Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What if?....................Could he?

I really don't care much about Barry Bonds one way or another. I don't dislike him or anything, but he can be a jerk sometimes. Still, I do respect what he can do with a bat in his hands.

Think about it for a second....what if Barry Bonds wins the triple crown? I was just on ESPN.com and looking at the stats he is near the league lead in all three categories (.500 BA 1st, 9 HR 1st, 19 RBI 2nd). THEN, just think if, not only he wins the triple crown, but bats .400 too!

I know it sounds crazy, but IF (big if) he did that (or even just one of those things), would his cards not go through the roof? Would his rookie cards not double or triple in value?

Please don't tell me I'm nuts. I'm a sensitive guy! image I know it sounds crazy. That's why I said "what if"!

Thoughts?

Shane

Comments

• Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    He hit .388 last year. Anything is possible.
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
  • Options
    But for all his HRs, the RBI total sometimes isn't real high (90) last year.
    He walks so much, that most of his RBIs come on the home run.
    I think that's where Bonds would fall short.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But, IF he did it, would his cards not skyrocket?

Shane

• Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭

<< <i>.341 >>

.388 in the second half image
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Frank, I think you need to pay attention to your guy Pujols!

Sure, Bonds could do it, but I agree that his walk total will affect his ability to reach the RBI mark. He certainly could end the season a .375/.400 hitter. Especially if he gets walked for going on a tear like he has been known to do.

Glad I have some high grade stuff of his. image
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    envoy98,

Oh, don't get me wrong, I keeping a watchful eye on Mr. Pujols. I think he is the best right handed hitter in the game, but what Bonds has done the past couple of weeks is flat out amazing.

I was listening to the Dan Patrick show on the radio Wednesday. Anyway, a guy from the Elias Sports Bureau told the show that Bonds has SWUNG AT 34 (?) pitches, hit nine home runs, and MISSED, not struck out, but MISSED 7 pitches!!!!!!

Let me type that again - 34 pitches swung at, 9 home runs, and 7 swings and misses! THAT IS INCREDIBLE. That stat is so amazing that Tim Kirkjian came on the show immediately and said that is one of the most amazing stats that he has EVER heard. I have to agree.

Shane

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frank
    In Sep92 his 87D was 15$ and now it is 10$. This guy's stuff really fluctuates. So, if he gets close in the fall and his RC's start to skyrocket - I guess it would be time to sell, sell, sell! Cause it will probably come back down to earth from where it came. That would be my take.
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Barry Bonds will Bat .400 + this year, he will do it...I think his mind is made up, the year he batted .388 he just needed I think 12 more hits something he could have gotten easily buy Bunting...but I guess he is not that selfish then people make him out to be..image
  • Options
    My prediction is that he'll walk so many times, that he won't have enough at-bats to qualify..........or he'll cut himself and the roids will spill out just like the cork from Sammy's bat and the league will test and suspend him!!! Actually though, around June/July he'll start having trouble with his back and cool off in his hitting.
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Everybody knows what this guy is capable of possibly doing, so why aren't the price of his cards skyrocketing already, speculatively? He is bad karma, that's why.

BUNTING????????????? Does he know how to lay down a bunt? It's an artform perfected by the likes of Mantle and Mays when their team was down 2 and needed a man on base. Their manager had confidence they could lay one down and beat it out. They didn't do it to bolster their BA. Holy Cow. There is some strategy to this game, not just stats.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    Not really sure what an 87 Leaf Bonds in PSA 9 books for. My SMR from a couple of months ago says $45. I bid on one last night with a max of $92 and still lost the card. His PSA 9's and 10's seem to be really hot right now. His 87 Fleer rookie graded are consistently going for over $100 in a PSA 9 now.

I think his cards still have plenty of upside despite his sometimes perceived or not bad attitude.Love him or hate him - you can't argue this guy is one of the best hitters in the history of the game.
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.
  • Options

<< <i>My prediction is that he'll walk so many times, that he won't have enough at-bats to qualify.......... >>

You don't need a certain amount of ABs really. MLB rules say that you need 502 plate appearances for a full 162 game schedule to qualify.
    If someone has 390 ABs, and say 130 walks, along with any sacs, HBPs, etc, he would have well over 502 plate appearances, which would qualify him for the batting title.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Lets leave super human feats like hitting .400 and winning the triple crown to the true batting greats like
    Ted Williams! You think if Bonds was batting .401 with two games to go he would play in those games?
    I doubt it, its all about Bonds and that means the Giants won't make the playoffs, and Bonds will be
    a few RBI's short or a few hits short...after all he isn't the greatest hitter of all time and he isn't the
    greatest home run hitter of all time. Sooner or later if you play 30 years in the league you are going
    to put up numbers..look at some of the artifacts that put up 3000 hits or 300 wins. To do it in the same
    amount of time that Williams did it in would of been impressive!

JS

PS See I didn't even mention roids..ooops I just did!
  • Options
    I knew it was just a matter of time before the 'Bonds basher' would get in on this thread.image
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MrRookie

Mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Lets leave super human feats like hitting .400 and winning the triple crown to the true batting greats like
    Ted Williams! You think if Bonds was batting .401 with two games to go he would play in those games?
    I doubt it, its all about Bonds and that means the Giants won't make the playoffs, and Bonds will be
    a few RBI's short or a few hits short...after all he isn't the greatest hitter of all time and he isn't the
    greatest home run hitter of all time. Sooner or later if you play 30 years in the league you are going
    to put up numbers..look at some of the artifacts that put up 3000 hits or 300 wins. To do it in the same
    amount of time that Williams did it in would of been impressive!

JS

PS See I didn't even mention roids..ooops I just did! >>

I like how you changed your angle on his accomplishments. First, it was "wow, anyone could hit a homer off the scrubs he does". "He couldn't hit Wells or Clemens when he faced them" The next time he faced Wells he made a slight adjustmet and knocked a homer off him. The same thing will happen with Clemens when they meet again.

Now since you put your foot in your mouth with that one, you are saying that anyone could put up those kind of numbers if they play long enough. C'mon man. Give it up.

The guy is 2-2 so far tonight and he is batting .525 now. He is the best. get used to hearing that. You are not providing enough facts to tell us otherwise. Every time you bash him, he gets better. No one is better in the game today, or in the last 5 years at least.

TheRoach

7 MVP awards, the single season HR record, career walks record, single season walks record, 700HR/500SB, and two batting titles near 40 years old. How can one argue that those aren't stats of the greatest to ever play the game??? All this and there is still more to come!!!! Bonds:2005 NL MVP. Or are you going to doubt him again?
  • Options
    Bonds thinks he's the greatest player to ever play the game. If he could bend his body in a certain way, I bet he would try to kiss his own tail! The high average is from the sheer volume of walks. His AB's are far less than everyone around him. The guy is a good player, but not as good as the media makes him out to be. He just swings for the fence....that's his game! I'm really getting sick of turning on the sports and the first thing I see is Barry Bonds highlights. Why waste time watching him peel off all his "protective gear/football uniform" and walk to first base or watch him drop his bat in such an arrogant manner while the ball sails over the right field fence. He shouldn't always point to the sky for thanks. Point to the crap pitcher that floated a little league fastball down the center of the plate for you to hit. I think the amount of "kissing" that the media does to Barry Bonds is closing in on what Ahmad Rashad used to do to Michael Jordan.
  • Options
    AknotAknot Posts: 1,196 ✭✭
    OK this is the second time something about good ole Barry almost made me fall out of my chair laughing:

"Barry Bonds allegedly began dancing and skipping around the store shouting "I'm a pretty princess" over and over"
  • Options
    He's awesome. And if he was on 'roids, I just have to think he's not on them now with all the speculation and look how incredible he's doing. It's a shame he just cannot get a good relationship with the media & fans. If he can open up and be an ambassador, he'd be everyone's idol.

As for his cards, there's too much supply to think you'd ever have like a $5000 card. That may be a good thing that if you want one, you can have one. Tiffany may be the way to go.
  • Options

<< <i>the amount of "kissing" that the media does to Barry Bonds is closing in on what Ahmad Rashad used to do to Michael Jordan. >>

Yeah
    You are right...

Bonds is not really any good,
    and Neither was Michael Jordan....

(you crack me up! you are a funny funny funny man!)
    imageimage