Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Registry/OPC/SGC advice needed

I have completed 1968 (missing six), 1970,1971,1973 and 1975 OPC baseball sets that I planned to submit to the registry. I sent a number of the cards to SGC for grading, and was shocked at some of low grades. I realize that many of us think our cards deserved a better grade, but I only sent cards I thought were NM or better and received some 60-80 grades. I haven't received the graded cards yet, but maybe I underestimated the centering factor. Question: is SGC simply a stricter grader of older cards than PSA? Do they take into account O-pee-chee's natural rough-cut and bad centering? Also, what are your thoughts on splitting the grading between PSA, SGC and others? That is, will the completed set be more attractive if one company, versus a few, grades it?
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin

Comments

• Options
    On the contrary SGC is much easier on centering than PSA. MUCH easier.

PSA definitely brings more money than other graded cards. It is likely because the PSA set registry is so well established as compared to other grading companies.

Rough edges hurt cards. It doesn't matter if it's a trait of OPC cards or not. It simply makes finding high grade OPC cards harder than other issues. That's why OPC hockey is worth more than Topps.
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • Options
    rougher edges dont detract from the grade that much with PSA, eye appeal is sometimes lacking though. too bad OPC decided to use a butter knife to cut their cards.
  • Options

<< <i>rougher edges dont detract from the grade that much with PSA, eye appeal is sometimes lacking though. too bad OPC decided to use a butter knife to cut their cards. >>

Really? They do when I submit!!
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    actually, they were cut with a wire.
  • Options
    Actually, they were cut with rotten teeth...

OPC high grade comparison:

75% of 1965 OPCs PSA graded (206 cards) received a 7-10, 47% SGC graded (3
    4) received 84-100

1966 OPC - PSA 83%, SGC 57%
    1967 OPC - PSA 58%, SGC 56%
    1968 OPC - PSA 79%, SGC 76%
    1969 OPC - PSA 63%, SGC 52%
    1970 OPC - PSA 60%, SGC 36%
    1971 OPC - PSA 76%, SGC 67%
    1973 OPC - PSA 81%, SGC 83%
    1974 OPC - PSA 80%, SGC 63%
    1975 OPC - PSA 90%, SGC 87%
    1976 OPC - PSA 83%, SGC 64%
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    Interested info. But I would want to see examples of those cards to decide who was tougher.

I guarantee PSA is tougher on centering. You won't get a qualifier with SGC.
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    Since PSA graded cards command a bigger price in the market...it would make sense to send the best raw examples to PSA instead of SGC

is there any other year where the graded populations are bigger , both have graded so few that its hard to make a point either way

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    While a small sample size can skew %, some years below have enough to warrent a good comparison. That is, PSA seems a bit more lenient on vintage OPCs.

# Graded OPC (to complement previous % reference I posted)

1965 - PSA 206, SGC 34
    1966 - PSA 244, SGC 14
    1967 - PSA 64, SGC 18
    1968 - PSA 293, SGC 54
    1969 - PSA 192, SGC 21
    1970 - PSA 108, SGC 28
    1971 - PSA 326, SGC 67
    1973 - PSA 444, SGC 47
    1974 - PSA 120, SGC 30
    1975 - PSA 426, SGC 62
    1976 - PSA 90, SGC 22
  • Options
    Welcome to the boards.

I don't have any experience with submitting the issues you speak of but would think there are a few on this board who do.

Have you already submitted similar cards from your sets to PSA for a comparison? It seems to me it would depend whether you intend to add your sets to the SGC registry or PSA's? If you decide to opt for PSA then you will need to crack (or crossover) the cards already graded by SGC and submit them to PSA wont you? This should give you (and others if you decide to share the results) a great guideline for each company's grading standards.

Best of luck with your grades.

Nick
    UK based card nut currently working on several sports & non sports sets on the psa registry.
    ebay id: bongobell
  • Options
    Forgot to mention, if you didn't already know, psa are running a set registry special this month for cards issued 1972 onwards. $5 per card 25 card minimum 35 day turnaround. Maybe you could try some of your '73 & '75 cards and see what happens.

Best of luck

Nick
    UK based card nut currently working on several sports & non sports sets on the psa registry.
    ebay id: bongobell
  • Options
    Thanks for the good advice. I just sent 33 1975 OPCs to PSA in order to take advantage of their special. The 1973 OPCs are notorious for their bad cuts/centering, so I'll leave that set raw. I'll probably send the entire 1968 set (196) cards when another special comes up. The 1970 and 1971 will be split with SGC.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    One thing you need to factor in your numbers is that most of the cards submitted to SGC are star or minor star cards. There are far more commons submitted to PSA. Very few people are going to submit a common that is not going to come back at least a 7.

For OPC baseball it would probably be beneficial to complete a set utilizing both holders. There are very few sets registered and probably not many people working on graded sets. Not too many dealers are submitting OPC cards with the idea of selling commons for a lot of money. Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    I look at that data and conclude that PSA customers have nicer cards.