Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

New 1957 BB Set Listed

Pardon the spam please, but I wanted to post that I just listed my newest set, a 1957 Topps baseball 91% complete with a 7.71 GPA. Right now it is ranked #14, but given the makeup of those ahead of me, I ought to rank in the top ten by the time it is finished because I want to try and finish it with 8's.

All of the key cards - except Drysdale - are 8's, with nothing lower than a 7, all NQ. The set is currently closed, and I'm going to leave it that way until I get near the end because the competiton for 8's is just downright nuts (last week a PSA 8 common - Phillips #307 - sold for $511). If anyone has any 8's for sale however, I would be more than happy to work with you!!

The guts of the set is a group of HOF'er cards I have had for some time, but the biggest portion is the set Joe Delgrippo was offering in early January, which I bought a couple of weeks later. I also want to give props to Levi and Mickey's Sportscards for their help!

I just love this set, and apparently many others do too because it is a crowded field.

Steve

Comments

• Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Wait till you try to find a Naragon or Garcia.

It's probably the 50s set I'd choose, even over 52T or any Bowman set. Something about it just seems pure. The uncluttered photos in the first purely photographic Topps set, the simple design elements, the totally nostalgic feel of it being the last year before the NYC triad was unceremoniously split up, not to mention a solid checklist (oh, but for a Musial) and some top tier rookies, makes it one of the all-time great sets.

But since other people with much deeper pockets came to that realization long before me, I take the "birdwatcher" approach where I just keep track of the cards I've seen without having to actually possess them.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    Helio - Fortunately I have the Naragon and Garcia in 8, so I'm over that hurdle! I know that centering is always a problem in nearly every set , but working on this set really drives it home.

One thing I found interesting, and bears no relation to this set. I hit the "ready for review" button to list the set on Saturday, not expecting it to show up until Tuesday or so. I'll be darned if if didn't pop up last night, so I guess the elves at PSA work weekends these days.......
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    i knew you had to be into 57's with the centering on those 6's you had up.

i love the kaline...very close to a 7

loth
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Welcome to the chase. I just moved into 4th on the active list. Your GPA of 8.15 is quite impressive! I have #84, 199, 246 and 252 all in PSA 8 up on EBAY now.

The Red Sox card in PSA 8 is pretty tough also. Good Luck!
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    Frank -

I'm flattered but I'm afraid I cannot claim an 8.14 GPA, mine is "only" 7.71. However I now have a Drysdale PSA8 and when combined with recent purchases my set ought to move up a little...

Steve
  • Options
    highendhighend Posts: 534
    as helionaut said, the 57 set marks the end of an era. not to long ago i put the finishing touches on a raw ex-nm set. i found the bunning to be very tough in any grade. i picked up a psa 5 and cracked it. i did this with many others as well. i found the set to be a challenge as i only wanted well centered examples in the end it was very rewarding.........enjoy. IMO, easily one of topps best three efforts of the 50's.
  • Options
    Good luck with your '57 set...strange for some reason this is my least favorite set...something I don't like about it...so it's great that others appreciate it...that's part of the hobby I guess...I can relate to the finding the last few cards...I need 17 to finish my '59 set...I've been stuck there for months...I think I could have been done if it hadn't been my "anal" search for the perfect 50/50 card...oh, well that's another story...go idea about not showing your hand...my guess that some folks might make it real hard to find those you are missing...
    Henri
    Collector
    Topps 58,59,60,61,62,63,64 Sets
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets