Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

"#1" card set - looking for ideas

Here's what I've come up with so far. I figured I'd just edit the first post and make changes here. I don't know if it's worth it to submit it as a separate set (most of the cards show up Joe Orlando's Top 200 book anyways). I put some comments after each card. Also, if a player already had a #1 card (ie. Ted Williams, 1957, etc.) I just chose the earliest example and stuck it on this list.

Feel free to add to this post and make suggestions! Thanks!

1914 Cracker Jack #1 Otto Knabe, first significant baseball issue with true numbering
1933 Goudey Baseball #1 Benny Bengough HOF
1934 Goudey Baseball #1 Jimmy Foxx HOF
1935 Diamond Stars Baseball #1 Lefty Grove HOF
1935 National Chicle Football #1 Dutch Clark, first significant mainstream football set
1948 Leaf Baseball #1 Joe DiMaggio HOF
1948 Leaf Football #1 Sid Luckman HOF, RC
1948 Leaf Boxing #1 Jack Dempsey, significant boxing issue
1948 Bowman Basketball, #1 Calverley RC, first significant basketball issue
1950 Bowman Football #1 Doak Walker HOF
1951 Bowman Baseball #1 Whitey Ford HOF, RC
1952 Topps Baseball #1 Andy Pafko, one of the most recognizable cards from one of the all-time sets
1953 Topps Baseball #1 Jackie Robinson HOF
1954 Topps Baseball #1 Ted Williams HOF
1962 Topps Baseball #1 Roger Maris
1973 Topps Baseball #1 Mays/Ruth/Aaron HOFers
1989 Upper Deck Baseball #1 Ken Griffey Jr. HOF, one of the more significant modern day sets, highly recognizable card

(edited 4/21 to update list - 17 cards total.)

Comments

• Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I have a few that are "worthy" I think:

1914 Cracker Jack #1 Otto Knabe. Maybe the first nationally released numbered card set. Hence the number one #1!
    1940 Play Ball #1 Joe DiMaggio
    1954 Topps #1 Ted Williams is a superb card! And his first Topps issue to boot.
    1966 Topps #1 Willie Mays. Sorry, it's a normal size card!

Good luck!
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭
    1952 Bowman (#1 Yogi Berra)
    1953 Topps (#1 Jackie Robinson)
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    1957 Topps (Ted Williams)
    1962 Topps (Roger Maris)
    Any #1 that was a World Series championship card (e.g., 1970 and 1972 Topps)
    1989 Upper Deck (Ken Griffey Jr.)

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Fun idea!

Some other #1s with some obvious intention behind them are '74 Topps (Aaron Home run record), '86 Topps (Pete Rose) and '90 Topps (Nolan Ryan). Each of the three kicks off a "special" subset of several cards commemorating the milestone the player reached or was about to reach--Aaron's 715th homer, Rose's 4000th hit, Ryan's 5000 strikeout. Interestingly, Aaron ('76) and Ryan ('91, 92) both earned subsequent #1 honors.

Some miscellaneous fun with numbers--slightly off topic but fun:

Mike Payne's "300 Great Baseball Cards of the 20th Century" writes that Topps (at least around 1970, which is the year where Payne brings it up) reserved card #500 for stars, which would make doing Topps #500s during those years potentially entertaining (albeit expensive in high grade!)

Topps '03-04 Basketball set also had fun with numbers--most of the cards numbered 1-50 feature the most prominent player to wear that jersey number. Hence Tracy McGrady is #1, Tim Duncan is #21, Shaq #34...you get the idea. For those who haven't checked it out, I also happen to think this is a really nice looking set--and the traditional frame-and-white-border accentuate the occasional centering problems that come up for those looking to get the hot rookies of that set graded.

With regard to trying to come up with a smaller, more potent #1 set--it's tough to say how to limit it objectively. But I think you have to start with the '52 Topps Pafko and the '89 Upper Deck Griffey--in my mind at least, these are the two cards that most often come up when you think of cards that aren't just well known, but well known for being #1.

Peter G.
    Always looking for PSA 9 or better Alan Trammell basic set cards. Visit my Trammell card web site at "www.trammellcards.com"
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also the 1973 Topps #1 All-time Homerun Leaders (Ruth, Aaron, Mays)

Steve
  • Options
    Edited the set in the first post. Feel free to make suggestions by adding to this post! Thanks!
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    Johnny Unitas took the Topps number 1 card slot for many years... 1959, 60, 61, 62, 63. I'm not sure what you're basing the conditions on, but Johnny U. seems like a pretty solid choice for most sets.

Mike
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    How 'bout non-sports?

1959 Fleer 3 Stooges #1 "Curly"
    1962 Civil War News "The Angry Man"
    1962 Mars Attacks "The Invasion Begins"

3 high demand, hard to find #1 cards for some popular sets.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    Someone already listed the 1973 Topps #1 (All-Time HR Leader), but the 1973 OPC version in NON-OC is quite difficult to find.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin