Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Best pitchers of the pitchers era - late 60's and 70's

Since we have a thread about whether Blyleven should go in the hall, I thought it would be interesting to rate the best pitcher of the the late 60's and 70's. My list would be in the following order.

10 - Phil Niekro
9 - Gaylord Perry
8 - Don Sutton
7 - Catfish Hunter
6- Fergie Jenkins
5 - Nolan Ryan
4 - Jim Palmer
3 - Bob Gibson
2 - Steve Carlton
1 - Tom Seaver

Why is Ryan only in fifth place? Great strikeout pitcher, but not as good an overall pitcher as the the one's in front of him.
Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.

Comments

• Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    In the late 60's and early 70's I doubt Ryan could be ranked in front of pitchers like Lolich, Tiant, Marichal, Koosman, Osteen, Singer, Dierker, McNally, McDowell, McLain, Stottlemyre, etc.

Niekro and Perry are iffy inmy book too.

For example, in 1969 he pitched but 90 innings going 6-3 with an era around 3.5 and struck out
    92. in 1970 he was 7-11 in about 130 innings of work with about the same era and 125 SO's.
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    I hate to be the forum cop, but posts like this belong in the Sports forum (not the Registry forum).
  • Options
    I believe once you reach 15,000 posts you automatically become a moderator image

I also heard you get that job after 5,000 edits (which is my angle..obviously).
  • Options
    You'll probably beat me with the edit clause.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I would not put Seaver in the #1 spot. Carlton should be there, and not because I am a Phillies fan.

Where is Marichal and Koufax? Koufax had one of the most dominating 5/6 year stretches ever, and Marichal was very consistent.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options

<< <i>Koufax had one of the most dominating 5/6 year stretches ever >>

True, but that was early 60's. The title of this thread was late 60's and early 70's. Looking only at this time frame, I would have to put Palmer at the top of the list. image Followed by Carlton and Seaver.

Robert
    Looking for:
    Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
    High grade Redskins (pre 1980)
  • Options
    From 1968-73, I would have to add Wilbur Wood to any list.
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Ahh Wilbur Wood - the last pitcher to win 20 games and lose 20 games - in the same season.

In 1973, Wood went 24-20 and in the process pitched 359 innings!!!
    What's more is. . .in 72, he was 24-17 and threw a totally ridiculous 376 innings! I mean did the White Sox go to a 3-man rotation for 72?
    In 1974, he was 20-19 - but was a slacker since he only threw 320 innings.

I know Steve Carlton was the last pitcher to top 300 innings in a season (1980), but I wonder when was the last pitcher to record 40 decisions. I consider 40 decisions in a season to be pretty important since 40 decisions increases the chances that 30 of those decisions will be wins.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    Wilbur Wood (1971)
    22-13, 1.91 ERA, 334 IP, 22 CG, 62 BB, 210 K's, 1.00 WHIP

His team was 79-83
  • Options
    last guy to start both games of a double-header.

Knucleballers.......now that's what's wrong with baseball.
    just ask all the red Sox fans image
  • Options
    Vargha> Still not sure anyone will ever top Carlton's 72 season where he won 27 - and the Phillies were 59-97. That's 45.8% of his team's wins. On a team that bad, I'm not sure anyone's going to get that many starts in this day and age.

Mike
  • Options
    I guess I feel bad now for starting the Blyleven post on this board.

However, I try to add the note at the end about which one of his cards were the toughest to find (not many responses to this). I've been searching for a decent RC of his from 71 but haven't found anything in a while.
  • Options
    Carlton was phenomenal. I was a Redbird fan when they got rid of him. I remember thinking, "That greedy SOB! No ballplayer is worth $100K."
  • Options
    David> Are you saying the "Rick Wise Era" in St Louis wasn't all it was cracked up to be?

Mike
  • Options
    It was better than the Ernie Broglio era in Chicago, that's for sure.
  • Options
    *grimaces*
    wow David. . .you sure do know how to hurt a guy
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love Carlton, but if we are looking at the era of 66-75, I don't see how anyone could be better than Seaver.
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    mcastaldi - Phil Niekro, with a 21-20 season in 1979, was the last man to both win and lose 20 in the same year. He was also the last man to record 40 decisions in a season (and no one has started more than 40 games in a season since then). He threw 342 innings that year, finishing a 3-year streak that totaled just over 1000 innings pitched.

How scary is it that Wood's 376 IP season is almost 10 complete games short of the single season record for innings pitched, held by Ed Walsh (464 1/3). IMO, that is the most unbreakable modern record in baseball, because of the revamping of a team's roster that would need to happen for it to be broken. [Of course, I'm putting aside records like best fielding percentage by a first baseman or outfielder in a season, since those are already at 1.000 and are technically unbreakable.]

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    LJB17LJB17 Posts: 252 ✭✭

<< <i>Ahh Wilbur Wood - the last pitcher to win 20 games and lose 20 games - in the same season. >>

1979 Phil Niekro was 21-20 with a 3.30 ERA and pitched 342 innings.

<< <i>The title of this thread was late 60's and early 70's. >>

The title of the thread does not limit it to early 70's and I believe that is why many of the other players named have been left off. Koufax career ended in 66 and Marichal was as good as done after 73. I therefore have a problem with Gibson being on the list as well, since he did not really ptich after 74.

W L ERA G GS CG SHO IP BB SO
    Carlton 225 160 3.09 487 469 200 42 3482 1202 2683
    Seaver 235 133 2.56 455 449 197 52 3452 949 2887
    Ryan 167 159 3.46 396 362 169 42 2689 1646 2909
    Palmer 225 122 2.66 447 420 194 51 3274 1092 1927

This data is their complete pitching records through 1979 and since none of them ptiched before 1965 I believe it meets the criteria. This leads me to believe Seaver gets the award with Palmer pulling in 2nd. Add in the first few years of the 80s and Carlton and Ryan gain some ground.
    Looking for 77 cloth 9s and 10s.
    54 Red Hearts
    and now 64 Stand ups
  • Options
    Nick> I would definitely agree that the evolution of the game has made some records untouchable. . .

Cy Young's win mark. . .
    I would say Rose's hits mark - consider that's over twenty 200-hit seasons
    Henderson's stolen base mark - the stolen base just isn't as big a deal now
    Gibson's modern-era ERA mark for a season of 1.12

I do think the RBI record will fall eventually

Mike
  • Options
    Niekro......another damn knuckleballer

which one of his cards were the toughest to find (not many responses to this).
    perhaps his 1974 Topps Deckle Edge or '71 OPC, although niether are particularily tough and I don't know much about 'semi-vintage' cards.
  • Options
    Johnny Vander Meer's Back-to-Back No-Hitters will not be broken. It would be pretty hard to tie it, but 3 is just not going to happen.

54 Red Hearts
    and now 64 Stand ups
  • Options
    ljb17 - You should add Fergie Jenkins to your listing of the great pitchers from 1966-1979:

During that time he was 245-181, had 7 20-win seasons, started 486 games, pitched 3,798 innings, had 47 shutouts, had an era just over 3, and had 2,908 strikeouts against only 789 walks!!!!!!

Many of those stats would top the list that you had. Im not saying he was the best of the best, but he should be included on that listing.

Keith
  • Options
    Keith,

I should definitely have included Fergie and maybe a couple others. I just decided to grab those that were being discussed. Fergie was a big miss though.

Luke
    54 Red Hearts
    and now 64 Stand ups
  • Options
    shorter span but what about Vida Blue
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Nick> I would definitely agree that the evolution of the game has made some records untouchable. . .

Cy Young's win mark. . .
    I would say Rose's hits mark - consider that's over twenty 200-hit seasons
    Henderson's stolen base mark - the stolen base just isn't as big a deal now
    Gibson's modern-era ERA mark for a season of 1.12

I do think the RBI record will fall eventually

Mike

Henderson's stolen base mark could be broken, if a manager wants to let his best baserunner run whenever he has a good chance to steal. The game has changed, but not in a fashion where it couldn't easily change back.

Rose's hits mark is 200 for 21 seasons plus a few, but when the top hitters can get 230 hits in a season, nothing puts it into the unacheivable category.

Gibson's ERA record would take a lot of luck to beat, but when a Greg Maddux can get a 1.56 ERA, or Pedro Martinez a 1.74 ERA with Fenway as his home park, I don't think it's out of the question.

Cy Young's win total would be by far the toughest of any you mentioned, but the game has not made it impossible. A top pitcher now will get about 35 starts a season, and could readily win 20 to 22 of them [most of the best current pitchers average 17 wins per full season played over their careers]. Then he just has to keep that pace up for 25 years.

Each of those records could be done by someone who is simply better than anyone else around him (and plays for a very long time, in the case of the career records). None of them affect teammates the way that having one pitcher start over 50 games would.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    I'm not a gambling man, but Young's record of 511 wins, is so untouchable I'd bet money on it. No matter how you look at it, nothing barring the return of the 2-man rotation and the real strike zone would allow anyone to approach it. Breaking it down to numbers, if you won 30 games a season, you have to have 17 seasons, and you'd still be one win short. Greg Maddux just set the record for consistency by winning 15 games or more for 16 years. You'd have to be about 2 Greg Madduxes to do that. Or 17 wins for 30 years.

Vander Meer's ho-hitters I could see being matched, of not surpassed. Look at it this way, it's 2 games. If you throw one no-hitter, you're halfway there. Is there a record for consecutive no-hit innings? Didn't Nolan Ryan precede or follow up one of his no-hitters with a 2-hitter or something?

I love Wilbur Wood. I have a soft spot for flameouts, early deaths, ghastly injuries, things like that. If he had been just a little luckier, he might've done some historic stuff, I think.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    Nick> Just to put some of these in perspective. . .

Henderson's 1406 steals translates into 70 a year for 20 years. Or 100 a year for 14 years. While a manager may let a guy run, I don't know he'd be able to run that much and for that many years. Plus, assume he's on the 14-year-plan and is going to steal 100 a year. Over 14 years, how many managers will he play for in that time? 3? 4? Will all of them turn him loose? If he's all that, then maybe. But that's not the way most managers handle games today.

To break Cy Young's wins record, you'd need twenty five 20-win seasons. Think about that for a minute. Just not going to happen.

Something to consider with regard to the ERA mark. . .only so much of it is in the pitcher's hands. The defense around him plays a part in that too. Perhaps could be done, but I think it's pretty unlikely. Certainly not with the diluted pitching in today's game and the super-bulked-up hitters today.

On Rose's hits mark. . .sure top hitters can get 230 hits per year. But at that pace, they'd need to average that for 18 years. Ichiro is averaging 220 hits per year. He'd only need to keep doing that for 16 more years.

Mike
  • Options
    The game will have to return to the early 60's Dodgers baseball or the mid 80's (Vince Coleman or Rickey Henderson) for a shot of someone breaking the stolen base record. Three run homers are the prefered method of scoring in today's game and the best way to make the bucks. If you can hit 15-20 homers a year, even though you strike out a bazillion times you can hang around a long time. Jose Hernandez comes to mind quickly.

Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.
  • Options
    One other add . . . from 1968-75 Andy Messersmith was 112-77 with a 2.65 ERA. He was on my Strat-O-Matic team as a kid.
  • Options
    Breaking Gibsons ERA record is much more likely IMO than breaking Hornsbys .424 mark for example. Maddux was phenomenal.

Rose's career hit total is more likely to fall than Young's 511 wins. Gehrigs consecutive game streak was once thought to be untouchable. So was Ruth's HR total, and many other records.

But the game would have to be radically changed for anyone to approach 511 wins. Who is going to pitch for 25 years? Only Walter Johnson has surpassed the 400 mark.

An underrated single season record is for triples. No one has even cracked the top 25 in the post WW II era.
  • Options
    For someone to break Gibson's ERA record, they will probably have to raise the mound back up to the height it was at during that time.

Remember, they lowered the mound right after that incredible pitchers season to help the hitters.

During that same season of Gibson's low ERA, Drysdale had the 58+ scoreless inning streak, McLain won 31 games, and there were an incredible number of shutouts that year...I think Tiant had a ton of shutouts that year too.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Remember, they lowered the mound right after that incredible pitchers season to help the hitters.

I have always hoped the mound would be rasied back up. I thought it was lowered by 9", but I am not certain.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options