Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1982 Republic of Iraq Proof Set - Restoration of Historic City of Babylon

This is a set I picked up in Iraq. It was extremely hard to find and of course it wasn't the top priority on my agenda but I found two of these. I saw some others and some other guys that had found the same thing but they were so junked up and/or missing the cover and the booklet.

I bought it at the Al Rasheed Hotel in Baghdad in October 2003. The next day, the hotel was hit with rocket fire fired from a donkey cart (donkey still attached to the cart) killing a few people and injuring many.

I am cleaning house and selling all sorts of things but mostly coins (modern U.S.). I am including this here if anyone wants to take a hit at it first. I had to buy it at an inflated price because it was in the Al Rasheed Hotel where everyone wants to get something to take home and you do not have to go out and about risking your life for a souvenier. I had bought this for $75 US. Normally, I would not have paid no more than $35 but, time and risk were involved, so I said "what the hell, I haven't spent any money in like a year anyway."

The copper-nickel set comes with a heavy weighted paper booklet which gives information about the coins and what the meaning of the designs are and content. It also gives praise to Saddam Hussein for helping restore the city. Also, comes with a heavy paper/cardboard outer cover with the Iraqi Republican Guard Eagle Logo. All writing is in a silver/chrome print.

Coin set, cover and booklet had to be reduced in size. Set size is 4.5 x 6.5 inches.

imageimage

Comments