Home PSA Set Registry Forum

How did I do?

I just got back my 50 cards that I submitted under the "vintage common 1960 - 1971" option. This was my first "real" submission where I louped the cards and hoped for 8's. (To be honest, I only checked the corners, not the surfaces.)

I ended up with:

PSA 5 x 2
PSA 6 x 2
PSA 7 x 12
PSA 8 x 30
PSA 8 st x 1
PSA 9 x 3

Since I collect 7's as well as 8's, I was happy. My question is, is 66% respectable? What degree of accuracy do you guys expect/achieve?

Thanks,
Michael

Comments

• carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭
    I think you did great

Loves me some shiny!
  • Zodiac - Nice Lot! You did pretty well. Drop me a PM or email if your looking to move any 7,8, or 9's I may need.
    Thanks.
    RayBShotz
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

Depends on what you submitted and if any of the cards are in the 'low pop' category.

Overall, for 'vintage' cards from the 60s or 70s, I think you did alright for your first 'real' submission!
  • Not exactly a bell curve, but I think those are very decent scores on '60-71 cards. If you collect 7 & 8, the 9's might help pay for the submission if you can let go of them. What are the 9's?
  • Zodiac - looks good. Main thing is you're happy. Gotta love the 9's.
    Wanted:
    1961 Topps FB PSA 8
    1970 Topps FB PSA 9
  • Toppsgun,

The 9's were:

11748183 1969 TOPPS 239 BOB TAYLOR N/A 9 (1 of 4)
    11748184 1969 TOPPS 247 GENE OLIVER N/A 9 (1 of 6)
    11748218 1969 TOPPS 518 FRED WHITFIELD N/A 9 (1 of 1)

Needless to say, I am very happy with those numbers. As a matter of fact, I am pleased with the entire submission. I just wasn't sure if 66% was a respectable "hit" ratio since this was my first submission. I'm still curious how well everybody else does perentage wise.

(I think this post makes me a "Senior Member" - hooray for me!)

• If you collect 7 or better, then it looks like 45 out of 50 to me.
    That's 90% which is an "A" in my book. Since you collect 7's then they are useful even if you hope for 8's.
    66% though is a great start and it will get better with time. I have had guys tell me that they usually hit 85 to 90% as experienced submitters.
    I did talk to a guy once who said he submitted 242 66T BB hopeing for 9's which were really hot at the time and got 100% 8's. He was disappointed. That is the biggest vinatge hit rate I have heard of to date.
    And congrats on that hard earned "Senior" title.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Cha-ching on the 9's, esp. Whitfield.
  • theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    If you flip the Whitfield, you will do well...
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Based on my online conversations and talking to some dealers at the Houston Tri-Star show in January, the median "success rate" seems to be around 70% -- that is, if you get 70% or better of the grades you expect on each card submitted, you're doing well in your pre-submit evaluations. OK, 90% is an A and 70% is a C, right? So that means that if you hit 70%, there's room for improvement, right? Well, maybe not. Grading is done by humans and there's never a "black and white" to what grade a particular grader will give a particular card. But one thing is for sure based on EVERYBODY'S comments -- The more experienced you get with submitting, the higher your percentage of being right. I'd say that was a fine submission.

Scott
  • WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I have noticed that if I submit commons from a large quantity of vending (say 1980's for example), I can hit well over 90% in 9's and 10's. Although I'm sure that I pass up a lot of 9's because I'm trying to eliminate any 8's. If you are picky enough, you can almost eliminate all bad grades but you seriously cut down on your profits. You have to balance it out.