Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

ID Ancient Coins

Does anyone know what these coins are? I have no idea. Any help is appreciated:

Comments

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Forum, The ones that can identify this will be here in awhile, A little better pictures would help thoughimage
  • Options
    MadMuffinMadMuffin Posts: 468
    Welcome aboard!

The coin at the top right is a Roman silver denar though I can't say if it's genuine. I believe this particular reverse type was issued several times under different emperors.

The coin at bottom right looks ancient Greek to me.

At bottom left you have either a Roman as or a sestertius - that depends on the size.

The coin in the lower middle is quite interesting. Could be from the Netherlands, maybe the 1600s og 1700s. Any chance of a lighter image of that one?

This ain't much, but it's a start image

Marcel
    Ebay user name: 00MadMuffin00
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Welcome, Warman.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick replies. I'll try to post a couple of better scans. I really want to know what these are! I mainly collect US coins, but these were in a collection I purchased. They look very interesting. Thanks again for the welcome and info to all.
  • Options
    Here are the new scans - hopefully better. Have reverse and obverse although I don't know which is which on these:
  • Options
    The Roman sesterius is authentic-- kinda looks like Domitian (who rules 81-96 AD). Hard to say if the others
    are authentic-- one side of the Greek silver coin looks more authentic than the other side. The Spanish coin
    has to be a copy as it is a coin that should be silver, but it appears brass. If authentic it would be a Ferdinand and Isabella issue (1474-1504). Might be worth it to have a knowledgeable dealer or expert examine the Roman and greek silver coins in person to determine if they're authentic.
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    The large bronze is a Domitian. It's a dupondius though, not sestertius (note the radiate crown). Retail value about 5-10 dollars because of condition.

As was already said, the spanish medieval "coin" is a modern copy (hence the COPY stamp on the obverse). image We have a bunch of these in our ten cent pick bin.

The Roman Republican denarius looks authentic to me in the picture. Hard to say for sure though. It is from circa 121 B.C. Helmeted head of Roma on the obverse and the Dioscuri riding horses, r. on reverse. Crawford# 278/1. Retail value if authentic somewhere between 50-80 dollars.

The coin with the crab and eagle on it is supposed to be a drachm from Akragas in Sicily. From the scan, it doesn't look terribly authentic though. But that may just be bad imaging on a heavily worn coin. Same goes for the Aspendos stater with the wrestlers and sling thrower.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    Wow, thanks everbody for the feedback. At least I know where to start researching, since I'm one of those interested in the history and not only the value of coins. I'm in awe of your knowledge though and really appreciate your time and effort. Sounds like this is an area where there are alot of counterfeits and fake though. These were bought from an "old fashioned" collector who I don't think would buy but only from a reputable dealer/person although nothing is 100% in this hobby I've found out. Thanks again!
  • Options
    JoeCool