the ebay id switched 1 letter and he was posing as the seller as a scam. you should be all set. sorry to ruffle your feathers
  • Options
    Duncan;

That's good news. And yet another reason to not make a deal outside of the regulations of eBay. The person who falls fro this has no recourse with eBay, Paypal, Squaretrade or anyone.
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    The seller had 100% positive feedback with almost 1000 total. Something just didn't seem righ with all this nonsense talk. Congrats on a sweet card Scott.

The centering on that Venezuelan looks awesome, and the corners aren't too shabby. Even with all the stuff on the back, depending on how bad the surface on the fron is I would think that one might end up in a 3 holder, and possibly even a 4.

Yay for the peanut gallery
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    I get these regularly, even when I stopped bidding days before the auction ended. I guess I'm supposed to believe the 11 bidders above me all changed their minds. Occasionally it's a case of the seller has duplicates to sell, but usually it's a scammer. At some point he reveals himself, such as not abiding by the payment terms used by the real seller (please use Western Union for this special offer) or asking to go outside eBay and do it privately.

In some scams I've been involved in or joined the discussion on, an adult is using a teenager to do his dirty work (no jail worries for the juvie). The naughty little boy usually reveals his lack of education and sophistication the farther the scam goes. If someone allegedly selling a $500 vintage card suddenly starts writing "u" instead "you" and misspelling every other word, when the initial auction listing was literate, beware!
  • Options
    PackCollector and Con40,

Thanks for the heads up on this, I was just about to send an email to the seller asking what the heck was going on, instead I just processed the Paypal payment.

PackCollector,

Ruffle my feathers anytime, because if this had gone any further, you might have walked into this guy's bear trap and that would not have been a good thing. Weasels like this guy that sent you the offer should be hunted down and given the cement shoe treatment. With the dunking happening here in Milwaukee, in the seagull crap infested waters of Lake Michigan.

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    -----------------------------------------------------
  • Options
    AknotAknot Posts: 1,196 ✭✭
    Would it be against the rules if PC posted the users name/Ebay ID and email addy? It is an obvious attempt at "fraud" and it would be nice to add him to a "block" list.
  • Options
    Why am I craving Slim Jims all of a sudden?
  • Options
    can somebody put up a pic (frnt + bck) ?
    a 68 opc, and a ryan too, sweet !!
    auction link for that 68 venez. to please (i`m not bidding) i promise !

congrats, scott
  • Options
    Con40,
    YOu mention no recourse with Paypal for this kind of transaction. I have limited experience with Paypal. Why would they not stand behind a fraud like a credit card would?
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    Fuzz;
    I don't want to go into all the ways that PayPal can screw you... there's lots of old threads on that. But, if this scammer did take pack's money, then send an envelope with a Bucky Dent card in it, then Paypal would be under no obligation to refund pack's money because goods had been received. It doesn't matter that it's the wrong goods, Paypal sees it as a completed transaction. The burden of proof would be on pack to prove that he had been scammed and a fraudulent item sent to him. If he goes to his credit card to refund him (and deny Paypal the payment), then Paypal would likely suspend him for violating the user agreement (only their investigation efforts are recognized not those of a third party bank).

Can you say bend over?
  • Options
    holy crap keith go crazy-

I hope that bid stands up, because you know I will trade you a PSA 6 cany lid for that stinky old ryan venezuelan.
  • Options
    Keith-

Con-fricking-gratulations

I am going on record right now saying that the 19868 Venezuelan will be in a 3 holder. Hope your firstborn finds a good home.

-the Dabney
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    WOW!

It's funny, I was just discussing this card with a friend of mine about 2-3 weeks ago. We were wondering what one would sell for. I said that a raw example would sell, regardless of grade, for at least $1,000. I guess this proves me right. Now, I'm curious to see how this card will grade.

Keith,

Even if it comes back a PSA 1, I think that you have purchased a great card! Great eye appeal, no matter what PSA says - even better than my '67 Stargell:

JEB.

• Options
    It loos trimmed. Dump immediately. I know a guy who's buying if the price is right. Rumor has it that the right price is $5.

You're just lucky this card didnt come up a year from now.

Congrats again Keith, Mr. Real Holy Grail Owner.
  • Options
    purelyPSApurelyPSA Posts: 712 ✭✭
    Conforti - that is freaking AWESOME.
  • Options
    Congrats Keith.

We've all been hyping this card for quite sometime, glad you got it.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    What a Father's Day! I plunked down my bids last night and went to bed. I really didn't think my bids would hold up as they had slim leads over the underbidders, but I guess it was good enough! Unbelievable! Both Venezuelans in one night! I figured $2K would be the high end for this card, so I'm pretty happy, but I didn't think the 77 would go so high.

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

I actually have not decided if I'm going to grade this yet. I'll wait 'til it arrives and see then.

Happy Father's Day to all the other Dads out there!
  • Options
    keith, what a super night on ebay !
    these cards are very hard to find in ANY condition !
    like jeb said, even if these cards grade low, no matter they all grade low !
    the 2 cards in my bench set that i`m most proud of are a psa-1 and a psa-5. very sweet additions to your ryan set.
    your friend, lee

• Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    keith , you're a madman . so much for the 1000 or so we were talking about friday. lol

67standup, you should not be able to display those 3 yaz venezualens since you won't sell me one. I thiought this was a friendly community then you go and hog them all to yourselfimage
  • Options
    Congrats Keith,

Man a few days ago we were talking about how little Ryan stuff was out there that we needed and then voila, an abondonza of Ryan cards. The only bad thing about it is that you have to let a few of them go, I'm glad you won the Venezuelans, after the OPC and hopefully the 75 and some of the minor PSA 10's I knew I wouldn't be able to seriously go after the Venezuelans. I'm surprised the 68 Vene didn't go higher, the 77 went about were I thought it would.

Figures right after I fill the 68 OPC Ryan hole, that you would fill the 68 Venezuelan hole in the Ryan Master Set. image

Congrats Keith!!! image

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    --------------------------------------------
  • Options
    I don't understand it. These 2 guys (7155ds and pphccam or whatever) seem to come out of the woodwork every 3 months or so and push the prices way up on everything. See the 75 PSA 9 as an example. I will bet that each of the 10s ending today will break 50 as well - I BINed one card (90 Kmart) for 25 and I wish I would have done the same for the 91 Fleer at 45. With these guys out there it will easily get that.
  • Options
    Scott;
    You're right... so much to choose from! I focused on the Venezuelan simply because it's the scarcest and I need it. I'm glad you landed the OPC, but who knows where the 79 PSA 10 and 75 PSA 9 will go. There is so much crossover collecting involved with those, we may not even recognize who the high bidder is (unless it's you!). Good news for you though is that after this, I am on the sidelines for the rest of the big stuff. I bid on some small stuff too, so hopefully there is enough to go around.

mudflap;
    7155ds surfaces for air every so often and will bid aggressively. I don't know who that person is. I have emailed every guy on the Ryan Registry, and that one has never come up and I have never seen a pattern of bidding and submitting to a set. Good thing though is that are there are so many nice Ryans at the moment that everyone will get something they are after. Like Scott says, no one can get it ALL!
  • Options
    does anyone know who "100.7" on ebay is? he's been buying a ton of Nolan stuff. i was just wondering because there is a Country radio station in austin, 100.7 KASE, that does promotion with Nolan sometimes
  • Options
    I think 100.7 is also the fastest clocked pitch by Nolan Ryan, but he definitely took Keith over the 2k mark on the Venezuelan.

7155ds buys lots of Nolan Ryan PSA 10 cards, I have sold at least two or three to him, he pays fast, but his shipping address is a P.O. Box and a business name, so I don't know who it is either. All I do know is that he hasn't listed any cards in any Ryan sets yet.

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    ----------------------------------------------
  • Options
    Man, it bites having to work with so much Ryan action going on. Nice job to Keith and Scott on the '68's. I had to buy a new mop for all of the drool here. It is a lot of fun having this much to choose from and as long as prices remain high, the stuff will come out of the woodwork.

Brent
    Collecting:
    Bo Jackson Basic(#1) and Master(#1)
    Bob Feller Basic(#4)
    Sam McDowell Basic(#1)
    2004 Cracker Jack Master

My Ebay Store