Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Finding Merc's....a wholesale odyssey

I remember reading a message that another gentleman had put on the board a couple of weeks ago. I don't remember who it was, but I remember that he was lamenting the fact that he had gone to the Portland coin show with the hopes of purchasing one or two merc's, only to have his hopes dashed by the extraordinary prices that are being asked for, and paid, by collectors. My friend went to another show this past weekend and pretty much had the same report. I have only been collecting my set for a short while so I would not presume to give anyone advise.

However, since I started my collection in January I have purchased 30 coins, all with FSB's. My entire output for these coins has been about $1200. My purchases have ranged in price from $7 to $220. I bought a 17-D for $125 that I send in and is graded at MS63FB. Not exactly a super grade, but I was very pleased to find this coin at a price that I could afford. I also found a 19-D that I paid $180 for that I think will grade MS60FB-MS62FB. Again, not a super grade, but for someone on a budget it was a great find. Which brings me to my point.

I'm sure that most of us cannot afford the few thousand dollars that some of the more elusive Mercury's demand. I know that my going to a coin show is pretty much just so I can see nice coins that someone else with deeper pockets can afford. All of my purchases have been from coin shops, flea markets, ebay, and collectible stores that sell all kinds of stuff. And I seem to keep finding them. Now, I'm sure if a greenhorn like me can find affordable coins, then experienced collectors like yourselves can. I started out buying a set with 10 coins in it from my friend. I now have 37, most of which are still in being graded. My goal was to have my set at 50% before the end of the year. As long as I keep using my resources, I don't think I'll have a problem achieving my goal....happy cherry picking!

Comments

• Options
    BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭

Wow, Michael J....
    A very well spoken missive, on a super subject that hits very close to home, for the most of us on the forums. image
    Hang in there. Don't change your tactics.
    Bravo Zulu
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure if a greenhorn like me can find affordable coins, then experienced collectors like yourselves can.
    I agree with some of the above statement,but not so if your collecting early dates, MS66/67 FB .Not
    as easy as your lower grades
    Al
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello mjr36cb.

For some reason I think I just may have been the guy singing the blues about not being able to find Merc Dimes. Maybe the statement came off just a little wrong. Mercs were available at the Portland Show. One dealer had more early dates that I have seen in some time and he actually had the two dates I was looking for. If the coins would have been graded correctly and priced correctly I would have been one happy camper. But as usual they were not.

If examples like you stated would have been available again I would have been a happy camper. The two dates I was looking for were a 20D and 26D in MS64FB or MS65 no band. A couple of examples were seen but in my opinion the strikes were tooooooo weak for the collection that is being built. Another item that caught my eye on one of the 20D's was that the coin had this really weird white color. In other words it was a conserved coin that had made its way into a slab and this disqualifies the coin from getting into this guys collection.

In retrospect probably I should not have said Mercs are not available but I should have said Mercs that are worthy for the set that is being built were not available.

A little satisfation was had from attending the Portland Show. Hertage had the coins that were up for auction there and viewing them was a pleasure. Two caught my eye that were in the Bullet Auction. Guess what? They arrived here this morning. Probably if the coins had not been seen I never would have bid on them. All was not bad at Portland but I stilll maintain that Mercs are a whole lot harder to find than most folks believe.

Good Luck with the assembly of your Merc Set.

Take Care.
    Ken

Edit to add a comment about a 20D Merc.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion there are many keys to the series not just the 1916-D. It is very hard to find a handfull of dates in any uncirculated grades. I have placed a few circulated coins in my set as placeholders as I continue to search.

Ken was nice enough to fill me in on a few coins at the Heritage auction that would have met my lower end uncirculated coins, however, I will not be purchasing coins for a little while.

Congrats, mjr36cb, on finding some of the coins you need--it is always fun to find a coin or a group of coins at a show at a good price. You will find the many coins before 1930 are tough to locate in any uncirculated grades.

Check my list of coins needed in uncirculated grades below to get an idea of some of the tougher dates. In higher grades many of the early dates are really hard to find!

Good Luck!
    Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Well it looks like this was a fly in, hit the keys a little, then hit the road to never be seen again, post on the forum.

Oh Well.....

Ken
  • Options

Mike is kinda down in the dumps.
    He had a shipment of 15 raw Merc's, stolen last week.
    While in transit to me, someone opened the USPS envelope from the rear, and removed them. I imagine he's also busy filling out the PS1000!
  • Options
    Sorry to hear thatimage

• Options
    This probably doesn't belong here, but...
    Maybe there's a lesson to be learned...?
    In your excitement, maybe you shouldn't relate to certain people that you are mailing super coins, with the potential to be worth hundreds of dollars...
    Of all the blue envelopes (gin mills) in all of the world......
    Why that one?
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could conceivably find all of the Mercs in coin shops or eBay, but I've never had much luck at flea markets. The vendors tend to overgrade and overprice most of the coins, which are usually raw and common dates from the '30's and '40's. I'd also be very careful about buying raw coins on eBay, and would check the seller's return policy.

If you have 37 coins already, you've done well. The second half of the set will be a real challenge, though. Good luck, and let us know when you receive the results of your submission to PCGS.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    Funny you should mention flea markets. I would agree with you except in some markets. The ones where I live sell junk, even the coins. I went down to Tampa and hit a flea market there and paid $100 for the following (oh yeah, all FSB of course): 20-P; not a super coin, but I think it should go 63, 35-P; 64-65, 34-P(x2); both probably 64, 42-P; 64-65, 24-P; nice solid strike w/good patina 65, 44-S; absolutely the best I've ever bought raw, this may be my first 67 purchased raw....

Now for Ebay
    The bad....I purchased a 29-S on ebay. It will go 65....but it has a nick across both center bands....the seller said he had it in his collection for 20yrs....ok, fine, but it still isn't FSB's.....I'm sending it up to Jeff at VASBRO, he's going to do the analysis and let me know...but I suspect I'm right about this one....a real shame since it is a nice coin....by the way, allow me to put in a plug for Jeff...super nice guy who sells about a half-million dollars of inventory a month....his Ebay fees cost more in a month then I will spend on coins this year...but he'll talk to you like you just spent a million bucks in his shop.....ANA certified grader also.....VASBRO Coins in Norwich, CT

The good....From Jeff (please see above) I won a 66FB micro-s....then when we were talking on the phone I got a 20-P @ 65FB.....$227 for the micro-s, and $300 for the 20-P....

So, despite the PO's best try to discourage me I will continue to find those Merc's at wholesale prices...I will not, however, be sending anything unregistered again!!!!
  • Options
    Acknowledged....Speaking for myself, I know I don't have the means to afford the more exclusive dates in 65, 66, or 67. The only way I would be able to is if I got them from someone who really didn't know what they had...and of course it would most likely be raw...but those of us who are content to accept the occasional 61-64 for those dates in FB, its just a joy to have them for your set. I've got some nice hard to come by dates in for grading now....I will be thrilled when I finally get them back so I can add them in.....
  • Options
    I was out buying Merc's! Please read my latest good and bad luck inputs below.....
  • Options

You mean above.....?
  • Options
    Let me tell you right here and now,You are for sure a better Merc Dime buyer than I ever will be. The two examples that you gave, the Micro S and the 20P, for sure blows away any deal I have ever done on a Merc in those grades.

Basically what I try to do is buy slabbed coins at somewhere around Blue Sheet when buying on Ebay. When buying from auction I stick as close to the Heritage figures they give for each date. Most have been under their Low Figure. When buying from a dealer it is always between Gray Sheet Bid and Ask or possibly just over Ask if I really like the coin. If this criteria is not met the wait continues, in most cases.

Right at the moment the Mercs I have come in, totally , between the Heritage Index which is low in my opinion. Not bad for a bunch of coins before 1934 with just a few 30's and 40's with color thrown in.

Hey if you get another of those killer deals that you just do not care to buy, Get Ahold of Me.......image

Ken
  • Options
    If im reading correct,you bought the Micro s in MS 66 for $227?
    If so thats not a good deal,thats a steal.
    Al
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭
    I will sale you low cost Mercs! I press a Merc into a piece on tin foil to make a image, then cut it out. Looks and feels like the real thing! $10 each image
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spooly,

Sounds like you're still making fishing lures, image except that instead of using actual Mercs, you're now just making foil impressions.

Do you catch anything with them?

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    Jim
    You beat me to itimage.
    Al
  • Options
    Where did that Old Fart come from....Geez, he is still on our case....image

Ken
  • Options
    No no no........sorry Grip....did I say MS66...I meant MS66FB......yep, $227....I think I should clarify one thing though. This is not a PCGS coin at this time...it will be...but who knows what they will grade it at.....no doubt about the FSB's....nice and rounded, this is one hot coin...it deserves and should be graded at 66....

If it comes back at 66 I will sell it as I am putting together a standard set and don't really need it. I would be willing to trade it for one or more coins of equal value or sell outright. I am looking for a 45-P (aren't we all) in MS60-63 w/FSB's. In 63 I would be willing to trade one for one....lower grades would require cash or other Merc's that the other trader may have....

That 20-P that I got is just as fine in my opinion....but alas, I do need that one....

I will be sending the other 20-P that I got this past weekend in for grading.....it is FSB's and should go 62 or 63, and it is a solid strike....these things go like crazy on ebay...I know that you already know that the 20-P was the highest minted Merc between 1916 and 1936.....and I know that good strikes are hard to find...but why is this such a pricey coin for such a high mintage????
  • Options
    good luck finding a 45p in 63fsb in a pcgs holder, there are very few
    and they will bring more than a micro s in 66fb, probable about $500 more in value
    you may be able to get a 64fb for 3k if you are lucky, I sold my last 63fsb 45p
    to a dealer for $1450 and he sold it to another dealer the next day and made money
    I think retail on a 66fb mocro-s is around 1k in a pcgs holder.
    Tim
    (THE POSTON COLLECTION) of merc dimes
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • Options
    I'll buy it raw....just has to have FSB's.....current guide has the 66FB mircro at $1300.....if I were to trade straight up thats the value I would put on it....sold outright I would take $1000...depends how long I'm willing to hold onto it....once I get the money in my hand I'll be tempted to buy something else so I probably should wait until I can get the 45...I've got someone looking for me....thanks for your input....
  • Options
    good luck finding a raw 45p in fsb that has not been altered and getting it slabbed by pcgs
    and trust me the price guide is not that accurate, heritage auctions would give you a better
    idea of what they would sell for to another collector.
    Tim
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • Options
    Ditto.
    heritage auctions would give you a better
    idea of what they would sell for to another collector.
    AL
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip on Heritage and everything else guys....Tim, I will try desperately hard not to make to many mistakes....trust me....
  • Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    I'm agreeing with Tim. I think the 45-P in 63FB will bring $400.00 - $500.00 more than your 45 micro S in 66FB, and you need to be very very careful buying a raw 45-P FB as some have had a little body work if you know what I mean.

Tim, Al, Ken, and most of the rest on this board are good people to listen to about Mercs. They've sure helped me a lot over the last 1 1/2 years!

Regards,

Wayne, AKA Clem
    Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mjr,

I'm too lazy to read thru this thread fully (well you know it's Fridayimage) but I agree those fellas that wayne just mentioned and yes I'd buy a slabbed 45P too under any and all circumstances. You'll save lots of heartaches listening up here my friend.

Good Luck...oh and before I forget - post more often - it has been a few weeks or more since we had a 20+ post thread with Merc interest image

Marc