Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Move Over EJ, There's A New #2 In Town

Finally hit 8.50, surpassing EJ in the standings...only the mighty FB remains...tick tock tick tock

Comments

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    eric you are too funny. i hope you get the cards you need to finish it off.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    i knew it was too quiet over at the EO camp. i was hoping to help you out with an aaron ia and mcrae ia but as fortune would have it all my pulls were too OC for a nine grade.
  • Options
    EOMINTEOMINT Posts: 349
    Highend...any help would be much appreciated!!! This is one beauty of a set. EO
  • Options
    any guesses to the last card?

8. ron swoboda
    17. dave duncan
    32. cleon jones ia
    40. bob barton ia
    41. tommy davis
    55. clyde wright
    76. don carrithers
    94. al pitching ldrs
    96. al strikeout ldr
    143. gary jestadt
    168. deron johnson ia
    170. vida blue ia
    172. darrell evans ia
    178. paul schaal ia
    208. milt pappas
    211. gary sutherland
    263. felipe alou
    292. hal mcrae ia
    300. hank aaron ia
    304. joe pepitone ia
    377. terry harmon
    395. matty alou
    401. jim nash
    443. ken henderson
    463. bernie carbo
    464. jim roland
    480. lee may
    482. joe hoerner
    516. oscar brown
    518. wayne garrett
    519.ted abernathy
    524. reds rookies
    532. fred kendall
    533. ralph houk
    536. doug rader
    556. ron santo ia
    568. juan marichal ia
    585. george scott
    588. jim holt
    591. paul casanova
    655. jerry grote
    657. bobby wine
    673. dave marshall
    682. mike mccormick
    693. alan gallagher
    699. bobby murcer
    714. gene michael ia
    715. mike epstein
    716. jesus alou
    730. rick monday
    782. larry stahl
    Collector Focus

• Options
    I've been going through a lot of 72's and I think the last card or cards the EO will need to find, will be a least one if not all of these three:

40 Barton IA
    170 Blue IA
    178 Schaal IA

Everyone of these cards that I have found are OC at a minimum one direction if not both directions.

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    Ebay UserId : sjeanblanc
    ------------------------------------------
    Collecting Nolan Ryan cards (68-94)
  • Options
    highendhighend Posts: 534
    i agree with scott, the cards he mentioned are easily the toughest in the set. the aaron ia will likely be a very costly acquisition aside from the 72 guys who will want the card the aaron set collectors will be clamoring for it as well
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    The last Aaron IA PSA 9 that sold on eBay went for under $1000.

Unfortunately - it was about 3 to 4 years ago and "low pops" weren't really a term being used since most 72's only had one or two PSA 9's. I remember bidding over $700 and thinking that these guys were nuts! I'm not even sure that EO was working on the 72 set yet. But, Aaronman (here on the boards) won it and has held it tightly in his grasp ever since...

If I only knew then, what I know now...

EO - the next one that comes up probably won't go for much over $1000 - no need to bid really, REALLY high on it. I'll probably be on vacation that week too.image

And I'm betting the last card will be the Blue IA. Sure - the Schall IA is tecnically the hardest, but I think that its received enough press that people have been sending them in more often. But, the Blue is almost as tough and is not nearly as well known.
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    frank, i have to agree the schaal ia has received alot of press, last week one of the few guys i'd buy raw from broke a set of 72's. he had a series 2 lot of about 75 cards nm/ nm-mt . i scanned through the auction and lo-behold a very nicely centered schaal ia, based on my prior transactions with the seller and the scan i figured it had a good shot at an 8. i bid up to 150 bucks and still lost, the schaal is without a doubt , what fueled that auction. i suspect we may see another 8 surface soon.
  • Options
    AknotAknot Posts: 1,196 ✭✭
    IA in action?
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    AKNOT - Correct! ...jay
  • Options
    AknotAknot Posts: 1,196 ✭✭

<< <i>AKNOT - Correct! ...jay >>

WOOOHOOO

"Tell em what hes won Bill!!"
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

<< <i>WOOOHOOO "Tell em what hes won Bill!!" >>

You get the honor of starting the '72 set, 1 card at a time ...jay
  • Options
    6 cards to go! Looks like its going to be the Aaron IA? Doug Rivard has one but I bet it's not for sale?
    Pop of 2 so there is another one out there!
    Collector Focus

• Options
    I sold the Schaal IA Psa 9 about 6 months ago.If I remember correctly I sold it to Eric. Does he have it in his set?????? I agree with the legendary Frank Baaka that the Blue IA will be the last card.
  • Options

<< <i>I sold the Schaal IA Psa 9 about 6 months ago.If I remember correctly I sold it to Eric. Does he have it in his set?????? I agree with the legendary Frank Baaka that the Blue IA will be the last card. >>

He already has the blue IA
  • Options
    Thr 6 remaining cards are

94 (pop 4 in 9 or higher)
    263 (pop 2 in 9 or higher)
    300 (pop 2 in 9 or higher)
    292 (pop 2 in 9 or higher)
    524 (pop 0 in 9 or higher)
    673 (pop 4 in 9)
  • Options
    EOMINTEOMINT Posts: 349
    I'm not too worried about the Aaron...if I had to predict the last card I'd say Reds Rookies, that thing is impossible to find. Eric
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    EOMINT,

Being one of the new kids on the 72 block, I am blown away that you have put this set together in ALL PSA 9 (or better). Even the great Frank Bakka cannot say that. ( he has got a bunch of 8's in his set)

WELL DONE!!!

Completeing the set in 8's is my goal. (That's all I can afford!)
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    HI, Eric. I'm glad to see you creeping up on FB. I myself have been slowly moving uop the list. I think I'm around 25% right now thanks in large part to you and Jim Viatale. Just wondering, do you have any extra 8's or 9's lying aroung collecting dust you'd like to get rid of? If so, just PM or email me and maybe we can work out a deal.

Thanks--Jason
  • Options
    the psa 9 reds rookies is going to be a tough one to add since it doesn't exist. the aaron will surely be the highest priced addition since there will competition from the aaron collectors and the 72 maniacs.

in set registry math the distance between 9.04 to 9.20 is VERY darn far, but it's great watching two world class sets being built.
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    FB,
    I just sent 6-Blue IA to PSA, There all at least 8's I hope for 1 or 2 9's. I havent spent much time going thru the 72's. I have a list now from an earlier post, so maybe I'll see what I have. I do know there are no Schaal IA.