Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

How Can Your Weighted Average Increase in the Registry?

If I currently have a weighted average in my 1965 Topps Baseball set of 8.05, how many 9's would I have to add to increase to 8.06 (for example)?

Comments

• Options
    RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    You need Virtualizards spreadsheet thingy and you can have that answer lickity split.

Speaking of weight I gained 30 lbs since jumping on the registry. image
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    A factor would be your % of the set thats complete. The lower the amount, the bigger the increase w/ a higher grade.
    If you have the entire 598 set in PSA-8's, and you would strive for an 8.06 average, you would need to upgrade 36 of the 8's to 9's. This is based on commons that have a weight of one. If you choose any cards of weights of higher then 1, you would need them to equal a total 36 grade weight likewise for this jump...jay
  • Options
    Jay,

I can't believe I"m disagreeing with you but I don't think that's right. The divisor for the 1965 set is 1036 so an upgrade of 1 point would equal about .001% so it would take about 10 upgrades (whether it's 10 cards weighted one each or 5 cards weighted 2 each) to increase your set rating .01%.

I hope this helps.

Wayne

I promise I'll never disagree again!!!image
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    WAYNE - You are probably right as when it comes to '65's, you were always my idol. You completed that high grade '65 set quicker then I put on a pair of shoes...jay
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭

<< <i>If I currently have a weighted average in my 1965 Topps Baseball set of 8.05, how many 9's would I have to add to increase to 8.06 (for example)? >>

It all depends on the grade weights of the cards that you add. If you add a PSA 9 Mantle, that will easily do it. If you add a PSA 9 common, it will most likely not.

<< <i>You need Virtualizards spreadsheet thingy and you can have that answer lickity split.

Speaking of weight I gained 30 lbs since jumping on the registry. >>

Here's a link to my "spreadsheet thingy" image

Rob is correct - just plug in your grades and then play around with the upgrades and additions to see what it does to your GPA and set rating.

BTW, I've lost 30 pounds in the past 6 months by laying off of the registry a bit! image

JEB.
  • Options
    purelyPSApurelyPSA Posts: 712 ✭✭
    Hell, when you convert the pounds back into dollars, I shudder to think what I've lost on the registry!image
  • Options
    ScumbiScumbi Posts: 268
    Only $3000 to go from 8.05 to 8.06? Heck, go for it. Oh, wait. That 3000 is 6000 pre-tax and you'll probably have to buy your wife 3000 dollars of shoes after-tax. Thus, 12,000 dollars is the real total. Taking your family to the movies costs $1000 dollars now so I still say go for it. 0.01 kept me from graduating with the rest of my class in high school. If money wasn't meant to be spent, they would put baseball players on our nation's hard currency.

Best,

S.
  • Options
    If the goal is to upgrade your gpa for the 1965 set, then the best way to do so is by buying high numbered commons. An example of this would be:

1). 1965 Topps Mickey Mantle (10 Points) costs about $3,000.

This would mean that you are paying $300 per point and it takes 10 points to raises your gpa .01%

2). 569 Gino Cimoli (3 Points) costs about $65
    580 Jimie Hall (3 Points) costs about $65
    583 Wes Covington (3 Points) costs about $65
    596 Don Landrum (3 Points) costs about $65

So for $260 you can increase your set by 12 points which would easily raise the set rating .01%. It takes 10.36 points to raise your
    set average .01% Plus you have the added advantage of only spending a little over $20 per point verses the $300 per point for the
    Mantle card.

I hope this helps.

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    A related question: I assume Johnny Bench's 1968 rookie card in PSA 9 (for example) carries more weight in the set than his 1980s cards, for which there are 9's in abundance and even 10's are not impossible to find.

Otherwise someone with all the newer cards in 9's but no older 8's would have a higher score than someone who has all the more valuable cards in 8's PLUS all the newer 9's. At least I hope this is true!

But how does it work? Is there a standard formula? I can't find the info on PSA's site.
  • Options
    Here is a link to the ratings:

Bench basic set

His rookie is weighted 9 while the newer cards are typically rated 1.

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    Thanks for the information, Virtualizard. I clicked your link but nothing appears. Can you check this for me?
  • Options
    bill7549bill7549 Posts: 182
    Mike, the link works. I just tried it out. You might want to try it on another PC or disable any popup blockers you have before trying it again.
    You spilled WHAT on my 1952 Topps Mantle?!?!?! Doh!!

My 1952 Topps Baseball Set
  • Options
    RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    Buy the card not the holder.All the same sizes weigh the same as eachother.

A lot of set weights are flawed in their infant stages of the registry concept.Some that weigh 1 doesn't necessairly mean the card is any easiier than another with a higher weight.Not always the case but you get the point.

• Options
    Thanks, Wayne. I don't know why I never stumbled on that before. I think 1971 should get more weight than 69 and 70, and much more than 72. Try finding a PSA 9 of ANYTHING in 1971!
  • Options
    bill7549bill7549 Posts: 182
    Sorry....gotta be a smarta$$

'71 PSA 9
    You spilled WHAT on my 1952 Topps Mantle?!?!?! Doh!!

My 1952 Topps Baseball Set
  • Options

<< <i>Only $3000 to go from 8.05 to 8.06? Heck, go for it. Oh, wait. That 3000 is 6000 pre-tax and you'll probably have to buy your wife 3000 dollars of shoes after-tax. Thus, 12,000 dollars is the real total. Taking your family to the movies costs $1000 dollars now so I still say go for it. 0.01 kept me from graduating with the rest of my class in high school. If money wasn't meant to be spent, they would put baseball players on our nation's hard currency.

Best,

S. >>

haha!
    Eddie Murray, Will Clark and Darin Erstad collector, check my wantlists for what I need.
    http://www.clark22murray33.com
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry....gotta be a smarta$$

'71 PSA 9
    >>

I guess I should have said, try finding anything in PSA 9 in 1971 for less than $250. image
  • Options
    On that '71 Hunter auction, you'll notice that it was only up for 3 hours before the Buy-it-Now was used!