Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Ryan Set Collector's-What's it worth to you?

Sine the 1986 Topps Ryan is a pop zero, this seems like it would be a safe question. What would you pay for a 10 of this card. Could it go for $25, $200 or $500? The question occured to me when I won an '87T Ryan 10. I would have a hard time paying more than $100 for it but I think I may be out of step.

Brent

<< <i>Ryan Fever... I'm down with the Sickness >>

Collecting:
Bo Jackson Basic(#1) and Master(#1)
Bob Feller Basic(#4)
Sam McDowell Basic(#1)
2004 Cracker Jack Master

My Ebay Store

Comments

• Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Brent;

One will surface within the next 2 months as a result of the $5 special... probably from 4sharpcorners or DSL... that said, I think someone (maybe not me image) will go to $500 on it easily.

Is this crazy? Maybe not, you could buy a few cases for that kinda money, but you still have no guarantees of pulling a "10"...
  • Options
    goodriddance189goodriddance189 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭
    its weight is only 1, so i doubt it would go for over $250-$300
  • Options
    Brent,

I agree with Keith, one will be flushed out here in the near future. As for what it would garner, I don't know. I would hazard a guess in the $200-$300 range. The source pool for cards from this year is vast, but hasn't really been tapped. MS the Mike Schmidt collector had 800 Schmidt cards to go through and pick the 5 best that ended up getting 10,9,9,9,8. I will bet that DownGoesFrazier comes up with a Ryan 10 before anyone else. A while back there it sounded like he had found a really nice supply of 86 stuff.

Keith,

Congrats on the 1991 Post Canadian PSA 9, I was surprised it didn't go over $30. I really wanted the 1977 Topps Cloth Sticker Ryan PSA 9 but I feel asleep at the wheel and didn't get a bid in. Chargerfan got a pretty good deal on that at $72.

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    Ebay UserId : sjeanblanc
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Collecting Nolan Ryan cards (68-94)
  • Options
    Scott;

Thanks on the 91 Post... I have some of those raw, but the centering is not very good, so that PSA 9 looked pretty attractive to me. I don't think it's in the current Master Set though (have to check)...

Wow! $72 on a 77 Cloth PSA 9 is a great deal! I tend not to track cards that I already own, so I missed that completely...

BTW: I am almost done with your Excel checklist... I am up to 1991 now (but ironically not yet halfway through the list can you imagine being a Jeter or Arod collector?) and should have the list to you this weekend.
  • Options
    goodriddance189,

Remember that weight has no meaing in the absence of gravity. image Seriously though set weights rarely have a bearing on what the first of something will go for. All I know is that I have to be a little more pratical then I was a year ago. I'll still bet that the first 86 Ryan PSA 10 goes $200+. It will all come down to how badly two or more collectors want it. If only one is going seriously after it, it could go cheap.

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    Ebay UserId : sjeanblanc
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Collecting Nolan Ryan cards (68-94)
  • Options
    purelyPSApurelyPSA Posts: 712 ✭✭
    Let's remember here that 9s were selling at 150 a pop here not long ago. 200 for a 10 sounds good. However, 86's are getting played out, so the 4sharps of the world might move on to another set for their profits and the 86s will dry right up. The clock is ticking for one to appear. If it isn't in the next 6-8 weeks I don't know if you'll see one.
  • Options
    GATOR5GATOR5 Posts: 654
    Guys-

I can state this. Been through 5-6boxs thats 30 rack boxes and only found two ryans that made 9's. If a 10 appears it will clearly surpass 400 and more likely sell around 550 thats my guess. I have a few 86's up at the moment and have more in at psa. But thats it for me, one time shot and gone so the statement of drying up will be correct. 4sharp and dsl probably wont even attempt it for we beat them to it.image

Frazier has a nice supply yet no ryan and he doesnt plan on putting them in plastic. That being said if you can get them right I think they are blazing. Check out the carlton I have up, really nice!

Gator
  • Options
    Good points all on the supply potentially drying up... I still think that a PSA 10 will go for more than 200-300... why? Last year a PSA 10 81 Topps came up for auction and went for $650!!! I was surprised by that. Now, the 86 is a more attractive card, has a more notorious reputation for condition, and is much less plentiful in PSA 9 (IMO -- haven't checked the Pop Report). It just less in raw value than the 81. But when a lone PSA 10 comes up, prices can go crazy.
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    I would pay $100,000 for one. Then I would get in my Rocket Car and drive said 1986 PSA 10 to my solid gold mansion. Let it be known...
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    I will trade 10 Will Clark rookies for one!!!!

Think about that for a moment: 10 WILL CLARK ROOKIES!!!!!!

BOTR
  • Options

<< <i>I will trade 10 Will Clark rookies for one!!!!

Think about that for a moment: 10 WILL CLARK ROOKIES!!!!!!

BOTR >>

Id do that trade if they were PSA 100 GEM GEM ULTRA MEGA MINT
    Eddie Murray, Will Clark and Darin Erstad collector, check my wantlists for what I need.
    http://www.clark22murray33.com
  • Options
    Here is a link to a Don Mattingly 1986 Topps PSA 10 ...........it's a 1/1 .....it's over a 100.

Might help guage a price on a Ryan PSA 10.

Mattingly PSA 10
    Buying 1957 Baseball PSA 8 or higher. Especially Checklists, and Contest Cards. Topps1957psa8set@aol.com
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    Just picked up another 9 for less than $20 on ebay. I just threw a bid out there and I can't believe it held up. It looks like the market on these is definitely done until a 10 shows up. Anybody want to trade any Ryans for a 1986 PSA 9? PM me with any offers.